HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Oct 25, 2023, 11:33 PM

WS has extended YEG-PHX into June, maybe they'll make it year round?

Old Posted Oct 28, 2023, 12:16 AM

Just flew into YEG again, can someone explain this new drop off and pickup location? What’s the reasoning for this?! A bit less chaotic I suppose but I didn’t know anything about it until I got outside.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2023, 5:42 PM

I think they are doing renos/repairs to the roadways in front.

Signage could be a lot clearer from the airport, wasn't fun coming back to the cold weather and navigating myself all the way across the parking lot to catch my ride..

Old Posted Oct 30, 2023, 3:40 PM
A Better Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeLRS View Post
Just flew into YEG again, can someone explain this new drop off and pickup location? What’s the reasoning for this?! A bit less chaotic I suppose but I didn’t know anything about it until I got outside.
They didn't have any signage inside the terminal directing arriving passengers? You would think there'd also be staff lingering to help direct as well.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2023, 6:44 PM
Urbis Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeLRS View Post
They are replacing the decking on the departures level. A complete closure is the most effective and timely way to do this.

If there's an issue with signage then I suggest you bring it up with customer service with EIA.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2023, 6:40 PM

Icelandair brought back Halifax using 737 Max 8 aircraft today. Would have been nice to have them come back to YEG.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2023, 7:01 PM
Community Guy

I don't see it given that they have other markets to 'tap' and the fundamental challenges within their tourism industry/capacity challenges.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Nov 2, 2023, 10:33 PM

Yup....airlines have been announcing all sorts of summer routes. Icelandair was successful here. Clearly the eia folks are busy with their sustainability blah blah blah. Little focus on aviation and route development.

Very sad indeed.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2023, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
I don't see it given that they have other markets to 'tap' and the fundamental challenges within their tourism industry/capacity challenges.
Perhaps WS might run it from YEG next summer, tho, I’m not hopeful

Old Posted Nov 4, 2023, 7:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace.yyc View Post
Contrary to your assessment that US carriers are adding service to western Canadian cities in droves, the reality is mostly the opposite. This ongoing idea that a rich Canadian metro of 1.4 million is off the radar of carriers and the "business community and airport authority" are the ones who successfully reminded Air Canada that Edmonton exists is laughable. Yes, the airline that formerly flew lucrative transatlantic service from Edmonton has completely forgotten it exists. The same applies to US carriers. If you believe YEG's lack of US service is because none of the legacies have gotten a call from the YEG airport authority whining about it, all the power to you. A far more logical explanation is that based on their own assessment, launching the service to YEG in current market conditions would not be profitable.

I do find myself wondering if you apply this logic to all Canadian airports, or is it just YEG. While many await the return of AC service on YVR-TPE for example, I've seen nobody blame this on YVR's negligence to approach AC about the service. How would you assess it?
You are right partially; people's expectations of the Airport Authority to bring in business is not logical. They could sell themselves in the best way possible, and it might not result in anything. Their primary purpose is to run the airport itself in a cost effective way, manage day to day operations smoothly, and be smart with organization. Rarely are they the driver behind route expansion, same at all other airports. At YVR, the airport authority almost seems surprised whenever new services are announced lol, they did not have major role in anything. They are just the management plus PR team, but the airlines would be doing their own business cases and decisions. Don't get me wrong, a good airport authority is critical, but moreso for how the airport runs and its facilities, not so much for doing airline route planning.

And you're right, at YVR there's never any blame directed at the airport authority for route losses, it's always though of as the airline's decision and that's that. Granted, the losses and lack of growth at YEG is a lot more frustrating than losing an AC route that was only in operation for a couple years, and there's still 14x weekly flights on other carriers. Kind of dulls the losses, especially when they expand other routes and and new ones, it's give and take. So not the same situation as in YEG in most cases, people's frustration is 100% understandable. There's been such a gutting of so much capacity, people are angry to see once robust service go down to near-non-existant, it's understandable. But airport authority is not the main culprit, no way. Unless it comes out they were so awful in dealing with the airlines that route planners across the country and the US chose to boycott the airport strictly due to the airport authority... ya no that's not a possibility. It was a bad combination of Calgary becoming so huge it just casts a shadow over anywhere else in the prairies, it's like a black hole there now, devouring everywhere else. But Edmonton is doing well and "Alberta is back" so addition of routes is far more likely now than say 5 years ago

Old Posted Nov 6, 2023, 11:28 AM

Amsterdam – Edmonton eff 27OCT24 787-9 tentatively scheduled, 3 weekly (777-200ER in NW23)

https://www.aeroroutes.com/eng/231106-klnw24inc

Old Posted Nov 6, 2023, 3:52 PM

^ looks like they go back to the 330-200 during the summer.

We are booked in June and that's what I am seeing.

Subject to change of course.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2023, 4:45 PM

Westjet from YEG to Atlanta is being announced

Old Posted Nov 7, 2023, 5:35 PM
early dogecoin investor

Westjet is adding

YEG-ATL Daily
YEG-BNA 2x Weekly
YEG-SFO 5x Weekly

For S24

Love to see it!

Old Posted Nov 7, 2023, 6:12 PM

Putting the pressure on Flair with that Nashville Flight.

Daily Atlanta is pretty cool.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2023, 6:49 PM

How long until the usual suspects complain?

Old Posted Nov 7, 2023, 7:26 PM

Nice

Old Posted Nov 7, 2023, 7:44 PM

Good week for YEG transportation with South LRT starting and new routes from Westjet.

Both are positive.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2023, 7:47 PM

now give us Newark or jfk

Old Posted Nov 7, 2023, 7:49 PM

Hopefully not a zero sum game.....AC isn't fully committed to the SFO route because it runs a tiny aircraft while Flair's schedule to BNA is strange.

Time will tell if AC and Flair keep those routes now that they have competition.

ATL is a game changer....hopefully that leads to eventually having a flight to JFK in 2025.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton