HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Mar 30, 2021, 4:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAsam View Post
^The Subway sandwich shop closed in the Bradbury Building?! It won't ever be the same being in that building and not smelling those sandwiches...
I know right? That was part of the experience

When Blue Bottle moved in next door, I figured that means rent is going up so Subway may not last... and looks like it didn't survive COVID.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2021, 5:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by negentropic behavior View Post
From that angle I am fairly certain you are looking directly toward the South Coast Metro/Irvine skyline.
40 miles away, but that would fit. The hills behind the Irvine/Newport Beach buildings would be the Laguna Hills, a coastal western spur of the Santa Ana Mountains. A really clear day to see them from DTLA.

Last edited by CaliNative; Mar 31, 2021 at 6:03 AM.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2021, 6:20 AM

Photos of The Grand Ave project really don’t do it justice. It looks and feels SO much better in person IMO

Old Posted Apr 2, 2021, 11:31 AM
BANNED

LA looks great!

Old Posted Apr 2, 2021, 5:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhunsberger View Post
Photos of The Grand Ave project really don’t do it justice. It looks and feels SO much better in person IMO
That's great to hear. Hopefully this project will serve as a catalyst for further Bunker Hill development, similar to what LA Live did in South Park.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2021, 5:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhunsberger View Post

but this was SO much better....

therealdeal.com

^ that gap was there for over 40-50 yrs. I believe even the classic gothic Atlantic Richfield bldg that used to stand at 5th & flower didn't last as long. I miss that bldg as much as I'm glad the tinker toy parking structure across from disney hall has gone to that big junkyard in the sky.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2021, 8:13 PM

To be fair that parking structure didn't look nearly as bad as it did from aerial shots, otherwise it would've been replaced far sooner.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2021, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niftybox View Post
To be fair that parking structure didn't look nearly as bad as it did from aerial shots, otherwise it would've been replaced far sooner.
It looked worse quite honestly.

The Grand definitely looks great and makes a HUGE difference in the area. Cant wait till all the landscaping is up and people are back. Now to soften the street scape and make it more human friendly...

Old Posted Apr 3, 2021, 2:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan View Post
It looked worse quite honestly.

The Grand definitely looks great and makes a HUGE difference in the area. Cant wait till all the landscaping is up and people are back. Now to soften the street scape and make it more human friendly...
I feel like landscaped medians could go a long way in DTLA, especially on streets that are too wide for a walkable downtown to make them more human scaled and add some greenery.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2021, 3:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAisthePlace View Post
I feel like landscaped medians could go a long way in DTLA, especially on streets that are too wide for a walkable downtown to make them more human scaled and add some greenery.
Absolutely. It's a no brainer. Grand, flower, Olympic, hope...

Old Posted Apr 7, 2021, 4:50 AM
:o

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan View Post
Absolutely. It's a no brainer. Grand, flower, Olympic, hope...
I've always envisioned Olympic getting a landscaped median island around the LA Live area. It's such a wide road in an entertainment district with high pedestrian traffic and outdoor dining. Hopefully sometime in the future!

Old Posted Apr 9, 2021, 7:43 PM

36-story Arts District tower gets City Planning Commission's approval. They look to break ground in late 2021. Since it's Onni, if it gets approved by the Council this one should happen.

Would be the tallest building built in the Arts District (for now).

On that note - Anyone know if 520 Mateo is making progress? Would love for them have put all that funny business behind them and get that beautiful tower done.

https://urbanize.city/la/post/downto...ssion-approval

Old Posted Apr 9, 2021, 9:41 PM

I'm glad they're getting started on that but Onni seems to enjoy making 1 project at a time. I really want Onni to get moving on their other downtown centric projects.

Times Mirror Square i can understand the delay, but what about Olympic&Hill? At 760 feet it would be the tallest residential tower in the city and it was approved ages ago!

Anyways heres a shot of Grand Ave from yesterday:

Old Posted Apr 9, 2021, 10:46 PM

Why does the diagram have Fig@Pico at 140m? Was there a height reduction?

Old Posted Apr 10, 2021, 1:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojeda101 View Post
I'm glad they're getting started on that but Onni seems to enjoy making 1 project at a time. I really want Onni to get moving on their other downtown centric projects.

Times Mirror Square i can understand the delay, but what about Olympic&Hill? At 760 feet it would be the tallest residential tower in the city and it was approved ages ago!
Yeah. I have been patiently waiting for Olympic/Hill to break ground. There were rumors last year when a tree was designated and posted for removal but the tree is still there and so is the parking lot.

Onni does have two projects currently under construction, one in Long Beach and the other in Hollywood. If I had to guess, the next tower would be the LAT property. I think that the neighborhood for this tower will really become more attractive once the subway is extended and with Biden in office, that could be sooner rather than later.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2021, 1:37 AM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yackemflaber69 View Post
Why does the diagram have Fig@Pico at 140m? Was there a height reduction?
Was it recently changed? If not could be outdated.

I noticed 755 fig is only 650 ish on that page when I think it should be 695, unless it was cut too.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2021, 1:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
Was it recently changed? If not could be outdated.

I noticed 755 fig is only 650 ish on that page when I think it should be 695, unless it was cut too.
Every article I can find haven't said anything about a height reduction

Old Posted Apr 10, 2021, 2:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojeda101 View Post

Anyways heres a shot of Grand Ave from yesterday:

This one looks good.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2021, 12:22 AM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAisthePlace View Post
36-story Arts District tower gets City Planning Commission's approval. They look to break ground in late 2021. Since it's Onni, if it gets approved by the Council this one should happen.

Would be the tallest building built in the Arts District (for now).

On that note - Anyone know if 520 Mateo is making progress? Would love for them have put all that funny business behind them and get that beautiful tower done.

https://urbanize.city/la/post/downto...ssion-approval

I hope the arts district explodes with more activity. Cheaper land, less nimbys (I would assume), 30 more of these in a range of 7-50 stories would be nice, add the subway stop and its good. If things get crazy enough, it might be smart to eventually think about rerouting the blue line to continue northward to service the area and link back up with the network in little Tokyo (1st street) onward to union station. Before people say nay, that's what transfers and expansions are for.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2021, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligrad View Post
I hope the arts district explodes with more activity. Cheaper land, less nimbys (I would assume), 30 more of these in a range of 7-50 stories would be nice, add the subway stop and its good. If things get crazy enough, it might be smart to eventually think about rerouting the blue line to continue northward to service the area and link back up with the network in little Tokyo (1st street) onward to union station. Before people say nay, that's what transfers and expansions are for.
It would be great if City of LA actually has the vision to upzone a whole neighborhood with redevelopment goals and plans for transit links. Cities in other parts of the world do this all the time but LA hasn't attempted anything like that since Century City was born in the age of automobile.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations