HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Oct 25, 2016, 9:03 PM
Surrounded by Nature

Reminder again: Trinity Place has its own thread...we keep heaping everything into this mega one.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...129548&page=54

Old Posted Oct 27, 2016, 12:52 AM

Old Posted Oct 27, 2016, 6:57 AM

The new design for the Lucas Museum of Narrative Art on Treasure Island was released to the Chronicle today. LA is vying for the museum as well.

www.sfchronicle.com

www.sfchronicle.com

www.sfchronicle.com

Quote:
The conceptual design shown to The Chronicle would be roughly 270,000 square feet. That’s larger than the recent addition to the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art and three times the size of what Lucas sought to build in the Presidio.

According to Don Bacigalupi, the museum’s president, the design work and search for approvals are being done simultaneously in Los Angeles and San Francisco. Within the next two to four months, Lucas and his team will decide which location offers the clearest path to starting construction in a year or so, with opening day three years later.
Article and Source

Last edited by 1977; Oct 28, 2016 at 2:42 AM. Reason: Adding rendering

Old Posted Oct 27, 2016, 8:03 AM

Okay everyone, I need as many of you as possible - maybe hundreds. His mind is very strong. Gesture with your hands with great focus towards Lucas: "You will choose to build your Lucas Museum of Narrative Art in San Francisco."

Old Posted Oct 27, 2016, 3:48 PM

An expensive museum with valuable art built on an artificial island on the most active seismic zone on the planet and projected sea levels to rise within 1-2 decades and a Bay Bridge past capacity and no public transit access other than a Ferry ride what could go wrong?!?

I'd love it to come to SF but the development of Treasure Island is one of the biggest Fairy Tales in modern development history.

I wish there were a way to put it downtown or Mission Bay. It looks amazing. But the thought of Treasure Island makes it a let down, and I think all of its negatives would make LA a more attractive option for Lucas. There really are no other options?

Last edited by mt_climber13; Oct 27, 2016 at 4:35 PM.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2016, 5:55 PM

^^^Well I guess they shouldn't build or have built anything beyond the original shoreline of San Francisco, plus there isn't a #25 MUNI bus line that goes from Transbay Terminal to Treasure Island either.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2016, 7:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakamesalad View Post
An expensive museum with valuable art built on an artificial island on the most active seismic zone on the planet and projected sea levels to rise within 1-2 decades and a Bay Bridge past capacity and no public transit access other than a Ferry ride what could go wrong?!?

I'd love it to come to SF but the development of Treasure Island is one of the biggest Fairy Tales in modern development history.

I wish there were a way to put it downtown or Mission Bay. It looks amazing. But the thought of Treasure Island makes it a let down, and I think all of its negatives would make LA a more attractive option for Lucas. There really are no other options?
So SF's redevelopment of TI with thousands of housing units and large midrise/highrise buildings is doable...but a museum is not? Also, TI has bus service too which would obviously be increased.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2016, 7:49 PM
Get me out of here

10/27/16

Old Posted Oct 27, 2016, 7:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakamesalad View Post

Most active seismic zone on the planet? Hyperbole much?

Old Posted Oct 27, 2016, 8:00 PM

As an Angeleno I think TI would be the best fit, a much nicer backdrop and impressive location.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2016, 8:49 PM

^^^Hmmm...you got a point there, plus it is much closer to George Lucas himself.

It looks like the ground would be bermed up to form a new hill over which the museum would stand. The museum rendering reminds me of some sort of giant animal skull, but it may be intended to look more like something from Star Wars.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2016, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFView View Post
^^^Hmmm...you got a point there, plus it is much closer to George Lucas himself.

The museum rendering reminds me of some sort of giant animal skull, but it may be intended to look more like something from Star Wars.
Now that you mention it, it does kinda of look like a whale skull.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2016, 12:21 AM

Yeah I'm not sure how Los Angeles is going to compete with the T.I. site -with it's sweeping unobstructed views of the city and possibly GGB. The only thing the LA site has gong for it is that George Lucas went to USC and it seems that the older you get the more important it is that your legacy is somehow connected to the university you attended. From the LA forum it sounds like LA might actually have been chosen and that it was in part due to Lucas' past experiences with S.F. Then again LucasFlims is located in the Presidio so who knows?

Last edited by ozone; Oct 28, 2016 at 12:35 AM.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2016, 1:36 AM

Regarding the Lucas Museum, I was going to suggest crocodile skull.

I'm not sure if TI "fairly tale" refers to it never getting built or never reaching the envisioned potential, but I think both will eventually happen. As far as construction goes, the first large earthwork and utility package is currently out for a December 1st bid. Though I haven't seen the plans, the forthcoming projects should generate enough dirt to raise significant portions of the island a few feet or to build berms around the perimeter.

Oh, and here's a random skyline pic:

DSC_1767 by hongzhe325074, on Flickr

Old Posted Oct 28, 2016, 8:11 AM
dazzle me

yeah, that museum building is beautiful, but it won't happen here. the EIR will have so many estimations and caveats that some group will challenge it and it'll be delayed indefinitely. lucas' lawyers/architects must have made that clear to him and he's not ruled us out yet, so that's something. but it won't take long for the machine here to get going and for it to become clear to him/his team that LA is the option if he wants to keep his timeline. it was worth it for him to test the waters, since he has such strong support among the political class. but the reality of how much we've empowered obstructionists over the past however many decades will become pretty clear to him once he starts moving on this in earnest.

literally, for it to be built within 4 years here, it'd take an intervention of the leg and governor, which won't happen because LA is the other city in the mix.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2016, 2:16 AM

10/30/16

Old Posted Oct 31, 2016, 9:24 AM
heavy user of walkability

the feel of the walk down Beale St is being dramatically transformed...

Old Posted Oct 31, 2016, 4:27 PM

Laguna

walking up Laguna St, looks like work on the last remaining original building at 55 Laguna is close to wrapping up, and we will get the sidewalk back soon

further up the street, a little section of wall next to the grand steps which had been boarded off has been uncovered to reveal a stone sitting area

continuing up the street, the project at Hayes

the sort of perplexing one at Fulton, where work seems to be stuttering

and down Fulton at Gough, the slanted, diffuse fall light shows off this recently completed project

Old Posted Oct 31, 2016, 4:38 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

Fulton and Gough looks great in that light!
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Oct 31, 2016, 5:09 PM

jumping back downtown, the passage between Lumina and Bay Area Metro Center is getting worked on. can't quite remember, I think there is supposed to be public retail space(s) along here?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations