HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Feb 16, 2015, 6:46 PM

CHAMPAIGN-URBANA | General Developments

Residential Under Construction:

- 204 S Fifth St. (Champaign)

(greenstrealty.com)

- 205-211 E University Ave. (Champaign)

(greenstrealty.com)

- 303 Fifth (303 S Fifth St., Champaign)

(mhmproperties.com)

- 314 E White St. (Champaign)

(greenstrealty.com)

- Campus Center (524 E Green St., Champaign)

(jsmliving.com)

- Campus Circle (1008 W University Ave., Urbana)

(facebook.com | Campus Circle)

- Here Champaign (308 E Green St., Champaign)

(herechampaign.com)

- Terraces On Second (507 S. Second St.), Champaign

(terracesonsecond.com)

- West Quad (30 E John St., Champaign)

(westquad.com)

Residential Planned:

- 505 S First St. (Champaign)

(greenstrealty.com)

- Healey Place (601 S First St., Champaign)

(greenstrealty.com)

- The Marquette (203 S Fifth St., Champaign)

(greenstrealty.com)

Residential Completed:

- Skyline Tower (519 E Green St., Champaign)

(broeren-russo.com)

Last edited by Benck; Feb 16, 2015 at 7:18 PM. Reason: Added renderings

Old Posted Feb 16, 2015, 10:01 PM

There's a webcam for HERE Champaign (308 E. Green) here.

Username: 308@illinois.com
Password: green

Old Posted Feb 16, 2015, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by italy5150 View Post
There's a webcam for HERE Champaign (308 E. Green) here.

Username: 308@illinois.com
Password: green
Hey thanks for the link. That's a cool timelapse. I'll be posting some photos I've taken soon too

Old Posted Feb 17, 2015, 12:42 AM

Thanks for starting this thread Benck, always good to keep tabs on the Alma Matter.
And if someone could post pictures of the new electrical engineering building on the north quad, that'd be great.

Any new university buildings in the works, or just housing?

Old Posted Feb 17, 2015, 12:49 AM

And is Legends getting wiped out by Campus Center?

Old Posted Feb 17, 2015, 12:53 AM
Vote for me for Mayor!

Nice the campus seems to transform every 5 years haven't been back since graduating in 2011 I'm sure a lot has changed.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2015, 1:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron38 View Post
Thanks for starting this thread Benck, always good to keep tabs on the Alma Matter.
And if someone could post pictures of the new electrical engineering building on the north quad, that'd be great.

Any new university buildings in the works, or just housing?
I can post some ECE Building photos too. There are tons of ECE construction photos here: http://buildingcampaign.ece.illinois...oto-galleries/

Right now the Krannert Performing Arts Center is being expanded and the Natural History Building is being renovated even further. Assembly Hall is also being expanded and renovated. As for new buildings, there's the new residence hall on the six pack. They have about 3 to 4 floors built. There's a veterans housing building being built too.

Quote:
And is Legends getting wiped out by Campus Center?
And Legends is still there. It's really squeezed though. Campus Center takes up the entire Lot J parking lot from Green to Healey and over to Sixth (besides the few restaurants).

Last edited by Benck; Feb 17, 2015 at 2:09 AM. Reason: More info

Old Posted Feb 17, 2015, 9:10 PM

Re: Here Champaign - Wow, so Campus Liquor and the IHOP are both gone?

What about across the street, at the SW corner of Fourth and Green? Anything in the works? There's an ugly bare podium wall that needs covering up.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2015, 9:27 PM

Quote:
Re: Here Champaign - Wow, so Campus Liquor and the IHOP are both gone?

What about across the street, at the SW corner of Fourth and Green? Anything in the works? There's an ugly bare podium wall that needs covering up.
Both Campus Liquor and IHOP were demolished for HERE. IHOP didn't relocate and as far as I know, neither did the liquor store.

That empty corner was supposed be a second building to accompany 309 but the project was cancelled and nothing was ever built. Here's a rendering of what was proposed a few years ago:

With more information still on the McShane Construction website: http://www.mcshane-construction.com/...d.aspx?id=2889

Old Posted Feb 22, 2015, 3:34 PM

308 Green from the corner of 4th and Green, this morning (taken by me)

Old Posted Aug 18, 2015, 5:46 PM

Bump.

If any returning students could take some pictures, it'd be great to see the progress from over the summer for us alumni who don't live there anymore. Thanks!

Old Posted Nov 6, 2015, 3:44 PM

Huge news for Champaign. Redevelopment of this parking lot would do wonders for downtown.

http://smilepolitely.com/culture/cit..._for_downtown/

Old Posted Nov 9, 2015, 5:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by italy5150 View Post
Huge news for Champaign. Redevelopment of this parking lot would do wonders for downtown.

http://smilepolitely.com/culture/cit..._for_downtown/
Wow, that's a big project! Great find! I hope it gets approved.

//

Also, sorry guys about not posting photos. I still need to transfer them to my computer. I think I'll make a Flickr account for construction photos soon

Old Posted Jan 5, 2017, 10:01 PM

Come on people, everyone's got a camera phone now. One of my co-workers is saying Green street is unrecognizable from even 2 years ago.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2017, 11:48 PM
Vote for me for Mayor!

Quote:
Come on people, everyone's got a camera phone now. One of my co-workers is saying Green street is unrecognizable from even 2 years ago.
I visited almost year ago and its has some nice density and there were cranes everywhere. The buildings are ugly as sin though......

Old Posted Jan 7, 2017, 5:00 AM

Thanks! Unfortunately I agree. The texture on the second building isn't that bad, but it's an infill type building, not a showpiece. It needs a next door neighbor.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2017, 8:40 PM
THAT Guy

I mean, this is (private) student housing we are talking about. I haven't seen many new showpiece buildings in Champaign, whether 5 stories or 20 stories. They are all, however, adding tons of density which is great.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2017, 3:45 AM

There's some relatively new street view imagery (September 2016) for a bunch of the new University Ave Developments. Love the horizontal density on Latitude.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 5:57 AM
THAT Guy

John and 4th

Quote:
THE OPUS GROUP ANNOUNCES START OF CONSTRUCTION FOR UNIVERSITY OF ILLINOIS STUDENT HOUSING PROJECT

The Opus Group (Opus) in partnership with The Carlyle Group announced today the start of construction on a new 14-story student living community on the edge of the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign campus. The building will include 218 units ranging from junior studios, which feature full size kitchens and a custom built-in murphy bed / sofa combination, to four bedroom units with private bathrooms for each bedroom, for a total of 548 bedrooms.

"We are excited to bring this next-level living experience to students at the University of Illinois," said Ben Angelo, senior director, real estate development, Opus Development Company, L.L.C. "This project allows us to build on our dedicated student housing expertise and fulfill the evolved demand for upscale student living in a great community."

Located on the northwest corner of John and 4th streets, the development will be built on a subdivided lot where the Alpha Delta Phi fraternity house is located and the fraternity will be re-built on a retained portion of the lot at a later date. All units will feature full size stainless steel appliances and quartz countertops in the kitchens, simulated wood flooring in the common spaces, carpeted bedrooms and in-unit washers and dryers. High-end finishing touches also include tile shower surrounds, contemporary fixtures in the bathrooms and showerheads enabled with Bluetooth speakers. Ninety-five percent of units will have a private bathroom for each bedroom.

In addition to the luxurious individual living spaces, the building's shared amenities will include an indoor basketball court, fitness center and spa on the second floor. A coffee bar, group study rooms and lounges will provide additional spaces for students to gather on the third floor. The fourth floor will feature a club room with pool tables, ping pong tables and large screen TVs leading to an outdoor amenity space with a pool, fire pits and grilling stations.

With security as a top priority in student living spaces, each bedroom will have solid doors and individual locks for each resident to secure belongings in their space. The building will also be fully access-controlled with key fob entry points, security cameras throughout and onsite property management.

Construction began in December 2017 and will be complete prior to the 2019 fall academic semester. This project is a joint venture partnership between Opus and The Carlyle Group. Opus Development Company, L.L.C. is the developer, Opus Design Build, L.L.C. is the design builder and Opus AE Group, L.L.C. is the architect and structural engineer of record. Tempe, Arizona-based Creative License International is the interior designer for the project. Cardinal Group will lease and manage the property.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2018, 1:53 AM
THAT Guy

The Hub on Campus - 322 units
Replaces several buildings on Green and Sixth including HomeTown Pantry and Firehaus. However if it really does have a Target, I'm sure that would be super helpful for students.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development