HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Apr 27, 2012, 4:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anqrew View Post
i wish they'd relocate Ronstadt and build some mixed use development there instead.
I actually wish they would keep it there, and build some mixed use development there too. I think a good idea would be to build a mid-rise building there with the bottom floor being used for Sun-Tran busses (and the streetcar - kind of a transfer station where you can get off one and onto the other) as well as possibly the new Greyhound station. A couple floors could be used to put the RTA operations, Sun-Tran, Tucson's DOT, Pima County's DOT - make it like the center for transportation in the city. There could be shops and a restaurant(s) - those would go well in a transit station, especially if Greyhound were to use it, and some of the other floors could be used for other offices (private, businesses) and possibly even some residential apartments on some of the higher floors (though that may be a stretch - who really wants to live right above a bus-station?). Just a thought.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2012, 4:45 AM
Tucsonan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick S View Post
I actually wish they would keep it there, and build some mixed use development there too. I think a good idea would be to build a mid-rise building there with the bottom floor being used for Sun-Tran busses (and the streetcar - kind of a transfer station where you can get off one and onto the other) as well as possibly the new Greyhound station. A couple floors could be used to put the RTA operations, Sun-Tran, Tucson's DOT, Pima County's DOT - make it like the center for transportation in the city. There could be shops and a restaurant(s) - those would go well in a transit station, especially if Greyhound were to use it, and some of the other floors could be used for other offices (private, businesses) and possibly even some residential apartments on some of the higher floors (though that may be a stretch - who really wants to live right above a bus-station?). Just a thought.
hey thats actually a pretty good idea, sounds better! just anything, that is such a prime spot for something cool. not just a giant bus stop.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2012, 4:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anqrew View Post
hey thats actually a pretty good idea, sounds better! just anything, that is such a prime spot for something cool. not just a giant bus stop.
Thanks. I see that spot as being in the center of downtown, so it is a prime spot for a transportation hub, but, it could be so much more. I like the idea of building mixed-use development there too (again, because of its central location and the fact that there isn't much space left downtown to build on), and I just think it could be the best of both worlds. I think by having the Greyhound station there too, it could make it a more 'multi-modal' transportation center (or at least make connectivity better).

Last edited by Patrick S; Apr 27, 2012 at 4:50 AM. Reason: misspelling

Old Posted Apr 27, 2012, 6:15 AM

Quote:
Recent redevelopment options considered for the Ronstadt Transit Center:

1. Leaving the RTC in place, but developing the frontage along Congress with a 2-3 story mixed-use building (although this would require reconfiguring the circulation route since most of the buses enter from Congress St.).

2. Moving the RTC next to a proposed city intermodal transportation building on the empty lot north of the Historic Train Depot. (The Greyhound Bus station was also to be included in this transportation hub, although Peach Properties' Greenline on Congress proposal next to I-10 will incorporate the Greyhound station as part of a multi-modal transportation center for the bus, streetcar, bicycles, and pedestrians.)

3. Keeping the RTC downtown, but moving it to the periphery so as not to occupy parcels zoned for greater density in the downtown core. (The city property at Franklin and Stone slated for the long-dead El Mirador project comes to mind.)

Whatever the long-term plan ends up being, the upcoming improvements will make the RTC more visually appealing and hopefully discourage the homeless from making it a hangout, something the nearby merchants will certainly appreciate.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2012, 7:35 PM

Thank You Judge!!

Awesome news! The judge threw out the NIMBY's petition and now a 14 story high rise will be built!

Judge: Highrise UA student housing plan can proceed

By Becky Pallack Arizona Daily Star | Posted: Friday, April 27, 2012 12:02 pm

"Plans for a 14-story student apartment complex will move forward, following a new court ruling that defeated a historic neighborhood’s protest.

The city’s ordinance creating special zoning along the streetcar line near the University of Arizona’s Main Gate will stand, Pima County Superior Court Judge Richard Gordon ruled late Thursday.

The historic West University Neighborhood, which is part of the zoning overlay area, had collected thousands of signatures on petitions to fight the city council and take the issue to voters. But Gordon decided the City Clerk’s Office was correct in throwing out the petitions because they were missing certain legal disclaimers.

Among the neighborhood’s complaints are the new rules on building heights. The old rules allowed 4-story buildings. The new rules allow 14-story buildings in certain locations.

The goal is to encourage new, high density projects close to the planned streetcar line that would boost streetcar ridership.

Campus Acquisitions, the Chicago-based developer of the 14-story building, wants to have 586 apartments ready for students in August 2013. The company plans an adjacent 13-story building to open in 2014.

The complex would be southwest of Speedway and Park Avenue, close to existing dorms and parking garages.

Campus Acquisitions’ permits are being reviewed by the city. Final approval is at least a few weeks away.

Plans call for a rooftop pool, outdoor terraces, exercise rooms and study rooms, according to the company’s website."

Read more in tomorrow’s Arizona Daily Star.

Read more: http://azstarnet.com/news/local/govt...#ixzz1tGtbIuln

Last edited by andrewsaturn; Apr 27, 2012 at 9:14 PM.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2012, 7:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewsaturn View Post
Awesome news! The judge threw out the NIMBY's petition and now a 14 story high rise will be built!

By Becky Pallack Arizona Daily Star | Posted: Friday, April 27, 2012 12:02 pm

"Plans for a 14-story student apartment complex will move forward, following a new court ruling that defeated a historic neighborhood’s protest.

The city’s ordinance creating special zoning along the streetcar line near the University of Arizona’s Main Gate will stand, Pima County Superior Court Judge Richard Gordon ruled late Thursday.

The historic West University Neighborhood, which is part of the zoning overlay area, had collected thousands of signatures on petitions to fight the city council and take the issue to voters. But Gordon decided the City Clerk’s Office was correct in throwing out the petitions because they were missing certain legal disclaimers.

Among the neighborhood’s complaints are the new rules on building heights. The old rules allowed 4-story buildings. The new rules allow 14-story buildings in certain locations.

The goal is to encourage new, high density projects close to the planned streetcar line that would boost streetcar ridership.

Campus Acquisitions, the Chicago-based developer of the 14-story building, wants to have 586 apartments ready for students in August 2013. The company plans an adjacent 13-story building to open in 2014.

The complex would be southwest of Speedway and Park Avenue, close to existing dorms and parking garages.

Campus Acquisitions’ permits are being reviewed by the city. Final approval is at least a few weeks away.

Plans call for a rooftop pool, outdoor terraces, exercise rooms and study rooms, according to the company’s website."

Read more in tomorrow’s Arizona Daily Star.

Read more: http://azstarnet.com/news/local/govt...#ixzz1tGtbIuln

http://azstarnet.com/news/local/govt...a4bcf887a.html
Great news.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2012, 7:56 PM

Kozachik: Scale back Broadway widening

By Beck Pallack

Tucson City Councilman Steve Kozachik is holding a community meeting Monday to draw attention to the scope of a $71 million Broadway-widening project.

The project, approved by voters as part of the Regional Transportation Authority plan, would widen Broadway between Euclid and Country Club. Plans call for six lanes, two bus lanes, bike lanes and more.

Construction is planned for 2016, but the planning and design of the project is beginning now, with a 13-member citizen task force.

Kozachik wants the task force to be given authority to scale down the project.

He says the project's scope is based on faulty traffic forecasts from the 1980s, and he says the project would require the demolition of more than 100 homes and businesses.

The task force should be allowed to pick out a project that will meet traffic needs but limit spending to $42 million - the RTA's share of the money, Kozachik said. That will be the topic of Monday's meeting, he said.

"With millions of taxpayer dollars at stake," Kozachik said in an event announcement, the city and the RTA should "engage the people paying the bills and allow for a conversation that is based on the realities of current design, funding and need."

Read more: http://azstarnet.com/news/local/koza...#ixzz1tGvHeaws

I'm not sure if I agree with this project but if they do move forward with this project, they should think about how the streetcar could be incorporated for Broadway. Because if they don't and the project starts, we can kiss our dreams goodbye of Broadway being a streetcar route, otherwise, it would be wasteful money if they think about it after the construction ends...

Old Posted Apr 27, 2012, 8:34 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure if I agree with this project but if they do move forward with this project, they should think about how the streetcar could be incorporated for Broadway. Because if they don't and the project starts, we can kiss our dreams goodbye of Broadway being a streetcar route, otherwise, it would be wasteful money if they think about it after the construction ends...
As noted by former Downtown Tucson Partnership director Glenn Lyons, Broadway is a logical choice for an extension of the streetcar, as it is a major arterial and any redevelopment there would funnel additional tax revenues back to Rio Nuevo, as the TIF district extends down Broadway to Park Place mall. (And Rio Nuevo needs all the funds it can get to do a significant remodel/expansion of the TCC.)

Old Posted Apr 27, 2012, 9:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneui View Post
Recent redevelopment options considered for the Ronstadt Transit Center:

1. Leaving the RTC in place, but developing the frontage along Congress with a 2-3 story mixed-use building (although this would require reconfiguring the circulation route since most of the buses enter from Congress St.).

2. Moving the RTC next to a proposed city intermodal transportation building on the empty lot north of the Historic Train Depot. (The Greyhound Bus station was also to be included in this transportation hub, although Peach Properties' Greenline on Congress proposal next to I-10 will incorporate the Greyhound station as part of a multi-modal transportation center for the bus, streetcar, bicycles, and pedestrians.)

3. Keeping the RTC downtown, but moving it to the periphery so as not to occupy parcels zoned for greater density in the downtown core. (The city property at Franklin and Stone slated for the long-dead El Mirador project comes to mind.)

Whatever the long-term plan ends up being, the upcoming improvements will make the RTC more visually appealing and hopefully discourage the homeless from making it a hangout, something the nearby merchants will certainly appreciate.
I actually thought of #2 (Moving the RTC next to a proposed city intermodal transportation building on the empty lot north of the Historic Train Depot) as an alternative to what I gave as my proposal - with one difference. Instead of having it next to the intermodal transportation building, actually having it in the building, but this would work just as good, if not better.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2012, 9:43 PM

Quote:
By Beck Pallack

Tucson City Councilman Steve Kozachik is holding a community meeting Monday to draw attention to the scope of a $71 million Broadway-widening project.

The project, approved by voters as part of the Regional Transportation Authority plan, would widen Broadway between Euclid and Country Club. Plans call for six lanes, two bus lanes, bike lanes and more.

Construction is planned for 2016, but the planning and design of the project is beginning now, with a 13-member citizen task force.

Kozachik wants the task force to be given authority to scale down the project.

He says the project's scope is based on faulty traffic forecasts from the 1980s, and he says the project would require the demolition of more than 100 homes and businesses.

The task force should be allowed to pick out a project that will meet traffic needs but limit spending to $42 million - the RTA's share of the money, Kozachik said. That will be the topic of Monday's meeting, he said.

"With millions of taxpayer dollars at stake," Kozachik said in an event announcement, the city and the RTA should "engage the people paying the bills and allow for a conversation that is based on the realities of current design, funding and need."

Read more: http://azstarnet.com/news/local/koza...#ixzz1tGvHeaws

I agree that the streetcar should be taken into account. They way I understand the project, the bus lanes will be like the ones out farther east (think Broadway out by Swan, Craycroft, Park Place Mall). But, if I remember correctly, there is a hope to have them used for Bus Rapid Transit (BRT), with the possibility of eventually having the street used for the streetcar.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2012, 9:49 PM
Tucsonan

Quote:

So glad the Nimbys didnt win this time!

Old Posted Apr 27, 2012, 9:53 PM

Quote:
I agree that the streetcar should be taken into account. They way I understand the project, the bus lanes will be like the ones out farther east (think Broadway out by Swan, Craycroft, Park Place Mall). But, if I remember correctly, there is a hope to have them used for Bus Rapid Transit (BRT), with the possibility of eventually having the street used for the streetcar.
Click to this link: The 2040 RTP Plan. Pages 36-37 talk about Broadway being used for BRT & the streetcar. This is from the Pima Association of Governments (PAG), and is not related to the RTA, directly at least. It is more of a 'wish list', not things that will for sure come to be built.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2012, 4:16 PM

The Daily Star has a longer article about 1020 Tyndall today:

http://azstarnet.com/news/local/govt...81a1da1be.html

Here's the important part:

You can see the placement on the property by comparing against Wildcat Laundry Company, which is the blue building in the back left.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2012, 11:48 PM

Got this off of Campus Acquisitions website

Same company that runs "The Vue" in Tempe, and probably the only student housing in the area that has successfully filled its first floor commercial spaces.

Hopefully a good sign.

Old Posted May 1, 2012, 1:33 AM

Between RTC & MLK Apartments.

Corner of 6th Ave. and Congress St.

RTC 6th Ave. & Pennington St.

***Glad to read about the judge's resolution!

Old Posted May 2, 2012, 5:50 AM

I was going to class on campus (at the U of A) today, and if I'm not mistaken I saw a big pile of street-car rails lying on 2nd Street right outside of Hillenbrand Stadium.

Old Posted May 2, 2012, 4:22 PM

Hello Tucson! I've been a fan of this thread for over a year...I finally got my lazy behind to log-in and join in the discussions.

Anyhow, I drove by the District the other day, and despite some criticism by the media and by some folks in the ADS on the aesthetics of the building (and this was when the structure was being framed), I actually love it. It turned out great and its a good change. The building is to the curb and it looks URBAN. I support more of these projects.

Old Posted May 3, 2012, 12:43 AM

Talking Welcome!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by southtucsonboy77 View Post
Hello Tucson! I've been a fan of this thread for over a year...I finally got my lazy behind to log-in and join in the discussions.

Anyhow, I drove by the District the other day, and despite some criticism by the media and by some folks in the ADS on the aesthetics of the building (and this was when the structure was being framed), I actually love it. It turned out great and its a good change. The building is to the curb and it looks URBAN. I support more of these projects.
Hey! Welcome to the discussion! I too was a fan of the threads for several months before I thought I would just become a member. I suspect there are many people who just read regularly and are shy to join but that's okay, I was/am shy too.

Old Posted May 3, 2012, 4:59 AM
Tucsonan

Quote:
Hey! Welcome to the discussion! I too was a fan of the threads for several months before I thought I would just become a member. I suspect there are many people who just read regularly and are shy to join but that's okay, I was/am shy too.
i was on the same boat, read the thread for years before joining in, i drive by the district almost everyday, i love watching its progress, i love how it looks as well and its proximity to the curb.

Old Posted May 4, 2012, 7:29 PM

I'd say it's a small chance this roughly $2 billion project ever gets completed with this state's current government, but the discussion is interesting nonetheless.

Quote:
ADOT studies 6 rail routes for Tucson-to-Phoenix line

Read more: http://azstarnet.com/news/local/govt...#ixzz1tvo5hlQa

Six conceptual routes for a rail line connecting Tucson and Phoenix are under consideration by the Arizona Department of Transportation.

ADOT's $6.3 million Passenger Rail Corridor Study has been under way for a year. It will include a feasibility study and an environmental impact study, and it will be available to the public and policymakers next year.

As part of the study, nearly 3,000 people, including Tucsonans, participated in a survey last fall about their interest in intercity rail.

The study currently includes six corridor concepts that link downtown Tucson and downtown Phoenix and 38 potential station locations.

When looking at where to put a new rail line, ADOT favors placing tracks next to existing tracks and roads, said Chris Lopez, ADOT rail planner.

He presented an early preview of the six options on Wednesday at a Regional Transportation Authority committee meeting. They will be presented to the public later this year.

Tucson station options include the University of Arizona, the Tucson Convention Center and the historic depot in downtown.

All six routes would go north from downtown Tucson next to Interstate 10 corridor or the Union Pacific freight rail tracks. Some routes include a proposed connection to Oro Valley and a potential extension to the Tucson International Airport.

From the Picacho area, the routes begin to differ in how they get to the Phoenix metro area.

One idea is to continue along I-10 to Chandler.

Three of the ideas would put tracks next to Arizona 87, to link to Coolidge and Queen Creek, or to link to Casa Grande and Chandler, or to link to Florence and the planned Superstition Vistas corridor.

Another idea is to put tracks next to Arizona 238, the Maricopa-Casa Grande Highway.

The study will allow the state to apply for federal funds to turn the concepts into possible projects in the future. The State Rail Plan says building an intercity rail between Tucson and Phoenix would cost an estimated $15 million per mile, not including the cost of operations and maintenance.

On the web

Passenger Rail Corridor Study website: azdot.gov/passengerrail
As always, I'd probably avoid the comments.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest