HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Mar 28, 2020, 9:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave8721 View Post
Coconut Grove back in the 80's and early 90's was THE nightlife hotspot. Its much quieter and more "family friendly" now. I guess you could say it gentrified but it was never "bad" it just lost its luster as all the nightlife/bars moved to places like Wynwood and now that Brickell exists the Grove is no longer the place for young yuppies to live. Now its more wealthy families.

Wynwood would qualify as a gentrified area but thats what I meant by the whole "Edgewater" area. Wynwood even has new residents complaining about the noise and trying to get the bars and clubs to quiet down so it has officially reached the point all once fun areas reach.
Right, I guess I meant it lost some luster. It just hasn’t noticeably improved imo.

I hung out in the Grove in the late 80’s. In one instance the largest gang fight I ever saw went down in the heart of it. 100’s of Latin Kings, International posse, Folk nation and evil nation melee. No gun shots, but lots of fighting and some knives out. It was crazy. Outside of college town riots, it’s the craziest thing I ever saw. Imagine that happening in Beverly Hills, the Upper West Side or Lincoln Park?

Old Posted Mar 28, 2020, 9:59 PM

A majority of the old City of Toronto is "gentrified" or was already affluent To the NW, even with the old boundaries gone for two decades, the old borough of York-Toronto seems to be a rough boundary line. York is basically a pre-WWII working class suburb.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2020, 10:04 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
most of chicago remains un-gentrified.

a tale of two cities through and through.

blue is higher income
yellow is middle income
orange is lower income

................................................1970..............................................................................................2017

source: https://www.wbez.org/shows/wbez-news...aign=Web-Share
Just an interesting fact. There are two cities surrounded by Chicago's city limits.

I used to live in Park Ridge and My go to Italian Beef was Jay's Beef in Harwood Heights on Narragansett ave. They make the best homemade Gardi hands down.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/jays-italia...arwood-heights

Video Link

That's how you eat a beef my friends.

Sometimes its easier standing up on a high table if you want to keep your cloths clean.

I liked the area. It was pretty Italian hood back than.

https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/2017...-city-suburbs/

Why Aren't Norridge, Harwood Heights Part Of The City? It Didn't Want Them

By Alex Nitkin | March 8, 2017

"The story I was always told is that when city surveyors were annexing all this territory, they just got to where we were, and said 'Yeesh,'" said Martwick, who served as a Norridge village trustee before voters sent him to Springfield in 2012. "Like 'I'll go left, you go right, and we'll meet on the other side.'"

Instead of sinking their tax dollars into expressways and Downtown high-rises in Mayor Richard J. Daley's Chicago, citizens of Norridge and Harwood Heights got to carve out a retail empire, exclusively for their own benefit.

From Martwick's telling, Sieb — who served as mayor until his death in 1998, making him the longest-serving municipal leader in state history — often boasted of calls he got from Daley, asking 'Are you ready to join the city yet?'"

Not only do Norridge and Harwood Heights' streets have fewer cracks and less litter, he said, but the village can afford a heavier police presence than the city's Jefferson Park Police District, where ranks dipped below 200 officers last year for an area covering 36 square miles.

And thanks in part to the sales tax raked in through Harlem-Irving Plaza, a megamall now anchored by a Target and packed with ritzy department stores, the village hardly needs to collect any property taxes to keep public services running.

It was a formula that village leaders drew up by necessity, Martwick said.

Last edited by bnk; Mar 28, 2020 at 10:18 PM.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2020, 3:30 AM
BANNED

Digusting... holy shit. you eat that?

Least gentrified towns are mostly in the poor areas of the country.. probably the rust belt, deep south, and plains.

Last edited by aquablue; Apr 4, 2020 at 6:25 AM.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions