HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Oct 27, 2013, 7:48 PM

The retail spaces on B1 & B2 are also under construction for tower 2 & 3?

Old Posted Oct 27, 2013, 8:22 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by franktko View Post
The retail spaces on B1 & B2 are also under construction for tower 2 & 3?
Retail opens in 2015. Tower 2 at a later date.

http://wtc.westfield.com/videos/west...e-center-video

Video Link

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2013, 8:28 PM

I have no idea how to properly post articles but I found this on Yahoo.

http://news.yahoo.com/banksy-nytimes...162728695.html

Ouch.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2013, 8:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post

Ouch.
"One World Trade declares the glory days of New York are gone."

He must have missed the four decades of mediocrity starting in the 1950's.

That's a silly statement. 1 WTC isn't an outlandish building, but I think it's quite lovely especially when viewed as part of the WTC campus as a whole. Furthermore, I think it's tough to say One 57, BofA, Spruce Street, Leonard street, 111w 57th street, 432 park, 2WTC (when it's completed, god willing), Hudson Yards north and south, etc are without "glory". New York has decades worth of turd brown brick buildings with zero imagination put into them and he is complaining about 1WTC?

Old Posted Oct 27, 2013, 9:21 PM

Location: The absolute western-most point of the Philadelphia urbanized area. :)
You know, as much as I love (and MISS) the Twin Towers, I'd have to say that this complex as a whole is a massive upgrade over the old Twin Towers complex. I honestly have to say that.

I just hope that somebody can commit to 2 WTC. That tower will bring the whole complex together; it will have that look and feel as something complete...

Old Posted Oct 27, 2013, 9:31 PM
weidncol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonboy1983 View Post
You know, as much as I love (and MISS) the Twin Towers, I'd have to say that this complex as a whole is a massive upgrade over the old Twin Towers complex. I honestly have to say that.

I just hope that somebody can commit to 2 WTC. That tower will bring the whole complex together; it will have that look and feel as something complete...
I feel that 2WTC is one of the better looking towers on the site. Too bad it will be the last one to get built... (Unless they are still doing 5WTC)

Old Posted Oct 27, 2013, 10:11 PM

My latest video with from this afternoon,

By QUEENSNY121

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpnPC...p_YrtzeCuNTf5A

Old Posted Oct 28, 2013, 2:38 AM

Quote:

Ouch.
Sorry but I disagree with Bansky, One World Trade Center is still in my eyes a damn good building and replaces the twin Towers perfectly.
Also Why does everyone just look at 1WTC and go "Oh we only built one" It's like yeah did you look at the other 3 towers they're building?

Old Posted Oct 28, 2013, 6:27 AM

Quote:

Ouch.
I know where Banksy's coming from... But I have to disagree with him.

I've posed the question: has 9/11 altered our architectural boldness? And the answer is Yes. The WTC was a world wonder.

He's showing frustration at our lack of boldness... But-- if we built, for instance, something AS bold-- say, a safer Twin Towers along with the memorial... the way the world is now... What do you think would happen? It would be a magnet for another attack.

The idea that we had to lower our sights, "play it safe," with the new WTC site is sad, but... that's the truth.

The answer-- what Banksy wants-- is another Twin Towers. Maybe not EXACTLY the same, but... something matching that level of vision/audacity/boldness.

Ideally, what I personally thought would've been amazing was to build two "Freedom Towers," right next to the towers' footprints. I knew it was unlikely, but, I thought it would be a beautiful tribute and restore the iconic skyline.

The new WTC *IS* beautiful as it is-- and I'm very excited when it will all be completed. I think it's exactly what it needs to be at this time. What Banksy can't come to terms with is, we can't do that right now... I wish we could, but we can't build like that at this time.

We can build big again, but the world isn't ready for it. It's still too soon. But one day, we'll be able to build with that vision again. It just stinks to wait.

Here's a short Tumblr blog I wrote on the topic 4 months ago.

Last edited by mrjoanofarc; Oct 29, 2013 at 8:51 PM.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2013, 7:42 AM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

The concourse reminds me of a corridor in an Imperial Star Destroyer. Oh, that's a good thing. lol

Old Posted Oct 28, 2013, 5:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjoanofarc View Post
I know where Banksy's coming from... But I have to disagree with him.

I've posed the question: has 9/11 altered our architectural boldness? And the answer is Yes. The WTC was a world wonder.

He's showing frustration at our lack of boldness... But-- if we built, for instance, something AS bold-- say, a safer Twin Towers along with the memorial... the way the world is now... What do you think would happen? It would be a magnet for another attack.

The idea that we had to lower our sights, "play it safe," with the new WTC site is sad, but... that's the truth.

The answer-- what Banksy wants-- is another Twin Towers. Maybe not EXACTLY the same, but... something matching that level of vision/audacity/boldness.

Ideally, what I personally thought would've been amazing was to build two "Freedom Towers," right next to the towers' footprints. I knew it was unlikely, but, I thought it would be a beautiful tribute and restore the iconic skyline.

The new WTC *IS* beautiful as it is-- and I'm very excited when it will all be completed. I think it's exactly what it needs to be at this time. What Banksy can't come to terms with is, we can't do that right now... I wish we could, but we can't build like that at this time.

We can build big again, but the world isn't ready for it. It's still too soon. But one day, we'll be able to build with that vision again. It just stinks to wait.

Here's a Tumblr blog I wrote on the topic.
agreed also.. but we didn't scale back anything! The new tower is a rock solid piece of steel and concrete! we built a tower with better materials than the old twins. Anyone criticizing this tower is a disgrace to society. The hard work, blood and sweat put into building this thing has to be appreciated! to bash this gorgeous tower is just sad. And if you have some sort of grudge b/c the spire was scaled down without the radome, as it seems the op-ed writer feels, then too bad. Most of us on the forum and those of us who live in the NY/NJ area love the tower and see it as a rising from ashes. Let the critics say what they want, but once towers 2 and 3 are built along with the opening of the transit hub in 2015-2016, the true vision will be seen.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2013, 5:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc guy View Post
sorry but i disagree with bansky, one world trade center is still in my eyes a damn good building and replaces the twin towers perfectly.
Also why does everyone just look at 1wtc and go "oh we only built one" it's like yeah did you look at the other 3 towers they're building?
amen.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2013, 5:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonboy1983 View Post

I agree also, the attack was tragic, but I feel as if it gave us a chance to re-build and make something more high tech. The new glass and steel technology used in new skyscrapers is way better than what the twins were made of. I was hurt a lot by the 9/11 attacks, just seeing the destruction and the aftermath, but in a way we can now build better and stronger towers in the area, as we see with the solid steel and concrete 1 WTC.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2013, 7:29 PM
Back to Basics

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepen915 View Post
agreed also.. but we didn't scale back anything! The new tower is a rock solid piece of steel and concrete! we built a tower with better materials than the old twins. Anyone criticizing this tower is a disgrace to society. The hard work, blood and sweat put into building this thing has to be appreciated! to bash this gorgeous tower is just sad. And if you have some sort of grudge b/c the spire was scaled down without the radome, as it seems the op-ed writer feels, then too bad. Most of us on the forum and those of us who live in the NY/NJ area love the tower and see it as a rising from ashes. Let the critics say what they want, but once towers 2 and 3 are built along with the opening of the transit hub in 2015-2016, the true vision will be seen.
Classic American Patriotism

"If this is what America gets then we love it!" (Even if it's crap and a cop-out). "And if you disagree then you're un-American." It's the standard "You're either with us or against us." mentality. No room for honest criticism or an open dialogue. No acceptance of a fair and balanced viewpoint. How very Republican of you.

And yes, the new WTC is scaled back from what it would have been if conceived in the 2000's. Bare with me on the explanation:

If they were building the World Trade Centre today, for the first time as if the original never existed and 9/11 also never happened, then to be as impressive and domineering as the original was to contemporary architecture and engineering circa 1966, today it would have to be on the scale of two Burj Khalifas only with comparable bulk as the Willis Tower.

When, what you got (and are getting when complete), is something that looks like it could be built today in ANY major World city. At the time, (c1960's-70's) only New York was big enough and bold enough to build the Twins and its surrounding complex. It shocked the world of architecture and made architects re-think what "big" was. The new complex is nice, however it fails to "shock" anyone. Nor will it cause architecture to re-think itself around the World.

That is what Banksy is implying. And from a World-view, he is correct.

You are allowed to like, love, respect this tower with all your being, but professing it is the equivalent or even surpasses the impact of what the original did, is delusional. The truth is a bitter pill for deluded patriots to swallow. So I assume you will most likely avoid this medicine and continue in your delusions. Good luck with that.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2013, 8:17 PM
Jeez Louise.

Quote:

Ouch.
While I do think One World Trade Center is a blatant ripoff of the NYSE Tower which was never built I have to respectfully disagree with some of his opinion of the tower. I did enjoy reading his opinion of it though. It could be worse (see original Freedom Tower design for details on worse). I originally hated the design of the building but like proverbial stockholm syndrome it 'grew on me' over time. Watching it grow in pictures and in person from a literal hole in the ground. I think it fits better in the skyline than the original towers did which I think is part of his criticism. The building blends too well to the buildings around it and doesn't make enough of a statement other than being insanely tall. Or that it just looks like 'that awkward really tall guy at a party' as Banksy put it. The original towers were hated for a couple decades after being built. I think this building will go through a similar awkward fitting in with some people especially lovers of the old towers.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2013, 9:36 PM
Fake News

Quote:

Ouch.
I take exception to the part where he says it looks like something they would build in Canada. I think it looks like something they would build in the former Soviet Union! Moreso just the iron toothpick on top.

Last edited by O-tacular; Oct 28, 2013 at 9:51 PM.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2013, 9:44 PM
Fake News

Quote:
I think that's a tad melodramatic. Contrary to your belief, there are plenty of people who see the newest 'design' changes as a serious compromise of the original vision. What it all boils down to in the end is saving a few million bucks for that real 'disgrace to society' Durst to line his greedy little pockets with. To me that is the true disgrace: that some avaricious little weasel is able to shit on the symbolism of the site of our early century's greatest terrorist disaster, and proclaim the site a 'memorial for the victims'. Now all I see is a memorial for greed and corruption and general incompetence.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2013, 9:52 PM
An Optimistic Realist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traynor View Post

If they were building the World Trade Centre today, for the first time as if the original never existed and 9/11 also never happened, then to be as impressive and domineering as the original was to contemporary architecture and engineering circa 1966, today it would have to be on the scale of two Burj Khalifas only with comparable bulk as the Willis Tower.

When, what you got (and are getting when complete), is something that looks like it could be built today in ANY major World city. At the time, (c1960's-70's) only New York was big enough and bold enough to build the Twins and its surrounding complex. It shocked the world of architecture and made architects re-think what "big" was. The new complex is nice, however it fails to "shock" anyone. Nor will it cause architecture to re-think itself around the World.

That is what Banksy is implying. And from a World-view, he is correct.

I agree to agree and disagree at the same time. Yes the WTC today would have been much bigger than what we really have, but you have to recognize the fact that we are in a different time period. New York is still big, but to be big now doesn't hold the same meaning anymore. We have to concentrate on other problems than to waste time building skyscrapers that will remain empty for most of their existence. The difference between the 1970s NYC era and this NYC era is 9/11. 9/11 changed a lot of things, and no matter how much we may want this new complex to make as much as a statement as its predecessor, it will not.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2013, 9:54 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
It looks like there will be an office connection at the B2 level...

http://www.panynj.gov/wtcprogress/index.html

Yes. However, the Freedom Tower won't have as much retail as the others.

Wow. To me this is the most amazing part of the rebuilt WTC site.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2013, 11:48 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
And if you have some sort of grudge b/c the spire was scaled down without the radome, as it seems the op-ed writer feels, then too bad. Most of us on the forum and those of us who live in the NY/NJ area love the tower
Nonsense. Most people in the area don't even know what the building looks like, those who I do point it out to aren't impressed. (You may be surprised at how many people want the Twin Towers back). Are we happy to get something back on the skyline? Yes. But that's a far cry from saying people are satisfied with what is built. Sure, the complex isn't complete, but saying most people love it is simply not true.

As far as Bansky's piece goes, it's just another opinion, from another person, so I don't see what the big deal is. It's as ridiculous to be offended by it as it is to be offended by any other opinion piece on architecture. Even the Times has an architecture critic. It's too bad the Times rejected the piece.

That being said, it's easy to say something "grander" should have been built - more than a decade removed from 9/11. Had we just been starting the discussion of what should be built now, perhaps we would have had something more impressive. As far as the glory days of New York being behind, well that's obviously not the case.

Meanwhile, there is other official business to finish...

http://www.suntimes.com/news/steinbe...ing-nears.html

Where will Willis Tower, One World Trade Center stand as vote on tallest building nears?

By NEIL STEINBERG
October 26, 2013

Quote:
.....the people who built the WTC have dubbed the 406-foot-tall mast they’ve bolted atop the building a “spire” — aka, an integral part of the building’s architecture that should count as the structure’s official height — and through a combination of politics and misplaced Sept. 11 pity might just pull it off, as the Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat ponders whether to accept the deception, which can be easily seen by just looking at the damn thing.

Among the charmed arguments that its builders have floated is the novel notion that since the building originally was designed with an actual spire, but alas, economics whittled it down to the needle of nothing actually atop the actual building in the actual world of the real, that means the design should somehow factor into the decision....

st_hart

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive