HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Jan 13, 2008, 1:01 AM

Culinary Adventure in Paris - 11/21/06

This is probably a different thread than you're used to seeing on this forum. However, because food is such a huge part of French culture, and Parisian culture in particular, I feel that this post is appropriate. Last fall my girlfriend and I went to L'ambroisie, the 3 Michellin star restaurant that Chirac took the Clintons to on a state visit, and it was the best meal either of us have ever had. We're not newbies either, having gone to the Fat Duck outside London and nearly all of the great restaurants in New York City. I highly recommend a visit if you have the desire. A word of warning: lunch for 2 was 389 euros (approx. $575), excluding wine and bottled water. Let me know what you think.

1. Me, in front of the restaurant.

2. Inside the main dining room

3. Table setting

4. Amuse Bouche: Sea Bass with Fennel

5. My Appetizer: Foie Gras

6. Her Appetizer: Escargot

7. My Main Course: Pigeon

8. Her Main Course: Filet De Bouef

9. Amuse Bouche: White Cheese Sorbet

10. My Dessert: Tarte Fine Sable au Cacao Amer, Glace a la Vanilla

11. Her Dessert: Veloute de Mangues en Minestrone, Babas Bouchon au Rhum

12. Petit Four

13. Floral Arrangement on our table

14. Our waiter, perfect service.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2008, 1:09 AM
Eurosceptic

the only thing better than photos of cities... is photos of food... the foie gras looks sublime

Old Posted Jan 13, 2008, 1:12 AM

Truly, I've had a lot of foie gras in my life, and this was easily the best.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2008, 1:47 AM
Tokyo and Paris fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeaveli2682 View Post
However, because food is such a huge part of French culture, and Parisian culture in particular, I feel that this post is appropriate.
Not really, more Parisians eating in the 6,000 asian restaurants of the city than in these expensive restaurants.
But your dine look great.

Eating Pigeon.
Eating Escargo.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2008, 2:01 AM

First, I said "food" in general was a big part of Parisian culture. I didn't say that fine dining was mass popular culture there. It couldnt be, what with the expense and limited seating. I stand by my statement however because I still feel that establishments such as this play a big part in French culture both within the country and exported outside of it. Have you ever eaten pigeon? Somehow I doubt they picked the pigeon off the street.

Last edited by Mikeaveli2682; Jan 13, 2008 at 2:15 AM.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2008, 2:39 AM
Tokyo and Paris fan

Quote:
Have you ever eaten pigeon? Somehow I doubt they picked the pigeon off the street.
Yes I did and I dislike it (everyone have different taste)
Of course they did not pick pigeons in the street. (imagine eating the pollued urban pigeon)

Old Posted Jan 13, 2008, 8:03 PM

Looks nice and tasty.

A bit too trasitional for my taste however.

Thanks for this unusual thread!

Old Posted Jan 14, 2008, 8:37 AM

I had pigeon a couple of months ago at the Closerie des Lilas. I bet it was not as fine as that served at L'ambroisie, but I liked it.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2008, 9:51 AM

yum yum...

Old Posted Jan 15, 2008, 6:23 AM
Look at me!

Excellent tour, excellent photos of an excellent restaurant....but "My Main Course: Pigeon"? I wouldn't touch pigeon to save my mother's life!

Old Posted Jan 15, 2008, 11:49 AM

OH YES you would! If no one told you what it was you would have gobbled the entire thing up. My girlfriend and I both agreed that it was the best dish.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2008, 7:39 PM

Actually all of it looks good but the Piegeon. It just doesn't look inviting to me, and for me I would just question right away what is that.

One thing for sure the French knows how the make food look so good, like a piece of art. I could sit and look at this all day, but really the only thing I would eat are the desserts, and maybe the Filet De Bouef. Now some things I'm willing taste once. But even it I like something, I still have hang ups about certain things, piegeons, boars, deer, frogs, fish (and I do like the taste of some, but won't eat for the most part), duck, and numerous other animals.

Anyway what really catches my eye is your appetizer, Foie Gras. It looks so good, and inviting. I know its probably something I won't eat, but could you tell me what's in it, is it some sort of fish?

Now with all that said, I really enjoy this thread, I'm sure it was all pretty good.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2008, 9:18 PM

Foie Gras is one of the richest things you could ever eat. It's duck or goose liver pate. Here's a wikipedia link so you can read all about it. After you read it, I'm sure you won't want to eat it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foie_gras

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisLA View Post
Actually all of it looks good but the Piegeon. It just doesn't look inviting to me, and for me I would just question right away what is that.

One thing for sure the French knows how the make food look so good, like a piece of art. I could sit and look at this all day, but really the only thing I would eat are the desserts, and maybe the Filet De Bouef. Now some things I'm willing taste once. But even it I like something, I still have hang ups about certain things, piegeons, boars, deer, frogs, fish (and I do like the taste of some, but won't eat for the most part), duck, and numerous other animals.

Anyway what really catches my eye is your appetizer, Foie Gras. It looks so good, and inviting. I know its probably something I won't eat, but could you tell me what's in it, is it some sort of fish?

Now with all that said, I really enjoy this thread, I'm sure it was all pretty good.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2008, 9:23 PM
Eurosceptic

Quote:
Foie Gras is one of the richest things you could ever eat. It's duck or goose liver pate. Here's a wikipedia link so you can read all about it. After you read it, I'm sure you won't want to eat it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foie_gras
I see the foie gras wikipedia article has been greatly improved. Last time I checked.. it was mostly propaganda with very little about what foie gras is, its preperation, history and importance in french cuisine.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2008, 10:23 PM

I can second the deliciousness of pigeon. I had it at L'Arpege. Unbelievable! That was one of my most memorable meals.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2008, 9:54 PM

L'Arpege! I really wanted to go there. How was it? I've heard great things about that restaurant.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2008, 2:29 PM

fancy plates!!! but.....if you are ever in portland, let me spend a third of that budget and cook you a bitchin tuscan meal with vino to boot......i can't compete with the ambiance though.....the best you get out of south east portland is a view of the hospital and the sweet sweet sounds of my neighbors harley.......im pretty jealous of your meal though.....

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos