HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Mar 2, 2020, 1:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster duck View Post
I visited Westheimer about 4 years ago, and had a chance to walk it from Dunlavy to Montrose - or wherever the plaza where Half Price books is.

While it was very lively, the overall experience seemed like it wasn't working for anybody. For pedestrians, the sidewalk was too narrow in most places and often cracked or in poor repair. For drivers, the 4 lane setup is pretty lousy, with the outermost lanes being barely wide enough to fit cars, let alone buses. I also remember the road surface being in poor shape - maybe it has been repaved. A rebuild of this stretch where there's 2 through lanes, a left turn lane, bike lanes and nicer sidewalks would do wonders.

On that there stretch of Westheimer, atween Montrose and Dunlavy, I didn't see no pedestrian nowhere, pardner. Come to think of it, the whole stretch of Westheimer is post-apocalyptic. Wuzzup?

Old Posted Mar 9, 2020, 4:09 PM

i think washington is getting more and more popular too.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2020, 5:50 AM
BANNED

not a nice looking street...if I visited I wouldn't be going there, it's ugly and strip malls dominate.

Last edited by aquablue; Apr 4, 2020 at 6:27 AM.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2020, 7:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilbao58 View Post
Edited to add: I think with some major work, the Montrose/Westheimer intersection and the two streets extending outward in all directions could become something of an attraction for tourists and locals alike. I'd like to see more hotel space in the area. The Colombe d'Or tower is a start.
This is an attraction for tourists?

https://www.google.com/maps/@29.7443...7i16384!8i8192

Not trying to be snarky, maybe i'm missing something.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2020, 7:19 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh View Post

ahaha, Australian snark is legendary

Ha, but I agree, it's a generic strip mall road that you could find anywhere USA....

Last edited by aquablue; Apr 5, 2020 at 7:33 AM.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2020, 3:13 PM

Quote:

Haha no, it's just an intersection that has been long fantasized by Houston "urban enthusiasts" due to its potential.

"Such then is the human condition , that to wish greatness for one's country is to wish harm to one's neighbor" Voltaire

Old Posted Apr 5, 2020, 3:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double L View Post
It does seem like it would be pretty easy for the city to set up a project that would renovate Westheimer. Maybe we should turn Montrose into a TIRZ.
It does.... but Montrose had the most corrupt "management district", which is a an easily corruptible way to oversee the management of the TIRZ money. I believe it' still currently in litigation.

Upper Kirby, Midtown, and Downtown have greatly benefited from better TIRZ fund management and therefore have better roads and parks.

"Such then is the human condition , that to wish greatness for one's country is to wish harm to one's neighbor" Voltaire

Old Posted Apr 5, 2020, 8:09 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:

No. That intersection was the hub of Houston's gay community back in the 80's and 90's. Many of whom and long since scattered and the area became gentrified and less quirky. The area is on the verge of major redevelopment...or was pre-pandemic/ oil market collapse.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2020, 12:48 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
No. That intersection was the hub of Houston's gay community back in the 80's and 90's. Many of whom and long since scattered and the area became gentrified and less quirky. The area is on the verge of major redevelopment...or was pre-pandemic/ oil market collapse.
Holy crap, it has a loong way to go to be anything. Honestly, Houston should just focus on fixing it's rather boring downtown first. Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad idea to be developing these outer areas that are total shitholes right now, but let's be honest, the CORE city is the most important part. If the core is lacking, like it is in LA, the whole cities reputation will take a major hit with visitors. Having a core city that is vibrant is the key to getting a good reputation globally. That's why LA is known for being a city with "no there, there". If your downtown is a snooze fest, the general reputation of Houston will suffer. Houston needs a "there".

Last edited by aquablue; Apr 6, 2020 at 1:02 AM.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2020, 1:40 AM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
Holy crap, it has a loong way to go to be anything. Honestly, Houston should just focus on fixing it's rather boring downtown first. Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad idea to be developing these outer areas that are total shitholes right now, but let's be honest, the CORE city is the most important part. If the core is lacking, like it is in LA, the whole cities reputation will take a major hit with visitors. Having a core city that is vibrant is the key to getting a good reputation globally. That's why LA is known for being a city with "no there, there". If your downtown is a snooze fest, the general reputation of Houston will suffer. Houston needs a "there".
Houston is too spread out and multimodal too just focus on downtown. There are several other areas around town that are centers of business and activity that growing and will need further development. No one goes to LA and thinks it is boring because their downtown is meh, but rather 'LA' is an eclectic hodgepodge of places.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2020, 2:13 AM
Selfie-stick vendor

whats amazing about houston is

how little there is of this : https://www.google.com/maps/@29.8028...7i16384!8i8192

and how many mattress stores/pet stores there are in the city..plus the sheer amount of space used for parking is given it's often not even used.

however the residential built environment is fine and the construction around various nodes is pretty quickly filling in the gaps

it would take relatively little investment/road diets/new small commercial buildings to turn this a pretty great neighborhood.

https://www.google.com/maps/@29.7402.../data=!3m1!1e3

Old Posted Apr 6, 2020, 4:53 AM
Dryer lint inspector

^ the city has a ridiculous parking minimum in most parts of town unless it's an older development grandfathered in. The glut of mattress stores has recently been thinned out with bankruptcy of biggest chain, Mattress Firm. Joke was that it was a front for the mob as there were so many at one point.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2020, 5:34 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
^ the city has a ridiculous parking minimum in most parts of town unless it's an older development grandfathered in. The glut of mattress stores has recently been thinned out with bankruptcy of biggest chain, Mattress Firm. Joke was that it was a front for the mob as there were so many at one point.
Oh God, there too? Although, it does have one of the punnier names of any store.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2020, 5:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_denizen View Post
whats amazing about houston is

how little there is of this : https://www.google.com/maps/@29.8028...7i16384!8i8192

and how many mattress stores/pet stores there are in the city..plus the sheer amount of space used for parking is given it's often not even used.

however the residential built environment is fine and the construction around various nodes is pretty quickly filling in the gaps

it would take relatively little investment/road diets/new small commercial buildings to turn this a pretty great neighborhood.

https://www.google.com/maps/@29.7402.../data=!3m1!1e3
Much cooler - I'm surprised at the density and appeal of some of those smart newer infill townhouses too.

But this also proves that 'walkability' is much more than just density: The sidewalks, drainage ditches and verges are very ad hoc or neglected.

What a baffling city.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2020, 8:51 PM
Houston:Considered Good

You guys got this all wrong. Montrose is a very cultural area with all types of people and Montrose@Westheimer is the center of it. That’s what makes it special.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2020, 9:36 PM
Selfie-stick vendor

plus you can buy a nice firm mattress and visit the qaint shoppes of ye olde strip mall

Old Posted Apr 6, 2020, 9:36 PM
Selfie-stick vendor

dallas is filling in its commercial areas a lot more aesthetically than houston.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2020, 9:46 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
dallas is filling in its commercial areas a lot more aesthetically than houston.
Houston is too. Westheimer/ Montrose is just a shitty area that just happens to be the historic center of the city's eclectic scene. There are tons of areas where there's quality commercial development. Some not that far from here.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2020, 10:05 PM

Quote:
plus you can buy a nice firm mattress and visit the qaint shoppes of ye olde strip mall

I just got a whiff of a bordello scene from an old John Ford Western. Thank you Lawd.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2020, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Houston is too spread out and multimodal too just focus on downtown. There are several other areas around town that are centers of business and activity that growing and will need further development. No one goes to LA and thinks it is boring because their downtown is meh, but rather 'LA' is an eclectic hodgepodge of places.
Downtown LAs financial district maybe somewhat dull, but downtown in general is not, especially for the younger crowd. Its likely LA's largest nightlife area these days.

Tourists must love the "new downtown" as well, going off the demand for new hotels everywhere.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions