HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jun 3, 2009, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Of Trees View Post
Not with the Royal, no--it was just the Royal and the Hitchcock at one point.

I'm not sure if there were buildings of significance on the rest of the block, though--I assume the southern half bordering Main Street had something on it, but I don't ever recall seeing anything there.

Here's one of my favorite old Main Street photos. Just look at all the beautiful buildings on the left that became victims of the Mall Wars...
Cool old picture of a two way Main Street!

Old Posted Jun 3, 2009, 10:18 PM
Always running Late

Quote:
Well, are you and everyone else here familiar about the "Mall Wars" that occurred in the Treasure Valley in the 70s and early 80s? If not, I can definitely tell the story.
I'm well aware, and the fact that it never actually happened is a blessing...
imagine if our city center looked like and followed the same cultural patterns as Towne Square mall???

Large Scale Shopping centers are great for adding to the cohesiveness of the city center, but until it has critical mass of urban residents to support it... it's not going to help the urbanity of your city...which is why it is better to have smaller shopping district like bodo that can be expanded upon as the city center resident population increases to support it...

Old Posted Jun 3, 2009, 10:21 PM
Let's Go Brandon!

Quote:
My oh my how times have changed. Just think what it would be like if those buildings on the left were still standing. We wouldn't have the US Bank Tower, the Wells Fargo Building, or One Capital Center.

Also, wouldn't it be nice if the Eastman Building were still standing? We never would have had the whole Boise Tower/Place debacle. Nor would we have a whole in the ground either!

Old Posted Jun 3, 2009, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boiseguy View Post
I'm well aware, and the fact that it never actually happened is a blessing...
imagine if our city center looked like and followed the same cultural patterns as Towne Square mall???

Large Scale Shopping centers are great for adding to the cohesiveness of the city center, but until it has critical mass of urban residents to support it... it's not going to help the urbanity of your city...which is why it is better to have smaller shopping district like bodo that can be expanded upon as the city center resident population increases to support it...
Completely agree. Though I must say, when the time is right, it would be cool to see something like the Pioneer mall in downtown Portland over here someday. That is an urban mall done right.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2009, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOI-IDA View Post
My oh my how times have changed. Just think what it would be like if those buildings on the left were still standing. We wouldn't have the US Bank Tower, the Wells Fargo Building, or One Capital Center.
Hopefully we would have had those buildings elsewhere...say, surrounding the Boise Cascade building.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOI-IDA View Post
Also, wouldn't it be nice if the Eastman Building were still standing? We never would have had the whole Boise Tower/Place debacle. Nor would we have a whole in the ground either!
Here's what truly pisses me off about the Eastman Building:

http://www.boiseweekly.com/gyrobase/...d=oid%3A155895

Quote:
By 1987, the downtown mall dream had been replaced by Boise Towne Square fever, and talks finally resumed of renovating the Eastman, which was by then a frequent haunt of squatters and vandals. On January 22 of that year, local developer Larry Leasure announced plans to incorporate the building, as well as the neighboring Simplot Building, into a pedestrian-oriented retail and arts complex. Two days later, those plans became moot when the Eastman caught fire and was completely destroyed within a matter of hours. Police cited arson as the cause of the blaze, and a pair of 19-year-olds who were seen at the scene were questioned and later released.
I was just looking through some family pictures and found a couple of the Eastman going down in flames. I should share them here someday if I can get to a scanner.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2009, 12:47 AM
Always running Late

the eastman building looks like it was quite the gem, could have easily been a centerpiece for an urban developement similar to bodo... atleast on that block...

Old Posted Jun 4, 2009, 1:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottonwood View Post
Good explanation. It is also evident that simply having a light rail in a particular downtown does not necessarily add to vibrancy either, sure it looks and seems more "big city like" but if the downtown is still a sleeper then nothing has been accomplished to create vibrancy but to offer a quicker way to shuss people out of the city center into suburbia. I think Boise will only continue to add to the vibrancy we have in downtown because new projects such as BoDo and the Simplot project even though it is huge are more to a human scale and not so huge that they take away from other areas of downtown. Instead BoDo and what this project will do is fill up parking lots with buildings and pedestrians.
Looks like no one likes my tall buildings.. However, if a taller building went up (like the Boise Place) to house people instead of malls, that would certainly bring more people downtown. Just a thought...

Now this is a skyline..

Old Posted Jun 4, 2009, 5:22 AM

Needs more Aspen. ....

Old Posted Jun 5, 2009, 2:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visualize View Post
Needs more Aspen. ....
Tuff crowd here...

Hey the backside of the Aspen isn't so great anyways..

Old Posted Jun 5, 2009, 2:56 AM
Let's Go Brandon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaKid View Post
Now this is a skyline..

Sadly...that is one view we will likely never see.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2009, 8:34 AM
Dare Mighty Things

Just out of curiousity, were there any renderings or drawings of the proposed 70's-80's mall or any details on what it'd look like architecturally?

Just askin'

Old Posted Jun 6, 2009, 7:42 PM

Quote:
Not with the Royal, no--it was just the Royal and the Hitchcock at one point.

I'm not sure if there were buildings of significance on the rest of the block, though--I assume the southern half bordering Main Street had something on it, but I don't ever recall seeing anything there.

Here's one of my favorite old Main Street photos. Just look at all the beautiful buildings on the left that became victims of the Mall Wars...
That is kick ass! I love old photos of Boise. My, have things changed.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2009, 11:37 PM
Earthling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boiseguy View Post
... Large Scale Shopping centers are great for adding to the cohesiveness of the city center, but until it has critical mass of urban residents to support it... it's not going to help the urbanity of your city...which is why it is better to have smaller shopping district like bodo that can be expanded upon as the city center resident population increases to support it...
I'm inclined to agree...but I wouldn't discount the drawing of suburbanites into the DT. I'm not saying it should be considered a main reason to build a DT mall, but out-of-towners are drawn in to the mall and greater downtown San Francisco, in the case of:
Westfield San Francisco Centre (wikipedia)
Quote:
It is anchored by Nordstrom and Bloomingdale's, and includes a Century Theatres multiplex, a Bristol Farms gourmet grocery store and a branch of San Francisco State University. It connects directly to the Powell Street transit station via an underground entrance.
I understand a 9 story, urban mall, may be a bit much for a city the size of Boise--and San Francisco certainly has the nearby housing density that you speak of. It's just an example of a well done downtown mall that only takes up one block.

http://images.yelp.com/bphoto/e0TyzRoKbcpEmN-p9U43uA/l

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/95/25...ee088eca1f.jpg

Old Posted Jun 8, 2009, 12:08 AM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

The large historic 3 level warehouse at 8th Street Marketplace is kind of like a mini downtown mall in some respects. All of the retail and office spaces in the building have been renovated and if they eventually fill up with more tenants to add on to the existing tenant base then the building could be somewhat similar and be a small and tiny version of the Pioneer in Portland.

I searched online for a site for the building and it looks like the new official name is 8th Street Marketplace at BoDo.
http://www.8thstreetmarketplace.com/
Have you also learned that secret from the river; that there is no such thing as time? That the river is everywhere at the same time, at the source and at the mouth, at the waterfall, at the ferry, at the current, in the ocean and in the mountains.-Hermann Hesse

Old Posted Jun 8, 2009, 2:22 AM

Does BoDo still not have a website? Sort of annoying...lol.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2009, 4:45 AM
Earthling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawtooth View Post
The large historic 3 level warehouse at 8th Street Marketplace is kind of like a mini downtown mall in some respects. All of the retail and office spaces in the building have been renovated and if they eventually fill up with more tenants to add on to the existing tenant base then the building could be somewhat similar and be a small and tiny version of the Pioneer in Portland.

I searched online for a site for the building and it looks like the new official name is 8th Street Marketplace at BoDo.
http://www.8thstreetmarketplace.com/

That sounds like an interesting place, with retail, live music, eateries, artist in residence program...
Here's a pic I found of it: http://pics4.city-data.com/cpicc/cfiles30467.jpg

Old Posted Jun 8, 2009, 6:45 PM

That building is part of the 8th Street Marketplace complex, containing restaurants and retail, but the 8th Street Marketplace building (housing the pseudo-mall) is actually the one on the far left of that photo. It has a lot of potential.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2009, 8:24 PM
Earthling

^
Ah, thank-you!
I suppose it won't be that much longer before I learn all the right names for Boise buildings!

Old Posted Jun 8, 2009, 9:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boysee Boi View Post
That building is part of the 8th Street Marketplace complex, containing restaurants and retail, but the 8th Street Marketplace building (housing the pseudo-mall) is actually the one on the far left of that photo. It has a lot of potential.

The official name of that building is the Mercantile Building. There is a great new art gallery/coffee shop inside on the main level.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2009, 4:45 AM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

Just some pictures I took from the parking lot where Jack's Place is going to be built on. There is some decent foilage going on in that lot.

Have you also learned that secret from the river; that there is no such thing as time? That the river is everywhere at the same time, at the source and at the mouth, at the waterfall, at the ferry, at the current, in the ocean and in the mountains.-Hermann Hesse

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West