HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Mar 6, 2016, 3:28 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Here's a 20 gigapixel Panorama of NYC. 20 gigapixels is massive, meaning you can zoom your heart away at the detail. Looks like it was taken early fall of 2015.

New York Skyline 360 Panorama 20 Gigapixels: http://360gigapixels.com/nyc-skyline-photo-panorama/

Old Posted Mar 7, 2016, 7:13 PM

So everyone knows I'm not a fan of New York City's zoning regime. I strongly believe it's encouraging the redevelopment of architectural gems. I'm not sure why landmarks vigorously defends some and is asleep at the wheel for others. Additionally, the price per sqft increases the higher you go in the tower and current zoning encourages developers to exploit exemptions for mechanical floors so the heights of the buildings can be as tall as possible. I love tall buildings, but I rather more usable space rather than just to be tall for tall's sake with the excessive use of mechanical floors. Lastly, the use of plazas can be a good thing but too can be abused. The plaza around One Penn is a buzzkill to NYC's energy and ruined the streetscape.

I wish the zoning code could be amended to bring back elements from the 1916 zoning resolution which gave us the old New York style many of us find attractive. No hard heights or density limits as long there is appropriate setbacks based on a angular plane from the street. Create a market place for air rights that strongly encourages older buildings and directs developments to one-story and other underutilized lots. The current system is just too cumbersome.

I know I'm nuts, but just had to say it.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2016, 5:10 AM

You're not nuts but unfortunately what you're calling for goes against the NIMBYs, which as you know, has a lot of input into all matters related to zoning and thus development.

They show up to public meetings, they hold protests, they send out flyers, they write letters/call/complain to their representatives, the mayor, the planning commission, landmarks, etc. Their opinion is then taken as that of the overall public's because, well, they are just more vocal than everyone else even though we know they are in the minority. Sadly, most other people don't care about zoning and/or development.

Their desires can be generally be summed up as reduce density and height. Open space is one way to achieve both of those things and has become a catch phrase that they have made very popular among pols and planners. Public plazas, green space, light and air are all ways to achieve that.

Don't even get me started on the widespread "community space."

Old Posted Mar 8, 2016, 1:53 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
Here's a 20 gigapixel Panorama of NYC. 20 gigapixels is massive, meaning you can zoom your heart away at the detail. Looks like it was taken early fall of 2015.

New York Skyline 360 Panorama 20 Gigapixels: http://360gigapixels.com/nyc-skyline-photo-panorama/
Amazing eye candy.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2016, 6:25 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Found this interesting. The boom is stronger then ever!
===============================

New construction hits eye-popping $40.9B in 2015

Figure represents 53% increase over 2014

Quote:
New construction in New York City reached a staggering $40.9 billion in 2015, thanks in part to massive projects such as Hudson Yards, according to a new report by the New York Building Congress.

The value of all projects initiated citywide in 2015 was $40.9 billion, a 53 percent jump from 2014, according to the report. Collectively, these projects will take up 83 million square feet of new and existing floor space in the city, most of which — 58 million square feet — will be residential. Though most of the projects were residential, the top three by value were major office developments in Midtown West: Related Companies’ 30 Hudson Yards and 55 Hudson Yards, as well as Brookfield Property Partners’ 1 Manhattan West. The report included new ground-up construction and renovations to existing buildings.

New York Building Congress President Richard Anderson struck a cautionary note about the building boom, saying that the uncertainty of property tax abatements and the slowdown of the ultra-luxury residential market could stall further growth.

“Perhaps never before in New York City has so much new housing been in the pipeline at one time,” Anderson said in a statement. “The present question is how long we can sustain this sort of pace, especially in the absence of the 421a subsidy program and with increasing reports of a softening market.”

Residential construction starts increased 62 percent from 2014, reaching $19.5 billion, according to the report. Non-residential construction hit $18 billion, a 65 percent year-over-year increase. For the second year in a row, construction starts in the public works sector dropped. Infrastructure projects encompassing bridges, roads and sewer systems hit $3.4 billion in 2015, decreasing from $3.8 billion in 2014, according to the report.

=============================
TDR

Old Posted Mar 10, 2016, 1:25 PM

^Very interesting... will it slow or just change the boom?

Old Posted Mar 11, 2016, 11:58 AM
don't *meddle*...

http://propertymg.com/portfolio/111-west-57th-street/

111W57th rendering, incl. 520 Park Ave

Old Posted Mar 13, 2016, 3:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
Found this interesting. The boom is stronger then ever!
===============================

New construction hits eye-popping $40.9B in 2015

Figure represents 53% increase over 2014

=============================
TDR
More!! I want to see $60 billion in construction starts for 2016!

Old Posted Mar 13, 2016, 3:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunser View Post
http://propertymg.com/portfolio/111-west-57th-street/

111W57th rendering, incl. 520 Park Ave

WOW!

Old Posted Mar 13, 2016, 8:35 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

I spotted this on Aljazeera today, and I thought it was pretty cool. At first I thought it was a NYC promotion, but then I was like wtf.

Video Link

Its a cracked out NYC mixed in with Chicago all in one. Possibly the aerial in the first couple of seconds is what NYC will look like once areas like LIC, JC, DoBro, and so on become more like Manhattan. Even a suspension bridge to Jersey City. If you pause exactly at the 0:08 mark, you can see 56 Leonard.

Suspension bridge is at the 0:06 mark, but you must be quick get the timing right.

At the 0:10 mark, is that a 99 Church version thats a super tall?

Its clear to me that Gotham City is what would happen if Chicago and NYC where all teleported next to each other and the resulting City is Gotham.

Heres another one.

Notice the giant ass 3000 foot supertall kinda where Nordstrom will rise.

Video Link

Old Posted Mar 14, 2016, 3:20 PM
Ex Houstonian

^
Ok, those videos just peaked my interest in the Batman Superman movie, thought it looked really stupid before seeing that but hell, I want to just see the movie to see a combined NYC and Chicago skyline. Love how that one shot shows the Chicago Board of Trade Building just sitting in the middle of basically Mid-town Manhattan. Also, I didnt realize that Gotham and Metropolis were in the same comic book universe.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2016, 6:32 PM

New York and Chicago were already combined to make Gotham in the Dark Knight films.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2016, 8:42 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

I remember seeing the film crew at the Military park station in downtown Newark. That's where the filmed the subway scene. Good old Newark.

People like me who watched the Dark Night where keen to note the different cities and it bothered me. One scene was in Downtown LA, and I was like this is BS!

They must of had someone from SSP on the staff to help with the city scene.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2016, 8:50 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Anyways, back to the real NYC.

The coming changes to Long Island Cities skyline (gif).

I might note that this isn't everything. A crapload of smaller structures in the range of 12-20 floors are planned, so along with the skyscrapers, some nice infill of smaller high rises.

Credit: http://www.6sqft.com/queens-new-skyl...g-island-city/

Old Posted Mar 16, 2016, 9:22 AM
World Traveler

^ That's incredible. I don't have much reason to go to NYC anymore (used to have family there), but I hope I have a reason to go again sometime. It'd be great to see a lot of this in person.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2016, 12:50 PM
don't *meddle*...

Re: 125 Greenwich: highest occupied floor is at 990'. So with some mechanicals above + a nice crown this could yield a 1,100 footer.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2016, 1:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunser View Post
Re: 125 Greenwich: highest occupied floor is at 990'. So with some mechanicals above + a nice crown this could yield a 1,100 footer.

That sucks. I wanted the 1,356 ft. version.

Oh, well. 1,100 ft. isn't bad, and will still make a major impact on the skyline.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2016, 1:26 PM
don't *meddle*...

^ Possible rendering re: 125 G

Quote:
Originally Posted by timpdx View Post

Old Posted Mar 17, 2016, 6:50 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Extra rendering showing the facade/close up.

Curvy!

Old Posted Mar 17, 2016, 9:18 PM
don't *meddle*...

Re: 80 South Street:

Howard Hughes Corp. finalizes $390M development site sale to Chinese firm
The transaction depended on the transfer of 303,113 square feet in air rights

March 17, 2016 04:35PM

http://therealdeal.com/2016/03/17/ho...-chinese-firm/

Quote:
After securing hundreds of thousands of additional development rights, the Howard Hughes Corp. has finalized its sale of 80 South Street to China Oceanwide Holdings.

The deal, initially announced in August, was contingent on Howard Hughes transferring an additional 303,113 square feet in air rights — after already securing 104,167 square feet — to the site, according to the sale agreement. The Chinese firm paid $390 million for the site, according to a statement released by Howard Hughes on Thursday. The City Planning Commission approved the air rights transfer in February, bringing the site’s development potential to 817,784 square feet and clearing the way for the two parties to finalize the sale.

The building is expected to be 1,436 feet and 113 stories, according to documents filed with the planning commission. The building would contain 441,077 square feet of residential space and 376,707 square feet for hotel, officce or retail use.

Howard Hughes, which is redeveloping the South Street Seaport, bought the property in 2014 for $100 million and a parcel at 173 Front Street for $24 million in 2015. — Kathryn Brenzel

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture