HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jul 30, 2018, 3:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
The miners are doing fine digging coal for export to China.

CSX (railroad) hauls a lot of eastern coal from mines to export terminals:

https://www.csx.com

Revenue hauling coal is up 7% over last year.
Yeah, the port here in Norfolk, which is a big hub for Norfolk Southern(obviously), is doing great, a lot to do with coal exports.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2018, 4:10 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

I was under the impression that the US was mining increased amount of coal with a greatly decreased number of people.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2018, 6:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
What’s your definition of “freezing”?

I like 68 degrees F (20C) and start to feel uncomfortably warm at 75 degrees F (24C). If I’m driving I’ll set it even lower. I don’t want to sweat when I’m not wearing workout clothes.
geez. that would be freezing for me - we usually keep the thermostat around 76-77 during the day and 75 at night. then again, if i lived in a london like climate (and dressed like a londonder) it might make more sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtown,man View Post
I'll never understand the disdain for people who do manual labor. Not glamorous but it pays good and offers benefits, something most people are content with.
i don't think the disdain is for manual laborers, but for mining/extraction/depletion of pollution causing resources.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2018, 8:57 AM

Bitcoin "mining" uses vast amounts of power

Power use by air conditioning doesn't bother me. You need AC to live in certain parts of the world in comfort.

Power use by speculators mining bitcoins and other crypto-currencies bothers me a great deal. Supposedly 10% or more of the power used in South Korea and China are for bitcoin mining, which in my opinion is a stupid and needless use of power. Pull the plug.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2018, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabasse View Post
geez. that would be freezing for me - we usually keep the thermostat around 76-77 during the day and 75 at night. then again, if i lived in a london like climate (and dressed like a londonder) it might make more sense.
This has nothing to do with dress. I like 68-70 degrees when I’m in my apartment just wearing boxers. I have no tolerance for heat, or any kind of humidity.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Jul 30, 2018, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNative View Post
Power use by air conditioning doesn't bother me. You need AC to live in certain parts of the world in comfort.

Power use by speculators mining bitcoins and other crypto-currencies bothers me a great deal. Supposedly 10% or more of the power used in South Korea and China are for bitcoin mining, which in my opinion is a stupid and needless use of power. Pull the plug.
Yup.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2018, 3:46 AM

After having A/C problems this summer in Tucson, what scares me, down the road, is getting people to repair them, as who wants to go into a field where you may have to climb up into someone's attic, with temps of 140 degrees, to fix an A/C. With A/C repairmen so log-jammed, it took me 3 days, sweating, to find someone to fix it, and the guy was an incompetent, and had to wait once again to find someone who could fix it. My RE agent has been waiting 8 days, sweating like a hog, to get someone to fix hers. On the plus side of this profession, you work 7 days a week all summer long, and you get to take the entire winter off.

I was reading an article in Nati'l Geographic whereas as more people in the affluent tropical regions get A/C, there's a ratio, X number get A/C and it raises the temperature of the Earth 1 degree Farhenheit.

So by combatting climate change, we're also contributing to it.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2018, 1:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
This has nothing to do with dress. I like 68-70 degrees when I’m in my apartment just wearing boxers. I have no tolerance for heat, or any kind of humidity.
Strange issue, though... Sweating is no problem when you take your daily shower, just as any civilized individual does. I'm sure you do.
You may take 2 showers a day for heat waves by the way, that's no problem either.

If you're worried about what people may think about your sweat, I hear most women actually find fresh male sweat to be sexy, like a turn-on.
Not old stinky sweat! huh. You must take that daily shower.
But your fresh body fluids turn them on somehow.
I don't have a vagina and I don't like males at all, so I can't explain how or why, but it's a fact.

More seriously, sweating is just a natural body function that allows you to cool down when it's hot.
There's nothing much wrong or shameful about it.

In fact, not sweating when it's hot would rather be a health problem, I guess.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2018, 1:33 PM

^ Thanks, but I still don’t like being sweaty. It’s not about what anyone else thinks. I don’t like temperatures above 75F/24C. A bit warmer than that is fine with a breeze, but indoors, with still air, it needs to be cooler still.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Jul 31, 2018, 7:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMBY View Post
After having A/C problems this summer in Tucson, what scares me, down the road, is getting people to repair them, as who wants to go into a field where you may have to climb up into someone's attic, with temps of 140 degrees, to fix an A/C. With A/C repairmen so log-jammed, it took me 3 days, sweating, to find someone to fix it, and the guy was an incompetent, and had to wait once again to find someone who could fix it. My RE agent has been waiting 8 days, sweating like a hog, to get someone to fix hers. On the plus side of this profession, you work 7 days a week all summer long, and you get to take the entire winter off.
I pay around $250 every year for a "service contract" (aka "bribe") to an air conditioner installer/repair company who in turn guarantees same day "emergency" service (and checks my unit twice a year which as far as I'm concerned is a sham but what the heck, it's part of the deal).

Also, as you should well know, there's no "winter off" for these people. In Tucson--where I am referring to--most homes built in the last 4 or 5 decades have "heat pumps", also known as "reverse cycle air conditioning". In summer they blow cool air into the house and hot air outside. In winter, they reverse and blow hot air inside, cold air outside. In other words, they are the heat as well as the cooling. And as you should know, it does get cold in the desert in winter, especially at night (temp can cycle 40 degrees--70F highs, 30F lows). Below freezing temps are not rare. So you want the heat to work too and the same guys fix it when it doesn't.

Get a service contract and next time you won't have to wait 3 days.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2018, 8:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousquet View Post
Strange issue, though... Sweating is no problem when you take your daily shower, just as any civilized individual does. I'm sure you do.
You may take 2 showers a day for heat waves by the way, that's no problem either.

If you're worried about what people may think about your sweat, I hear most women actually find fresh male sweat to be sexy, like a turn-on.
Not old stinky sweat! huh. You must take that daily shower.
But your fresh body fluids turn them on somehow.
I don't have a vagina and I don't like males at all, so I can't explain how or why, but it's a fact.

More seriously, sweating is just a natural body function that allows you to cool down when it's hot.
There's nothing much wrong or shameful about it.

In fact, not sweating when it's hot would rather be a health problem, I guess.
You "frenchies" bathe?

I kid!

Old Posted Jul 31, 2018, 9:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdreamz View Post
You "frenchies" bathe?
We take showers. Don't like to bathe in our dirt.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2018, 9:45 PM
恭喜发财!

I would never be able to survive a Shanghai summer without AC.

But I don't set my AC units too low - 24C is plenty cool enough when it's 35C+ outside.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2018, 1:16 PM
The New Republic

A/C is a necessity in Ontario/Quebec. I turn it on in June and it stays on about 80% of the days till September. It would be unbearable without it; especially at night. Optimally I'd have a de-humidifier/humidifier as well. The former for summer, the later for winter. Interestingly, Ontario uses more electricity in summer than winter and the culprit is A/C.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2018, 1:37 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

i run the AC at 72-73 F (22 C), or i shut it off completely. the main issue is humidity in missouri, during the summer at least. if i try to run it warmer than this, it's much slower to extract the water from the air and i don't have a dehumidifier, although the system is brand new and highly efficient, and is capable of dewatering considerable amounts of moisture from the air...i can hear the water absolutely pouring out of the system into the drain when operating. once september rolls around i can raise it and often shut it off, however, as humidity goes down considerably even though its can still be quite warm into october. as i live in a somewhat older house, mold is a concern above certain percentages of humidity so i don't like to risk it.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2018, 2:00 PM
BANNED

Checked the thermometer, it is 80.8 degrees inside. And about 72 outside -- @7am.
E] checked the local reporting station and -- 94% humidity, dew point 67, temperature 69

My parents would set the AC at 82. Ceiling fans can have a 5-10 degree cooling effect.

Last edited by Sun Belt; Aug 1, 2018 at 2:12 PM.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2018, 5:55 PM

^ Jesus. An AC set to 82 isn’t air conditioning at all. If I came to someone’s house and it was 82 degrees inside, with no breeze, I would turn around and leave.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2018, 6:13 PM

If humidity is an issue, people really should get a dehumidifier so the A/C runs more efficiently and the A/C temperature doesn't need to be set so low. Less wear on the A/C, less electricity consumption, increased comfort (lower humidex), and more water for the garden.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2018, 6:16 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Most AC's do dehumidify the air.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2018, 6:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doady View Post
If humidity is an issue, people really should get a dehumidifier so the A/C runs more efficiently and the A/C temperature doesn't need to be set so low. Less wear on the A/C, less electricity consumption, increased comfort (lower humidex), and more water for the garden.
This is the second time you've posted this and you should study how modern refrigerated air condtioining works as well as basic meteorology. Warm air holds more moisture than cold air. As air conditioning forces the warm air through very cold coils, much of the moisture condenses out and drips out of the unit (look for a wet spot under your parked car when you've been running the A/C or for the watter dripping from a windown unit). Directly after passing through the coil, the air is very cold but when blown into the room it warms up and this means its ability to hold moisture, but not the moisture it actually holds, drops. Thus the relative (percentage) humidity drops too.

In this way, air conditioning is a very efficient dehumidifier and works as well as any other form of dehumidification. You don't need any additional equipment.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions