HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Nov 7, 2023, 5:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx View Post
Great pictures! Arizona is my favorite state out there.

Prescott and Wickenburg are on my bucket list for out west. Prescott looks like a cross between Flagstaff and Phoenix, which makes sense given the elevation for Prescott and the other two cities.

Even your pictures of Quartzite and Cottonwood are interesting. We don't see much of forgotten Arizona on here.

Jerome looks really gritty. It looks like if you took a town in the Coal Country of central Pennsylvania or a neighborhood of Pittsburgh and plopped it down in Arizona. I always think it's interesting when people say Jerome is a ghost town, because it is very busy for being deserted. It's like the opposite of the Yogi Berra quote: "Nobody goes there anymore, because it's too crowded."

It is quite impressive that you got to see a lyre guitar in the museum. There is one in the Nemours Mansion here in Delaware that I have seen. According to a guide at the Nemours Mansion, there are only 3 or 4 lyre guitars in the entire world. This article also says there's three in the whole world. If there really are just three in the world, then there's just one more to account for.
It's funny because I didn't think of Jerome as being gritty; I just saw it as an old hillside town. But I can see how it could be considered gritty. The ruins of that old hotel, I assume, are preserved in that "arrested decay" state.

The MIM is a very good museum, I highly recommend it. Not only do you see rare and old musical instruments, but it covers cultures and music and instruments from all over the world. I didn't find it western or ethno-centric at all. It's a very culturally comprehensive museum.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Nov 8, 2023, 10:18 PM
E pluribus unum

Seriously, you can spend at least 45 minutes to an hour in each wing/continent at MIM. By far one of the best museums I've ever been to.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos