HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jun 25, 2015, 4:01 AM
I took a bus pic, CIRRUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunt_q View Post
10 maybe? All from tinder girls probably.
Don't save those, creeper.

"Of course you're right." Cirrus

Old Posted Jun 26, 2015, 3:43 AM
I took a bus pic, CIRRUS

In Boston. Sweating on the Green Line. I miss RTD.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2015, 2:59 PM
cities|transit|croissants

^
But the Green line is so much fun! Oldest subway in the western hemisphere!

Old Posted Jun 26, 2015, 3:47 PM

Former Mountain West mod J Church who's no longer active on SSP but is active online at CalUrbanist.com produced a new FasTracks map:

calurbanist.com

Old Posted Jun 26, 2015, 5:10 PM
Aspiring Amateur

I see the Muni influence!

Old Posted Jun 26, 2015, 6:22 PM
BANNED

THAT is a beauty...even the welton extension will work on that map.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2015, 3:05 PM

On the subject of maps, apparently RTD has updated the official map to now include the FasTracks lines.

Here's what the authoritative Transit Maps Blog has to say about it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transit Maps Blog
Oh dear.

Denver’s map has never been as utterly bad as Salt Lake City’s previous efforts, but it’s also been curiously unwilling to change and adapt to the massive expansion that is has been undergoing in the last few years. A map style that was fairly compact and usable – if not that well drawn – when there were only five light rail lines heading south of the city (October 2011, 2 stars) has become incredibly unwieldy and spread out with the proliferation of new rail lines to all compas points under the FasTracks program. What once somewhat worked clearly no longer does.

The main problem with this map is the insistence on having perfectly circular fare zones with Union Station at the exact centre of the concentric rings. This creates some ridiculous levels of spatial distortion, especially on the new B and G lines to the north and northwest of Union Station. If concentric circles are a requirement, I’d suggest that a centre based on the radius of the loop around the western edge of the city would be a better starting point – it would certainly reduce the distance the B and G lines have to travel before reaching the edge of Zone 1!

I personally find the need to show the R Line’s quick little detour off I-225 to the Aurora Metro Center station completely unnecessary in a diagram like this, while downtown is a complete mess with the addition of the second MetroRide shuttle bus down 18th. Not only is the colour used for it very similar to the Green Line, but it also interferes with the directional arrows on the downtown light rail lines.

Our rating: A design that hasn’t moved with the times or the rapid expansion of Denver’s rail network, this map seems to be a slave to the decision to force the route lines (arguably the most important information) to conform to its concentric zone rings (secondary information) – not a great design choice. Getting worse, unfortunately. One-and-a-half stars.
I disagree with the opinion that the Aurora jog shouldn't be on the map. Deviating from the highway is going to be an obvious change for riders, so showing it on the map will help them orient.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2015, 3:55 PM

How does it make any sense that you can from Fitsimmons to the Federal Center and stay in the 1-2 zone local fare, which is basically all the way across Denver; but if you start at 36-McCaslin (where I live) and going beyond Sheridan, everything becomes Regional, even though it's no where near the distance traveled in the previous example.

I'm all for improved public transit, and do mock the Boulder Train complainers a bit, but come on, it does seem a little unfair that to get to anything in Denver becomes a regional fare from the Boulder/Broomfield area.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2015, 3:55 PM
I took a bus pic, CIRRUS

Cdot reporting improvements regarding I-70 driving. Improvements concern winter mountain driving. m.bizjournals.com/denver/morning_call/2015/06/colorado-reports-progress-on-i-70-mountain-winter.html

Old Posted Jun 30, 2015, 6:25 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerkman View Post
How does it make any sense that you can from Fitsimmons to the Federal Center and stay in the 1-2 zone local fare, which is basically all the way across Denver; but if you start at 36-McCaslin (where I live) and going beyond Sheridan, everything becomes Regional, even though it's no where near the distance traveled in the previous example.

I'm all for improved public transit, and do mock the Boulder Train complainers a bit, but come on, it does seem a little unfair that to get to anything in Denver becomes a regional fare from the Boulder/Broomfield area.
Because fare structures are not about what is fair. They are about collecting and maximizing fares. And as our system is largely a commuter system, the larger charges to ride (and the fare zone structure that enables that) is built around maximizing the revenues from those commuters and special events folks (those who don't have a pass, that is), while not screwing the transit-dependent population that relies more on local trips. McCaslin to Denver is regional - and mostly commuters, period. Federal Center to Fitz never leaves the city, and could just be some poor sap going from the East Colfax thrift store to the hospital - which he used to be able to do with a 15-to-16 bus transfer, but now takes the train instead. Poor saps... you remember those? I know you don't have them in Superior or Louisville, but surely at some point in your life you came across a poor person.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2015, 3:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunt_q View Post
Because fare structures are not about what is fair. They are about collecting and maximizing fares. And as our system is largely a commuter system, the larger charges to ride (and the fare zone structure that enables that) is built around maximizing the revenues from those commuters and special events folks (those who don't have a pass, that is), while not screwing the transit-dependent population that relies more on local trips. McCaslin to Denver is regional - and mostly commuters, period. Federal Center to Fitz never leaves the city, and could just be some poor sap going from the East Colfax thrift store to the hospital - which he used to be able to do with a 15-to-16 bus transfer, but now takes the train instead. Poor saps... you remember those? I know you don't have them in Superior or Louisville, but surely at some point in your life you came across a poor person.
I guess there isn't a poor sap in the 11,000 daily riders that would need to come into Denver...
http://denver.cbslocal.com/2015/06/3...n-flyer-buses/

Old Posted Jul 1, 2015, 4:41 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

Probably in Broomfield and Westy, where real people live, sure.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2015, 6:05 PM
BANNED

wonder why they aren't showing the extension up downing to 38th? thought that one was fully baked at this point.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2015, 6:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerkman View Post

McCaslin and US 36 to DUS
Shortest Distance Driving: 20 Miles
Flatiron Flyer Cost Classification: Regional (really unknown since they haven't finalized it as far as I know but I don't think that's a stretch)
Transfers: 0
Stops: 0-4 (depending on express or all station)
Transit Time: Approximately 25-38 minutes (depending on express or all station and extrapolated from Table Mesa estimates)

Fitzsimons to Fed Center (Notes: Assuming all rail as opposed to 15L to W since that seems to be what you are referring to)
Shortest Distance Driving: 17-18 miles
Future All Rail Cost: Local
Transfers: 2
Stops: 17
Transit Time: Approximately 1.5 hours (could be more or less depending on the final schedules and transfers)

I fail to see the equivalency in those trips other than being close in shortest driving distance. RTD is clearly offering a superior service for a Louisville to DUS type of trip. If RTD could justify a Fitzsimons to Fed Center Express bus I am sure they would charge the same price as a Louisville to DUS bus.

Last edited by bobg; Jul 1, 2015 at 6:50 PM.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2015, 6:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcp View Post
wonder why they aren't showing the extension up downing to 38th? thought that one was fully baked at this point.
Not funded or under construction.

They also excluded the SE extension which is funded and collected RFP's to build it a few months ago, but construction hasn't started.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2015, 8:24 PM
BANNED

thanks...they really need to update the color palette or buy the upgraded version of MS Paint that they use...or did we suddenly get through-lines?

blue - three versions??
green - three versions?
purple - two versions?
orange - two versions?

c'mon RTD...pink, brown, yellow, and other distinct colors do exist.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2015, 3:07 AM

The only reason to make every line a distinct color is if you're naming the lines by color (Red Line, Blue Line, etc). Since RTD doesn't do that anyway, they may as well fiddle with the map colors.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2015, 3:15 AM
BANNED

By fiddle, do you mean "fail"? Colors should be distinct too - otherwise, why have colors at all?

Old Posted Jul 2, 2015, 12:13 PM
of Gnomeregan

Can you actually use the RTD Map?

http://www.playbuzz.com/rickstruther...fb_ref=177_SNR

Old Posted Jul 2, 2015, 3:03 PM

I mean there's no good reason for RTD to keep using its existing colors, so they should change them.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West