HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jan 27, 2014, 2:07 PM

Downtown Ogden, LDS Temple Progress

Photographs taken January 22, 2014, courtesy of Charlene Heslop @
http://www.ldschurchtemples.com/ogden/construction/

Photographs taken January 25, 2014, courtesy of Jeff James

Old Posted Jan 28, 2014, 1:27 AM

'Imagine Jefferson' project, in east-central Ogden, begins to take shape

Mitch Shaw, Standard Examinar - From an earlier October article

http://www.standard.net/stories/2013...ins-take-shape

OGDEN -- A group of urban pioneers hope an ambitious project in east-central Ogden will signify the beginning of a new movement in the city.

The Giv Group, an organization that was born three years ago when planner Paige Pitcher and developer Chris Parker began looking for a community with "good bones" to develop, is set to finish the $12 million first phase of a multi-block, mixed-use development project in inner-city Ogden by the beginning of 2014.

The project, which is aptly named "Imagine Jefferson," is located on Jefferson Avenue between 25th and 27th streets, right in the heart of one of Ogden's premier historical districts.

The project's first phase includes three sites, 59 modern residences, retail space, and the adaptive reuse of the historic Weber Academy Gymnasium.

Full completion of the first phase is scheduled for January 2014.

The group says the development will breathe new life into an area that has long been dormant, hoping to help a once vibrant and thriving community regain its vitality and place.

"We hope this is more than just new and renovated buildings," Pitcher said. "We hope it's a community movement."

The renovation of the gym, which had long been known as the Deseret Gym and also functioned as a Gold's Gym, will include 15 single-bedroom units, space for community classes, art space and a coffee shop on the ground floor.

Formerly the old Deseret & Gold's Gym

New construction adjacent to the existing gym building will house 35 one-, two- and three-bedroom apartments with two restaurants. A few blocks south on 27th Street, a new 6-plex will also offer one-, two- and three-bedroom units.

"The Belle House," a new 3-plex on 26th and Jefferson, will be designated as artist residences.

The Belle House, courtesy Standard Examiner

An open house for the recently completed Belle House was held from on Oct. 24 at the home site, 2632 Jefferson Ave.

A traditional prairie-style design, built with salvaged brick and aluminum-clad wooden windows, Pitcher said the Belle House blends well with its century old neighbors on the exterior, but on the inside it's a thoroughly modern structure.

Pitcher said that tank-less water heaters, LED lighting, high-efficiency furnaces, low-flow fixtures, dual-flush toilets, high-reflectivity roofing, low e-windows, and solar-ready design combined with Ogden's first residential use of structural insulated panels create one of the greenest buildings in the city.

"It represents what we want to accomplish with the entire project," Pitcher said. "We want to respect the historic feel of the area and build on the assets that are already in place, but do it with a modern twist."

Last edited by delts145; Mar 21, 2014 at 10:05 AM.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2014, 1:42 AM
Vote for me in 2019!

I really like this project. I applaud developers that can see a vision of a revitalized neighborhood while embracing the many of the existing structures. I am really impressed with the adaptive reuse of the the former gym, and that the overall project consists of multiple sites within the neighborhood and multiple types of projects.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2014, 4:36 PM

Clearfield moves forward with $120M project near FrontRunner station
Dana Rimington, Standard-Examiner correspondent

http://www.standard.net/stories/2014...runner-station

CLEARFIELD -- Moving forward with the Clearfield Station project, a $120 million mixed-use development just east of the FrontRunner station, all hinged on Davis School District agreeing to get into the mix as a partner.

At the recent school board meeting in Farmington, a motion to enter into a resolution between Davis School District and Clearfield Community Development and Renewal Agency passed with a 6 to 1 vote. Just two weeks prior to the vote, it wasn't looking like the board would agree to the partnership, citing concerns over the district's limited budget.

Clearfield City and Davis County had already approved interlocal agreements with the renewal agency in previous months, with the school district being the last piece of the equation before the project could move forward.

The board's concerns at a board workshop earlier in January were met with a plea from former Clearfield Mayor Don Wood.

"We have been working on this project for 10 years, and this is our third developer while the land sits in its current deteriorating state," said Wood. "It's imperative we have sufficient funding for this project. For 10 years you have forfeited every dime of tax dollars that property could have developed."

Jason Burningham, consultant with the development agency, expressed concern if the board didn't agree to the interlocal agreement, saying the project would not be able to move forward without the contributed funds from the district.

The 126-acre project is slated to go in at 1150 S. State St. in Clearfield, which includes 70 acres of currently vacant land next to the Clearfield FrontRunner station and another 56 acres just east of the Freeport Center. The plan is to convert the unused property into fully taxable property that tax entities can benefit from, which includes the school district.

Since Utah Transit Agency owns part of the land, UTA's vested interest in the project involves promoting ridership on FrontRunner, through means of additional jobs in the area and multifamily housing units close to the station. Originally UTA wanted 3,000 apartment units built, which Clearfield immediately vetoed. Eventually, the two entities were able to come to a compromise with 550 units.

The project expects nearly 1,600 jobs to be created, many of them in the technology sector, and 900 of them expected to be new to Davis County, according to Burningham.

As part of the plans, a certain portion of the acreage needs to be developed as community development. Burningham said the project is looking at the possibility of a charter school, though the space could be used as a library, ball field, or other school facility.

Before giving his consent to the agreement, board member David Lovato said, "This is a solid project and good for north Davis County, and in the long run, will benefit Davis School District."

Old Posted Jan 28, 2014, 4:58 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

While I am glad to see development occurring around another Front Runner Station I have two concerns.

One: that 550 residential units is no even close to enough to make it very viable as a TOD. UTA wanted 3,000 and Clearfield approved 550, it seems as if maybe there could have been a higher middle ground settled upon, at least a 1,000 maybe would be better.

Two: It will end up being a Transit Adjacent Development like Farmington Station rather than a true TOD that interacts with the actual Front Runner Station.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2014, 10:25 PM

Few shots of Ogden for you all.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2014, 11:48 PM
Bring out the cranes...

Downtown Ogden has a true potential of being a true city with a true downtown with a major skyline. For awhile downtown had some good developments going on, but since then it's been kind of quiet up North. I wish we could see more midrise-highrises going up in that area. The new IRS ( I believe ) building made somewhat of a impact to the group of buildings from that first photo.
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted Mar 17, 2014, 4:32 AM

Cool pictures! I agree with you, Projects. Much good has happened in Ogden these last few years, but I feel like it's still waiting for it's real renaissance.... But it's coming.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2014, 8:31 PM

Thanks for the photos! I love when Ogden gets a little love. And I agree, great potential for a real downtown.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2014, 12:42 AM

Thanks for the photos, SLCPA!! Great pics! I agree with all, I think Ogden is a great little city that hasn't met it's potential yet, but is well on the way!

Old Posted Apr 27, 2014, 10:20 PM

LDS Temple April 12-17, 2014 @ http://www.ldschurchtemples.com/ogden/construction/

http://www.ldschurchtemples.com

Photo Courtesy of Bryson McFarlane

Following Photos Courtesy of Jeff Jameshttp://www.ldschurchtemples.com/ogden/construction/

Courtesy of the webcam, captured by Brian Olson

Old Posted Apr 28, 2014, 7:15 PM

More stores coming up to Station Park. I still need to get up there to check it out, it definitely seems like a good development

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/money/5...-grow.html.csp

Old Posted Jun 1, 2014, 6:12 PM

New science building for Weber State

Old Posted Jun 1, 2014, 6:19 PM

New basketball facility for Utah State

Was the Cache Valley Thread deleted? I wanted to post this in that thread.

http://www.vcbo.com/news.html

Old Posted Jun 1, 2014, 6:35 PM

Weber State Residential Life Center

Not sure how new this one is either.
http://www.mhtn.com/work/highered/det_hed_01.html

Old Posted Jun 2, 2014, 1:45 AM

New renderings for Summit Village at Powder Mountain

Wow. Not sure how this is animated. It's a .gif file.

Here are more renderings.

The resort is being designed by a Portland architecture/design firm called Skylab.
http://skylabarchitecture.com/work/s...illage/#slide1

Last edited by Orlando; Jun 2, 2014 at 7:13 PM.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2014, 11:16 AM

Cool designs, watching that pic is making me want to put a coat on. Looks like the resorts of Wolf Mountain and Powder Mountain are in for some pretty big expansion over the next few years. Here's a recent article out in the last few days about the new "Summit Powder Mountain."

Good to see Powder Mountain getting some much needed attention. The snow there is incredible, and after all, it is actually the largest skiable acreage resort in Utah at over 5000 acres. Just needs a little push in the right direction to really flush out it's incredible potential. Of course, this is purely subjective on my part as there are some who would prefer to see the area remain untouched. Personally, I think leaving it undeveloped is asking a bit much when it's adj. to a metro that will soon climb to over 3 million people and then beyond that. Time to find a few areas outside the Wasatch Front for that more rustic, undeveloped flavor. Maybe, like the old ski areas around Mt. Holly.

Summit announces Powder Mountain village design plans

Fox 13 News: May 30, 2014, by Ben Winslow

http://fox13now.com/2014/05/30/summi...-design-plans/

EDEN, Utah — The new owners of Powder Mountain ski resort have announced detailed plans for their development on the mountain.

“Summit Powder Mountain” launched a website on Friday showing a development of more than 500 home sites with access to the ski resort, as well as a “village core.”

Much of the development appears to be centered around Hidden Lake, including “mountain homesites” known as “The Ridge,” that each sit on a half-acre of land.

Much of the development appears to be centered around Hidden Lake, including “mountain homesites” known as “The Ridge,” that each sit on a half-acre of land.

Summit Powder Mountain is also constructing a “village core” that it says will include restaurants and shops. “The Village” will also play a part in the Summit Series, a gathering of entrepreneurs, artists, tech startups, non-profits and others in annual events.

The development plans on the south side of the mountain match what Summit founder Elliot Bisnow detailed to FOX 13 in an interview last year. In a “crowdsourcing effort,” Summit purchased Powder Mountain — affectionately known as “Pow Mow” — which had been the subject of controversy over previous development plans (which included death threats).

Some residents in Eden, a tiny town in the Ogden Valley, have regarded Summit’s development plans with suspicion. Others have heaped praise on them for what they are planning to accomplish.

Summit said it has done more outreach with locals to keep them appraised of their plans, which include modernizing ski lifts and expansion of ski runs at Pow Mow. The group said it recently installed a cell phone tower on the top of a ski lift to improve communication and safety.

Ski Related: Ski Utah president speaks about ONE Wasatch concept

A new plan by Ski Utah and seven resort managers could help bring all the Wasatch mountain resorts together.

Nathan Rafferty, the president of Ski Utah, speaks about what is planned with Kelly Chapman.

Video Interview: http://fox13now.com/2014/03/19/ski-u...satch-concept/

Last edited by delts145; Jun 2, 2014 at 12:24 PM.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2014, 3:34 PM

Looks like they're far enough along now on the LDS Temple and grounds that they're putting in the sod and landscaping. I love old clocks like that in the first pic. I wonder if it's a replica or an old original.

Taken May 22, 2014 By Jeff James @ http://www.ldschurchtemples.com

This fountain and plaza is going to make for a beautiful addition to Downtown Ogden and Washington Blvd. when completed.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2014, 7:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
Cool designs, watching that pic is making me want to put a coat on. Looks like the resorts of Wolf Mountain and Powder Mountain are in for some pretty big expansion over the next few years. Here's a recent article out in the last few days about the new "Summit Powder Mountain."

Good to see Powder Mountain getting some much needed attention. The snow there is incredible, and after all, it is actually the largest skiable acreage resort in Utah at over 5000 acres. Just needs a little push in the right direction to really flush out it's incredible potential. Of course, this is purely subjective on my part as there are some who would prefer to see the area remain untouched. Personally, I think leaving it undeveloped is asking a bit much when it's adj. to a metro that will soon climb to over 3 million people and then beyond that. Time to find a few areas outside the Wasatch Front for that more rustic, undeveloped flavor. Maybe, like the old ski areas around Mt. Holly.

Summit announces Powder Mountain village design plans

Fox 13 News: May 30, 2014, by Ben Winslow

http://fox13now.com/2014/05/30/summi...-design-plans/

Never mind. I see it. The Skylodge area is at the top of existing Powder Mountain, and they are expanding on the south backside of Powder Mountain. I'ld like to ski that place once it gets a few more lifts. I like how open it is.

EDEN, Utah — The new owners of Powder Mountain ski resort have announced detailed plans for their development on the mountain.

“Summit Powder Mountain” launched a website on Friday showing a development of more than 500 home sites with access to the ski resort, as well as a “village core.”

Summit Powder Mountain is also constructing a “village core” that it says will include restaurants and shops. “The Village” will also play a part in the Summit Series, a gathering of entrepreneurs, artists, tech startups, non-profits and others in annual events.

The development plans on the south side of the mountain match what Summit founder Elliot Bisnow detailed to FOX 13 in an interview last year. In a “crowdsourcing effort,” Summit purchased Powder Mountain — affectionately known as “Pow Mow” — which had been the subject of controversy over previous development plans (which included death threats).

Some residents in Eden, a tiny town in the Ogden Valley, have regarded Summit’s development plans with suspicion. Others have heaped praise on them for what they are planning to accomplish.

Summit said it has done more outreach with locals to keep them appraised of their plans, which include modernizing ski lifts and expansion of ski runs at Pow Mow. The group said it recently installed a cell phone tower on the top of a ski lift to improve communication and safety.

Ski Related: Ski Utah president speaks about ONE Wasatch concept

A new plan by Ski Utah and seven resort managers could help bring all the Wasatch mountain resorts together.

Nathan Rafferty, the president of Ski Utah, speaks about what is planned with Kelly Chapman.

Video Interview: http://fox13now.com/2014/03/19/ski-u...satch-concept/

It's difficult to tell where there new development is in relation to the existing Powder Mountain resort.

http://powdermountain.com/en/the-mountains/trail-map/

Old Posted Jun 20, 2014, 4:11 PM

http://davisclipper.com/view/full_st...es_left_column

Library ground breaking is Monday

Quote:
KAYSVILLE — Ground breaking for the long-awaited Kaysville Branch Library is set for Monday, June 23 at 8 a.m. at 215 N. 100 East in Kaysville.

The branch will be built adjacent to Heritage Park, which has been developed on the old Clover Club potato chip plant.

Ascent Construction of Centerville has been selected to construct the branch. Opening is anticipated for mid to late 2015, library officials said.

The new branch will include 15,000 square feet, providing far more space than the current 6,000 square foot facility that originally was the Kaysville City Library.

Other features of the new building include increased public internet access, an auditorium that can seat about 180 people; conference rooms; a collection of items starting at 80,000 and space to house 100,000 items.

The library has been in the planning for several years. City officials have worked closely with their county counterparts in planning for the new facility.

Read more: The Davis Clipper - Library ground breaking is Monday

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West