HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jan 7, 2010, 9:10 AM

How about if you're going to run for president, then being a Governor first is the route, but just for mere prestige alone, the Senate is desired?

www.UtahProjects.info

Old Posted Jan 7, 2010, 5:20 PM
BANNED

Exclamation Congressman wants brother to run for governor

I REALLY want Salazar to run as having him in office would be GREAT for Pueblo. He knows water and the economy and alternative energy etc. This would really cause a 10 year economic boom in Pueblo not seen since the post WW2 decades of the 1950's and 1960's.

Interior Secretary Ken Salazar got an early shove Wednesday to come back to Colorado and run for governor this year. The push came from his brother, U.S. Rep. John Salazar, D-Colo.

"I think my brother would be the best candidate," the congressman said during a morning tour of Xcel Energy's Comanche Station power plant. "Ken knows the state, and he knows all the issues. Of course, he's only been Interior secretary for a year and I don't want to be putting words in his mouth."

Ken Salazar, the former Colorado senator, would not comment on his interest

in replacing Gov. Bill Ritter, who stunned Colorado Democrats with his

announcement Wednesday that he would not run for re-election this year. “Bill Ritter has been a devoted servant of the public at great sacrifice to self and family," the Interior secretary said in a prepared statement following the governor's announcement.

"I have enjoyed our work together during my time as attorney general, United States senator and secretary of the Interior. I wish him and his family all the best and thank him for his service.”

His skirting the issue whether he is interested in the governor's job only heightened the likelihood that Ken Salazar's name will remain on the list of likely candidates that Democrats mention when talking about a candidate to replace Ritter.

Ken Salazar was elected to the Senate in 2004 but left that job a year ago to head the Interior Department at the request of President Barack Obama.

His brother, John, said he received word of Ritter's surprise decision Tuesday night and was "stunned."

The two brothers spoke by telephone about Ritter's decision early Wednesday. John Salazar, who represents Pueblo and the 3rd Congressional District, is running for a fourth term this year and waved off any suggestion he would run for governor.

"I love working for my district and there is still much work to do," he said. The congressman has moved up in influence this year, being appointed to the important House Appropriations Committee.

Ritter had been considered a rising star in Democratic politics, but became a governor presiding over ever-deeper budget cuts in the past year. He also had come under fire from labor groups for vetoing several pro-union measures.

Ritter's decision to appoint Sen. Michael Bennet to fill the seat vacated by Ken Salazar a year ago also triggered sharp opposition from many Democrats, who said Bennet was an unknown superintendent of Denver Public Schools and that other veteran Democratic lawmakers, such as former House Speaker Andrew Romanoff, deserved the Senate appointment.

John Salazar was among the names recommended to Ritter for consideration at that time.

"Along with my brother, I think there are several Democrats who could step up and be strong candidates for governor," John Salazar said Wednesday. "I'm thinking of (Denver Mayor) John Hickenlooper, Andrew Romanoff, (U.S. Rep.) Ed Perlmutter and I'm sure there are others, too."

Old Posted Jan 7, 2010, 5:33 PM

It seems that the Republicans are pretty energized right now. This coupled with the President's and congress' low approval ratings translates to sweeping victories for slightly right leaning states like Colorado. I will be very surprised if Ritter and Bennett don't lose by significant margins.
Sorry to disappoint all you girl-friendless, socially inept, constantly blogging, have no life, liberals out there but that is how it's going down this fall.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2010, 5:36 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denver_Native View Post
It seems that the Republicans are pretty energized right now. This coupled with the President's and congress' low approval ratings translates to sweeping victories for slightly right leaning states like Colorado. I will be very surprised if Ritter and Bennett don't lose by significant margins.
Sorry to disappoint all you girl-friendless, socially inept, constantly blogging, have no life, liberals out there but that is how it's going down this fall.
That all depends on the economy. If the economy rebounds then it won't be as bad. But history does show that the party in charge does lose seats in a midterm election so that part is almost a guarantee.

Finally if Salazar is the candidate, IMO he has a great chance.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2010, 5:54 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Quote:
Well, maybe if you were a real citizen of the United States, instead of a pile of left-over reproductive matter, and followed current events, you'd realize that Ritter isn't seeking re-election.

But, that would mean you'd have to actually be a contributing member of our national fabric.

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Old Posted Jan 7, 2010, 6:10 PM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Quote:
Uhh, yeah, that makes a hell of a lot of sense... Especially since Ritter isn't going to run for re-election, therefore making your statement patently false. Oh yeah, given that the Republicans are about to split into two parties because of those tea-bagging asshats, yeah, they're energized...

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted Jan 7, 2010, 6:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowrock View Post
Uhh, yeah, that makes a hell of a lot of sense... Especially since Ritter isn't going to run for re-election, therefore making your statement patently false. Oh yeah, given that the Republicans are about to split into two parties because of those tea-bagging asshats, yeah, they're energized...

Aaron (Glowrock)
Bravo Glow...I second that.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2010, 6:46 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowrock View Post

Aaron (Glowrock)
I know you and I disagree a lot but this time I am with you 100%

Old Posted Jan 7, 2010, 6:52 PM
BANNED

Exclamation Salazar endorses Hickenlooper for governor

Well now IMO the chances of the Democrats winning have gone down. Sure he is known in Denver but not the rest of the state. He will have to have a great campaign to even have a chance of winning.

Interior Secretary Ken Salazar took himself out of the running for Colorado's governor, endorsing Denver Mayor John Hickenlooper today as the best candidate the Democrats have to replace Bill Ritter.

Gov. Ritter shocked his party and Republican opponents Wednesday by announcing he would not run for a second term in November.

Hickenlooper, who has been mentioned along with Salazar as a possible front-runner among Democrats, has not said what his plans are.

"Colorado needs a strong, experienced leader with optimism and new ideas for carrying our state forward. That is why I am endorsing John Hickenlooper for governor of Colorado," Salazar said in a news release. "John Hickenlooper is a uniter. He transcends political and geographic divides to bring people together to develop solutions. If he decides to run, he will make an excellent governor for the state of Colorado.

"As for me, I have a job to do as secretary of the Interior to implement President Obama's vision for a clean energy economy and to better protect America's great outdoors," Salazar said.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2010, 7:06 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Hickenlooper has endorsed Salazar and Salazar has endorsed Hickenlooper.

Sounds like the mutual penis sucking is about done and the real jockeying for the nomination will begin. It's either going to be Hickenlooper of Romanoff going for the governorship.

Eeyore, Hickenlooper is known in the rest of the state, you don't have to be a hick with a ranch to win in CO (the image that Mcinnis and Salazar both desperately have put forth instead of the 17th St lawyers they actually are). Though you do have to be known outside of Pueblo.

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Last edited by wong21fr; Jan 7, 2010 at 7:17 PM.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2010, 7:37 PM
BANNED

The bottom line is a democrat needs Pueblo to win in Colorado, why do you think they spend so much time here, and right now the only thing Pueblo knows about Hickenlooper is that he is the mayor of Denver. He will need a good campaign to show the third district including Pueblo that he can be a state wide politician and only has a few months to do it.

He can do it but it will not be a easy task.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2010, 7:44 PM
BANNED

I just talk to my political sources in Pueblo and they seem to think that Hickenlooper is a good choice that Salazar is better in DC. I asked about him being a mayor in Denver and I was told that he will have to pay attention to Pueblo because people like him here will make sure he does. That is a good point since he does need Pueblo to win where the republican needs the Springs to win. So after a brief disappointment that Salazar will not run I feel better about Hickenlooper now.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2010, 7:52 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

^I'm sure he'll make the customary appearances in Pueblo and say the right lines to get the blue-collar support. But, it will be his ability to get the swing counties, such as Jefferson, Arapahoe, and Douglas that will determine the election.

Most counties are set in the stone which way they will go, Denver=Dem, Pueblo=Dem, Boulder=Dem, El Paso=Repub, Mesa=Repub, Weld=Repub (but changing quickly). But these swing counties happen to number # 4,5, and 8 in terms of population and you need to secure a lot of votes in them to have any chance of winning.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2010, 8:02 PM
BANNED

He has a tough role to follow as it seems like Ritters second home is in Pueblo. In fact I wondered if they secretly built a second governors mansion in Pueblo given how many times he has been here! In Pueblo politics is more a sport then anything else and we love it when politicians pay attention to us and give support when they do. So he needs to make a few trips down here to make sure he gets us energized to get out the vote and if he gets in keeps coming down and, like Ritter, get more companies to move here because a stronger Pueblo makes for a stronger democratic party in Colorado.

I am not dismissing Denver, obviously its bigger and plays a bigger role, but as the Post said Pueblo is the most important democratic city outside of the Denver area in Colorado.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2010, 8:09 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

^And it steadily goes Dem every goddamn time. You may think that Pueblo is the keystone to securing the election but the Dems could field a lobotomized-monkey-that-eats-its-own-shit (some candidates have come close) and the Dem political machine in Pueblo would ensure that it would carry the city (Pueblo West is another story). Pueblo is like the NYC's Tamany Hall of the 19th century, the city is locked up tight.

No, it's the swing counties with their larger populations and far more rancorous politics that need to be carried to win a statewide election. Pueblo, like Denver and Boulder, are Dem certainties, so the main focus will go elsewhere.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2010, 9:01 PM

Quote:
This is generally what we call "trolling" because there is nothing substantial to it and its only purpose is to piss people off. I've seen political discussions get heated but. I've never seen anybody else here venture into such personal insults against other members of the forum based on their political ideology. It also seems stupid to piss of VIRTUALLY EVERYONE ELSE HERE since I'd figure at least 3/4 of the visitors here are more liberal than conservative.

However, it is important to note that:

49-53% is generally considered a medium, not low, job approval rating for a president. Barack Obama initially won with 53% of all votes so if roughly the same number of people still like him, that's good. Below 45% is generally the considered the point at which an incumbent becomes very vulnerable.

49-53% It's astronomical compared to where other presidents have been in similar economic conditions so if the economy improves, that's great news for Democrats.

Incumbent approval ratings tend to uptick as the election draws near and discontented base voters come home, and as a portion independent voters invariably realize that though they don't like the incumbent, they don't like the challenger any better. (That's why the number for re-election is around 45 and not 50.)

The Republican party still has a lower approval rating than the Democratic party, and Dems still win on generic ballot polls. The margin has decreased which indicates Dems may lose seats in congress but will almost certainly hold on to majorities in both the House and the Senate.

Colorado is no longer a right-leaning state; registered Democrats now outnumber Republicans, and in 2008 Obama won in Co by a much higher margin he did in traditional "swing states" like Florida or Ohio making CO dead center or better. Most of newly registered voters are young and continued trends indicate that people moving in to the state are more progressive than the existing electoral composition of the state.

Democrats in Colorado have a much better field of candidates than Republicans do when it comes to name recognition and electability. Many potential Republican nominees have already lost elections in the state. Potential Democratic candidates (now that Bill Ritter has dropped out) have very high approval ratings.

Democratic approval ratings are about 2% higher in Western states than they are in national polls, because the national number is dragged down so much by the South. That includes Colorado, where Obama won by 9 points vs. a 7 point national average.

I'm not saying that November 2010 will be a rosy evening for Democrats - getting liberals to turn out will be key - but seeing as our expectations are already pretty low, it's much more likely that we'll be the ones laughing on election night.

Last edited by Pizzuti; Jan 7, 2010 at 9:12 PM.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2010, 9:10 PM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr View Post
^I'm sure he'll make the customary appearances in Pueblo and say the right lines to get the blue-collar support. But, it will be his ability to get the swing counties, such as Jefferson, Arapahoe, and Douglas that will determine the election.

Most counties are set in the stone which way they will go, Denver=Dem, Pueblo=Dem, Boulder=Dem, El Paso=Repub, Mesa=Repub, Weld=Repub (but changing quickly). But these swing counties happen to number # 4,5, and 8 in terms of population and you need to secure a lot of votes in them to have any chance of winning.
I agree completely with your assessment, but wouldn't Jeffco and Arapahoe be #3 and #4 in population, after Denver and El Paso?

I'd tend to think Adams would go Repub as well, would you agree?

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted Jan 7, 2010, 9:21 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

I'd venture that it would, but I think that a knowledgeable source would be Pizzuti, he seems to have a good idea on which way people went in the last election and maybe he's got a breakdown of the more populous counties.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2010, 9:25 PM
BANNED

I am just not exited about this election now that Ritter is not running for re-election or Salazar is not running. Perhaps I will feel better once I hear the candidates speak.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2010, 10:03 PM
mmmm... infillicious!

Adams is a good bet for the Dems, with Arapahoe and Jefferson not far behind. I agree that the election hangs on the Denver metro suburban swing counties (see Obama election 2008).

Having Hickenlooper as the candidate is great for the Dems in these counties as the people there are quite familiar with him (ask 100 suburbanites the name of Denver's mayor and probably 80 would get it right. Ask 100 Denverites to name even one suburban mayor, and you may be lucky to find 20.)

Hickenlooper immediately set as one of his administration's guiding principles reaching out to the suburban areas and ending the arrogance and attitude by Denver about the 'burbs and pressing for regional solutions to our regional problems. That goes a long way to help Hick sweep the metro counties (except for maybe Douglas).

In a 2005 poll, Hickenlooper received 90% approval ratings in Denver, and 75% in suburban areas outside of Denver proper!

DenverInfill Blog
DenverUrbanism

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West