HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Sep 15, 2013, 6:30 AM
designer&stuff

Kansas City, Missouri in September

Some photos of Kansas City's downtown area, Liberty Memorial, and The Plaza.

“Most planning of the past fifteen years has been based upon three destructive fallacies: the cataclysmic insists upon tearing everything down in order to design from an absolutely clean slate; the automotive would plan for the free passage of the automobile at the expense of all other values; the suburban dislikes the city anyway and would just as soon destroy its density and strew it across the countryside.” Vince Scully

Old Posted Sep 15, 2013, 10:33 PM
Selfie-stick vendor

Interesting views of a city I'll probably never have a chance to visit!

Old Posted Sep 16, 2013, 12:31 AM
designer&stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_denizen View Post
Interesting views of a city I'll probably never have a chance to visit!
Thank you. The majority of the photos entailed the 'touristy' areas of the town. Well, you're always welcome here if you get a chance to visit.
“Most planning of the past fifteen years has been based upon three destructive fallacies: the cataclysmic insists upon tearing everything down in order to design from an absolutely clean slate; the automotive would plan for the free passage of the automobile at the expense of all other values; the suburban dislikes the city anyway and would just as soon destroy its density and strew it across the countryside.” Vince Scully

Old Posted Sep 16, 2013, 7:19 AM

Nice!

Downtown looks like it's improving from what I remember. One of these days I like to visit again.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2013, 2:39 PM
Universal Traveler

Smile

Nice pictures of Kansas City. Thanks for sharing.

I specially like those pics taken from that park. The skyline of Kansas is very nice. I´ve noticed that the grass in the Liberty Memorial looks very dry, is it normal?

I´d like to visit Kansas City. It looks pretty.

Congrats and greetings from Madrid, Spain.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2013, 5:18 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Nice photos. I've always had an affinity for Kansas City. Glad to see it's still looking good.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Sep 17, 2013, 1:17 AM
designer&stuff

Thanks for the comments everyone.

Quote:
Downtown looks like it's improving from what I remember. One of these days I like to visit again.
It certainly went through a rough patch, but things are slowly turning around. There's more of a push toward continued residential development downtown to bolster the already growing number of residents. Plus, the following might help to build up a more encompassing transportation network:

http://www.burnsmcdblog.com/2013/03/...ublic-meeting/

Quote:
I´ve noticed that the grass in the Liberty Memorial looks very dry, is it normal?
The region experienced a drought last year, but a lack of rain lately may have caused the dry condition found in my photos.

Quote:
I've always had an affinity for Kansas City. Glad to see it's still looking good.
I find it to be a well-rounded city, albeit it does have its share of issues like any another city in the U.S.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2013, 3:57 AM
I Couldn't Tell Anyone

I hope that you're enjoying Andy Reid.

csnphilly.com

Old Posted Sep 20, 2013, 1:02 AM
designer&stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by volguus zildrohar View Post
I hope that you're enjoying Andy Reid.

csnphilly.com
He has done a great job so far. Hopefully the Royals can make it to the playoffs.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2013, 1:07 AM
disneypilled verhoevenist

always happy to see my personal second city on here.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2013, 5:23 AM
IWant2BeInSTL

DT KC is looking great!

i love this building:

we had a similar one in DT St. Louis–the Marquette Building Annex–that was torn down some time in the 90's for (what else?) a parking garage. I wonder if it was the same architect...

Old Posted Sep 20, 2013, 4:56 PM

KC's looking good. Western Auto has always been one of my favorite buildings-it has such a graceful curve to it, plus an iconic sign.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2013, 12:52 AM
designer&stuff

Thanks for the comments everyone.

Quote:
always happy to see my personal second city on here.
I need to get out to St. Louis sometime. It's of course just down the road.

Quote:
we had a similar one in DT St. Louis–the Marquette Building Annex–that was torn down some time in the 90's for (what else?) a parking garage. I wonder if it was the same architect...
The photo shows the Boley Building, which was saved and renovated with the construction of the Town Pavilion complex just to the right of the historic structure.

I looked up the Marquette Building Annex on builtstlouis.net. It's too bad to see that addition demolished. Both Kansas City and Saint Louis have lost a number of their downtown buildings, but they still have a number of interesting structures left. Also, I need to see St. Louis in person, but it seems downtown KC has fared better in saving older buildings in comparison to St. Louis.

Quote:
KC's looking good. Western Auto has always been one of my favorite buildings-it has such a graceful curve to it, plus an iconic sign.
It is a pretty interesting building. That sign has been up there for over fifty years, which is impressive.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2013, 3:27 PM
"Pow! Right in the kissa"

Definitely a city with a backbone

Enjoyable thread!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos