HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Feb 26, 2016, 9:47 PM

I really like the building.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2016, 9:13 PM

Purchasing more land.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjs5056 View Post
Why is ASU even considering purchasing land without having specific plans for the programs/facilities that require such a large amount of space? AFAIK, no additional programs have been chosen for relocation since the Law School, meaning there's no reason the original space plans need to be expanded. They've yet to build the housing uses on Polk/2nd St and Central/Fillmore, medical uses on 2nd St/Fillmore, or redevelop the University Center. With none of those projects in the pipeline, why was a city block needed?

These were funds that could've been used to build the first student housing units since the campus launched; to purchase buildings like the Republic garage for redevelopment to add restaurants, bars, and shops on Taylor that make the campus attractive for students; to look for innovative ways of bringing economic development and jobs to downtown - like partnering with Best Western on a new HQ, flagship hotel, and class space for a relocated Tourism and Hospitality program; or, to develop a plan for how the art program's presence in the Warehouse District should evolve.
When are you people going to start trusting that Michael Crow is a Pro? The guy knows what the hell is doing. Sit back relax and watch the miracles continue. The guy is the most innovative University President in the U.S. what is it going to take to earn your trust?

Old Posted Feb 29, 2016, 6:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixwillrise View Post
When are you people going to start trusting that Michael Crow is a Pro? The guy knows what the hell is doing. Sit back relax and watch the miracles continue. The guy is the most innovative University President in the U.S. what is it going to take to earn your trust?
I'm not judging his abilities as a President; in fact, I am sure that he is far removed from the decisions being made downtown. But, sorry, he has failed both Tempe and Phoenix when it comes to integrating ASU into the city and community as was promised.

I don't care what "his" plans are for that land, and the ABOR admitted that they didn't have a clue either. Considering the amount of vacant land already under ASU ownership, and the fact that every single one of their projects has been a single-use low/midrise, the last thing ASU should be getting is MORE land. While promising to assimilate into downtown, ASU has now restricted public access to two historic buildings (AE England and the Post Office). semi-restricted a 3rd (with their clinic on the ground floor of the Ho), and built a lowrise fitness center NEXT TO the community YMCA while limiting resident access to the full services provided.

There is nothing urban about downtown ASU aside from the fact that streets cut through it. Otherwise, the public is pretty much trespassing between Fillmore-VB, 1st Ave-2nd St. The one thing they did right - the park - is now going to be lined with their own real estate. Screw that.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2016, 8:55 PM

Phoenix Biomedical Campus Biosciences Partnership Building was topped off today (Downtown Phoenix)

Old Posted Mar 3, 2016, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaBass View Post

Phoenix Biomedical Campus Biosciences Partnership Building was topped off today (Downtown Phoenix)
Very impressive height for 10 stories. The floors are very tall I noticed to accommodate for the research needs I presume. I think this is actually more like 16 stories by other standards of commercial and residential towers.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2016, 10:09 PM

Those do look big. Will be nice for some variety.

I asked the contact listed on the latest PBC presentation I could find for an update and she responded and let me know she'd get back to me (as you can imagine, it was lengthy). Glad they are building higher, but they really need to plan this stuff out again and include some sort of public process once it hits against Roosevelt Row. There's no reason that things like pharmacies, health clinics, nutrition shops, organic grocers, gyms, yoga, gift shops, and even professional offices like dentists or masseuses, couldn't be used to make this campus more connected.

Given all of the students involved, would a residential project not work? It's annoying that the current Cancer Center is so low and takes up about 75% of its lot and the two ASU lots will be dedicated to Cancer research and clinical uses, as well. Those could've been combined onto one lot... and, no more separated parking!

Old Posted Mar 7, 2016, 5:44 PM

Quote:
Those do look big. Will be nice for some variety.

I asked the contact listed on the latest PBC presentation I could find for an update and she responded and let me know she'd get back to me (as you can imagine, it was lengthy). Glad they are building higher, but they really need to plan this stuff out again and include some sort of public process once it hits against Roosevelt Row. There's no reason that things like pharmacies, health clinics, nutrition shops, organic grocers, gyms, yoga, gift shops, and even professional offices like dentists or masseuses, couldn't be used to make this campus more connected.

Given all of the students involved, would a residential project not work? It's annoying that the current Cancer Center is so low and takes up about 75% of its lot and the two ASU lots will be dedicated to Cancer research and clinical uses, as well. Those could've been combined onto one lot... and, no more separated parking!

Marina heights is the same way, the tallest building is only 16 floors, but the floor plates are like 12 or 14 feet high so in reality its like a 20+ story building.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2016, 6:23 PM

Pics of the new ASU Law Building taken March 19 2016

Old Posted Mar 27, 2016, 6:26 PM

Pics of the new Downtown PHX Biomedical Complex taken on 3/27/16.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2016, 3:50 AM

Deal with reality

Quote:
I'm not judging his abilities as a President; in fact, I am sure that he is far removed from the decisions being made downtown. But, sorry, he has failed both Tempe and Phoenix when it comes to integrating ASU into the city and community as was promised.

I don't care what "his" plans are for that land, and the ABOR admitted that they didn't have a clue either. Considering the amount of vacant land already under ASU ownership, and the fact that every single one of their projects has been a single-use low/midrise, the last thing ASU should be getting is MORE land. While promising to assimilate into downtown, ASU has now restricted public access to two historic buildings (AE England and the Post Office). semi-restricted a 3rd (with their clinic on the ground floor of the Ho), and built a lowrise fitness center NEXT TO the community YMCA while limiting resident access to the full services provided.

There is nothing urban about downtown ASU aside from the fact that streets cut through it. Otherwise, the public is pretty much trespassing between Fillmore-VB, 1st Ave-2nd St. The one thing they did right - the park - is now going to be lined with their own real estate. Screw that.
Phoenix isn't New York or Chicago be happy that they are reviving a dead downtown please stop complaining and look for the good.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2016, 4:07 AM

There's a lot of good to see, a lot of what is happening downtown is a result of asu's presence. The ASU athletic thingamabobber is actually open to ymca members and the students are walking all over the city making the whole area feel more vibrant.

Im not sure how you can be so delusional and fail to see all the good that has come from ASU downtown.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2016, 4:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky51 View Post
Pics of the new Downtown PHX Biomedical Complex taken on 3/27/16.

I think this will be my favorite Downtown building once it's completed, the copper looks pretty incredible. I can't believe it's going to have a UA logo on it

Old Posted Mar 29, 2016, 7:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
There's a lot of good to see, a lot of what is happening downtown is a result of asu's presence. The ASU athletic thingamabobber is actually open to ymca members and the students are walking all over the city making the whole area feel more vibrant.

Im not sure how you can be so delusional and fail to see all the good that has come from ASU downtown.
I've been told several times that only certain programs are open to YMCA members. Regardless, the historic post office within what was supposed to be a city civic space is inaccessible to the general public, as is the top floor of the A.E. Building during certain hours. ASU promised to integrate itself into the city and it has failed at doing that, plain and simple. The money provided to ASU in order to fast-track its construction was not petty change, so sorry if you don't like my criticism of their creation of an insular, lowrise, single-use educational district, but it isn't unwarranted.

I think the value of students on downtown is also overstated. They have had an impact surely, but why did it take a decade after its opening for there to be any large-scale investment from the private sector in the surrounding neighborhood? None of the adaptive reuse projects targeted students (the majority which are under 21) and there's only been one housing project aimed at this demo - Roosevelt Point. Where are the private housing projects being built in nearly every college city? Why hasn't ASU added to the residential base since the first dorms opened?

"This isn't NYC or Chicago" is a shitty argument. Phoenix's location doesn't necessitate shitty planning or design. They've created as many new parking lots as they have pretty midrises, and aside from 3 fast food joints at Walter Cronkite and Hsin Cafe + Starbucks at Taylor Place, have contributed nothing for downtown residents to use. The park was its one fabulous contribution when it had the potential to be surrounded by mixed income housing projects and the A.E. Building and Post Office were thought to be used as actual public spaces... with 1st Ave land banked, it's basically Hayden Lawn.

Yes, it's negative. But, this is a sub-section of a skyscraper forum that also discusses urban planning. Feel free to comment on how a 5-story recreation center in the heart of a downtown is great beyond "This isn't Chicago." My opinion is just as valid cheerleading of mediocrity.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2016, 1:33 PM

Do you want every inch of a learning facility to be open to anyone at any time?

Old Posted Mar 29, 2016, 4:03 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
...the historic post office within what was supposed to be a city civic space is inaccessible to the general public...
I have no connection to ASU, yet I've been able to use that post office without difficulty to mail packages.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2016, 5:07 PM

I also use that post office on an almost daily basis.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2016, 8:21 PM
METRO: Encanto

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
I also use that post office on an almost daily basis.
I use it on occasion as well it is no less public than it ever was.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2016, 4:25 AM

Half full or half empty?

Quote:
I've been told several times that only certain programs are open to YMCA members. Regardless, the historic post office within what was supposed to be a city civic space is inaccessible to the general public, as is the top floor of the A.E. Building during certain hours. ASU promised to integrate itself into the city and it has failed at doing that, plain and simple. The money provided to ASU in order to fast-track its construction was not petty change, so sorry if you don't like my criticism of their creation of an insular, lowrise, single-use educational district, but it isn't unwarranted.

I think the value of students on downtown is also overstated. They have had an impact surely, but why did it take a decade after its opening for there to be any large-scale investment from the private sector in the surrounding neighborhood? None of the adaptive reuse projects targeted students (the majority which are under 21) and there's only been one housing project aimed at this demo - Roosevelt Point. Where are the private housing projects being built in nearly every college city? Why hasn't ASU added to the residential base since the first dorms opened?

"This isn't NYC or Chicago" is a shitty argument. Phoenix's location doesn't necessitate shitty planning or design. They've created as many new parking lots as they have pretty midrises, and aside from 3 fast food joints at Walter Cronkite and Hsin Cafe + Starbucks at Taylor Place, have contributed nothing for downtown residents to use. The park was its one fabulous contribution when it had the potential to be surrounded by mixed income housing projects and the A.E. Building and Post Office were thought to be used as actual public spaces... with 1st Ave land banked, it's basically Hayden Lawn.

Yes, it's negative. But, this is a sub-section of a skyscraper forum that also discusses urban planning. Feel free to comment on how a 5-story recreation center in the heart of a downtown is great beyond "This isn't Chicago." My opinion is just as valid cheerleading of mediocrity.
Can we at least wait for the build out of the campus? I for one feel that incredible strides have been made downtown including what ASU has brought to the table. I think they have done a fantastic job of retaining and rehabbing old buildings and incorporating new buildings. My hat is off to the mayor and the President of ASU, Michael Crow. A big part of putting some ASU's colleges downtown is for those students to have access to real life situations and interact with people who are already in the work force in the same field as these colleges. Journalism because of the media outlets downtown, Law as most all of the courts and lawyers are downtown. Nursing because the medical campus is downtown. Did you forget that aspect of the whole point of having a downtown ASU Campus? Who gives a rats ass if you can't hang out at the post office? You can still do your mail stuff there. The park causes, God forbid, ASU students to rub elbows with homeless people again part of the real world. Wake up and smell the roses!!!

Old Posted Jul 29, 2016, 12:12 PM
self-important urbanista

Not directly related to UA or ASU, but the sale of the TGen building at the Biomedical Campus has been cancelled. "Billionaire doctor Patrick Soon-Shiong withdrew plans Thursday to buy the TGen building at the downtown Phoenix Biomedical Campus, city officials confirmed. Former Mayor Phil Gordon, representing Soon-Shiong's company NantWorks LLC, sent a letter to city staff saying the groups were "far apart" on terms of the deal after six months of negotiations. Gordon did not respond Thursday to requests for comment."

http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/...enix/87682624/

Old Posted Sep 14, 2016, 4:00 PM

Pics of new biomedical building taken on 9/13/2016

What a beautiful building!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest