HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Nov 15, 2013, 9:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorque View Post
There are still some of you who don't accept that 1WTC is considered as taller than the Sears Tower...

However, if we forget all this bullshit about antenna, spire, rooftop, etc, we have to admit that, YES, 1WTC is TALLER than the Sears Tower.

It is 541m.
Sears is 527m.

YES, 1WTC is INDEED the tallest building in the western hemisphere. There's no need to worry about that.
No, if you forget about all that stuff, the CN tower is the tallest building in the hemisphere.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2013, 9:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadd22 View Post
No, if you forget about all that stuff, the CN tower is the tallest building in the hemisphere.
CN Tower has never been considered a building.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2013, 10:16 PM
weidncol

One WTC is the tallest building, CN tower is the tallest structure. There's a big difference there.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2013, 10:28 PM

Location: The absolute western-most point of the Philadelphia urbanized area. :)
Wow, John Steward had me cracking up! From One World Trade Center vs. Willis Tower, to New York vs Chicago, to a complete nuking of the deep dish pizza!

Great stuff!!

BTW, One World Trade Center and Willis Tower are both sweet pieces of structural engineering.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2013, 10:39 PM
weidncol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonboy1983 View Post
JBTW, One World Trade Center and Willis Tower are both sweet pieces of structural engineering.
Couldn't agree more! The Willis Tower was one of the best buildings of its time.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2013, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weidncol View Post
One WTC is the tallest building, CN tower is the tallest structure. There's a big difference there.
I respectfully disagree.

If you are going to do as NewYorque says and "forget all this bullshit about antenna, spire, rooftop, etc" then you should also forget all the "bullshit" about building and structure, especially when the CN tower has plenty of enclosed, occupied floors like any other building. (and in particular, NO exposed mast structure anywhere) Not to mention the highest observation deck in the hemisphere.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2013, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaniel View Post
Sweet. Cus the only reason I didn't get to see the Memorial last time I was there was cus my friend had pot on her. lol
Lol that happened to my friend too, only she hid her stuff in the Burger King across from Tower 4 and somehow it was still there when we went back lmfao.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2013, 11:43 PM

CN Tower is a communications/observation structure with an enclosed antenna like the ones atop Willis Tower. 1 WTC is an office tower with a spire, there's a difference. (at least by CTBUH's standards )

Old Posted Nov 16, 2013, 2:50 AM

So let me get this straight....If I build a 10ft tall building to house an office and place a 2000ft antenna on top of it I now have the tallest building in the US at 2010ft? This should be easy.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2013, 3:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsayh1 View Post
So let me get this straight....If I build a 10ft tall building to house an office and place a 2000ft antenna on top of it I now have the tallest building in the US at 2010ft? This should be easy.
If that antenna were actually a permanent structural spire, then yes, obviously.

I don't what is "easy" about this. In any case, go right ahead and build it if it floats your boat. Pretty much no one outside of SSP cares about things like this. To Joe Sixpack the Empire State is probably the world's tallest building.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2013, 4:09 AM
weidncol

Quote:
Yeah, good luck getting the materials for the spire or even a contractor to help build it!

Old Posted Nov 16, 2013, 7:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
You're kidding right? Sears is an architectural masterpiece of it's time, there really is nothing like it. OWTC on the other hand, not so much. Honestly if OWTC didn't have any spire or rings on top of it and had just a clean flat roof it would look a million times better. As it is now the top is a hot mess.
Sears Tower is ugly when comparing it to 1 WTC.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2013, 8:01 AM
Back to Basics

Quote:
No.

According to CTBUH guidelines, the spire may not exceed more than 50 percent of the entire structure to be considered.

So it is theoretically possible to erect a a very tall building with a spire that is 49% of the whole height and it would ALL be considered for the official height.

Over a year ago I posted an exaggerated diagram of 1WTC that would technically be able to beat the Burj Khalifa for World's tallest:

However, the CTBUH still has a rule regarding percentage of usable space and we all know 1WTC has a large percentage of unusable floor-space already. So this may limit the height of the exaggerated spire they would accept.

But it does go to show how ridiculous and arbitrary the CTBUH rules really are.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2013, 8:05 AM
weidncol

This picture shows just how amazing One WTC would have looked if they hadn't removed the radome.

http://i.imgur.com/OFMft5k.jpg

Sorry, but I can't put a thumbnail as the picture is WAY to big.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2013, 2:08 PM
Frigidus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traynor View Post
No.

According to CTBUH guidelines, the spire may not exceed more than 50 percent of the entire structure to be considered.

So it is theoretically possible to erect a a very tall building with a spire that is 49% of the whole height and it would ALL be considered for the official height.

Over a year ago I posted an exaggerated diagram of 1WTC that would technically be able to beat the Burj Khalifa for World's tallest:

However, the CTBUH still has a rule regarding percentage of usable space and we all know 1WTC has a large percentage of unusable floor-space already. So this may limit the height of the exaggerated spire they would accept.

But it does go to show how ridiculous and arbitrary the CTBUH rules really are.
You know 100's of feet of the top of the Burj are unoccupied, right?

I ❤️ NY

Old Posted Nov 16, 2013, 4:15 PM
Back to Basics

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolCzech View Post
You know 100's of feet of the top of the Burj are unoccupied, right?
Yes, and in the case of the Burj Khalifa it is only the top %29 percent of its total height (Or 788' feet 240m) which is unusable. So theoretically to still stay within the CTBUH's criteria, they could have added another 543' feet (166m) of Spire and be at only 49% of the total height. Which, by the way would have made the Burj Khalifa 3260' feet or 994m.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2013, 1:13 AM

My latest video shot from Neponsit, and Breezy Point, Queens, today:

By QUEENSNY121:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDD-j...p_YrtzeCuNTf5A

Old Posted Nov 17, 2013, 1:21 AM
Jeez Louise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traynor View Post
No.

Looks like one I had made a while back too, lol:

Old Posted Nov 17, 2013, 3:05 AM

Not sure if anyone has saw this:

We've come a long way from this

Old Posted Nov 17, 2013, 3:22 AM
Astorian

November 16th, 2013

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive