HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 3, 2018, 2:31 PM

I think we have quite recently been through all this. They are going to be rebuilding the rail line. They are never going to build a road to Churchill. The rail line is both so they can ship through the port and it services tourism, which is a big thing for Churchill. All that said, why doesn't someone start up a Churchill thread as this thread has no more to do with Churchill than the the Inuit Centre does.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2018, 12:17 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
This is exactly what I was going to say. It will be important for us to have a military base and presence up there, but I do not think trying to increase tourism and shipping through the arctic waters is something we should be doing at all.

We need to make sure the people living there can survive, and some tourism is fine, but making it the Bermuda of the north would be catastrophic for the area. Some of the most famous tourist spots in the world are curbin or outright banning tourism due to the havoc it wreaks on nature. Even Thailand is taking action.
We had a military base up there. The feds closed it down. That’s why you look on google earth and all the base roads and runway etc are still visiable. The town was almost 3 times its current size then.
I think it’s a great place to train recruits and have a base for northern sovereignty and a good place for northern rescues which will come more common as the sea warms up.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2018, 11:26 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

There is presently a base under construction in the arctic to service the new AOPVs.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2018, 9:11 PM

(@kalabawtravels) on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/p/BnUVvTmh...kalabawtravels
View of Colony Square, Downtown Commons, Winnipeg Art Gallery and a little bit of The Bay. As you can see, Winnipeg loves beige! Hahaha! Under construction is the Inuit Art Centre of the WAG. Excited to see how it will turn out.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2018, 1:57 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

thats lime stone for yea

Old Posted Sep 5, 2018, 2:22 PM
What could go wrong?

That picture is aligned just right so the 4 storey Bay parkade looks like a surface parking lot....wow, I even hate the parkade from above.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Sep 5, 2018, 2:36 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
That picture is aligned just right so the 4 storey Bay parkade looks like a surface parking lot....wow, I even hate the parkade from above.
I honestly like it less as a parkade. At least a surface lot is easy to develop. Parkades need to be demoed and that would add significantly to the cost of redevelopment.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2018, 4:48 PM

Thanks for putting my pic here @wpg_guy! =)

For the parkade, I was actually thinking, since there's so many of them here, why can't they make it mixed use? Like first two floors could be retail / business. This is an example from Manila.

I think it was also a car park before, but I'm not so sure since it's been a while since I have been there. I thought they did an amazing job by renovating it and making it more modern and glassy. At night, the glass is illuminated and changes colours.

Some people might oppose this kind of style and would think it would be too gaudy or does not fit into the architecture of Hudson's Bay. Well, it doesn't have to be like this. I just think adding something at the street level / facade of our existing parkades would help liven our downtown.

Apologies for the OT

Old Posted Sep 5, 2018, 5:20 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalabaw View Post

Some people might oppose this kind of style and would think it would be too gaudy or does not fit into the architecture of Hudson's Bay.
I don't think anything fits worse with the Architecture of The Bay than the most hideous of all parkades. I really hate that structure....The Bay parkade, in-case it wasn't clear.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Sep 5, 2018, 5:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
I don't think anything fits worse with the Architecture of The Bay than the most hideous of all parkades. I really hate that structure....The Bay parkade, in-case it wasn't clear.
Hahaha! You have a point, but you know how some people are.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2018, 6:08 PM

It does serve a purpose - better than a surface lot.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2018, 6:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote View Post
We had a military base up there. The feds closed it down. That’s why you look on google earth and all the base roads and runway etc are still visiable. The town was almost 3 times its current size then.
I think it’s a great place to train recruits and have a base for northern sovereignty and a good place for northern rescues which will come more common as the sea warms up.
That was the U.S. Airforce I believe.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2018, 8:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacheguy View Post

Old Posted Sep 5, 2018, 8:59 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Yes, my parents lived on the base in one of those long buildings. It was run by the US Air Force although there were lots of Canadian military there too.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2018, 9:03 PM

We constantly hear about what a challenge northern infrastructure is, etc., but the US Air Force built a city up there practically overnight along with two huge airstrips, one of which remains in use today as part of Churchill's airport. It was an impressive feat.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2018, 10:06 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Wasn't it a rocket test range and norad base?

Old Posted Sep 5, 2018, 11:25 PM

I believe so.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2018, 2:59 PM

Old Posted Sep 8, 2018, 10:06 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
my mother was born their in 63

Old Posted Sep 8, 2018, 10:07 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
We constantly hear about what a challenge northern infrastructure is, etc., but the US Air Force built a city up there practically overnight along with two huge airstrips, one of which remains in use today as part of Churchill's airport. It was an impressive feat.
its the muskeg thats the issue but if u do proper care and maintinacne its not an issue

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan