HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Nov 16, 2023, 5:22 PM

Victorian houses of Dover, Delaware

Here's a small collection of Victorian houses, of different styles, from Dover, the capital of Delaware. Almost all of these houses are along State Street. Victorian architecture has been disappearing in Dover since the 1950s, after Colonial Revival architecture had set in and Victorian architecture was either "ugly" or not compatible with the Colonial Revival government buildings in town. Many commercial and government building in Victorian styles had been demolished from about 1950 to 1960, although demolishing Victorian buildings continued to a degree in the 1960s and into the early 1970s. Occasionally buildings or houses from the Victorian era are demolished in modern times; a stately house from the 1860s on the south side of town was demolished in the past year so the parcel could be redeveloped.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2023, 5:57 PM

All very interesting!

Yeah, Victorian houses/architcture had a bad rap in the first half of the 20th Century. Considered outdated/antiquated, ugly, and even inconvenient, and difficult to remodel into a "modern" home because of the odd proportions.

I've been inside a few Victorian-era homes in LA that weren't fixed up. They were modest homes, both single-story. No hallways! To get to the bathrooms, you had to go through a bedroom, or the kitchen.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Nov 17, 2023, 2:29 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Very nice. It's great to see that so much history is still being preserved, in spite of what you mentioned, that is not the case in many places.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2023, 1:01 AM

I think the last example shown is my favorite.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos