HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Dec 3, 2017, 1:51 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Credit: Tectonic

Old Posted Dec 28, 2017, 10:16 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Old Posted Jan 19, 2018, 12:22 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Pic by me. Taken today.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2018, 5:45 PM

These are massive on the LIC skyline. I just wish they were prettier.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2018, 6:01 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

^ yeah for sure. ironically they still make for an impressive entrance into lic from the 7 train. a very different one from the graffitied 5pointz warehouse to be sure, but still quite a sight in its own slickered up sterile way.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2018, 6:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdawg View Post
These are massive on the LIC skyline. I just wish they were prettier.
Agreed. While 5Pointz may not have been “attractive” in the conventional sense (by virtue of the fact that the graffiti-covered look just isn’t for everyone, lol), there was definitely a lot more going on there visually than there is with these towers. One thing I do like about them though is that they’re using a warm-colored stone/precast for the facade vs. the cool blue/green glass that a lot of other developments in LIC tend to go for. Having a variety of facade materials is extremely important in a neighborhood where a lot of development is happening at the same time, otherwise it all starts to look somewhat same-y and forbidding.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2018, 12:10 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Facade work begins at 22-24 Jackson Avenue, former home of 5Pointz

Quote:
The last time we stopped by at 22-24 Jackson Avenue in September, construction at the main tower was at approximately 40 stories at the former home of 5 Pointz. When we stopped by last week, we saw that the building is nearly topped out and facade work has started, as seen below. In the rear portion of the building, construction is now roughly 40 stories, as seen in the second photo.

The Department of Buildings approved permits for the site on May 6, for a 48 story build with 977,086 square feet of residential space and 39,765 feet of commercial space for a total FAR of 8.00. According to the on site rendering, work will complete on the site in winter, 2018.

=========================
LICCourt

Old Posted Feb 10, 2018, 2:56 AM
New Yorker for life

https://therealdeal.com/2018/02/09/w...se-of-5pointz/

Wolkoff lands $300M loan for the second phase of 5Pointz
Developer is still finishing work on 1,115 units at 22-44 Jackson Avenue

By Will Parker
February 09, 2018

Quote:
It’s not entirely clear what Wolkoff is planning for phase two, but a source familiar with the loan said the developer was less than 50 percent leveraged for the new phase. New building permits have not been filed.

The towers under construction at 22-44 Jackson Avenue will reach heights of 47 stories and 41 stories each. One of the those towers topped out last fall.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2018, 11:37 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Judge awards $6.7 million to graffiti artists whose work was destroyed to build condos

Quote:
A federal judge has awarded $6.7 million to 21 graffiti artists after their works were destroyed in 2013 at the 5Pointz complex in Queens, New York, to make room for luxury condominiums.

US District Court Judge Frederic Block made the award Monday after a jury ruled in November that Jerry Wolkoff, the owner of the buildings that comprised 5Pointz, violated the artists' rights under federal law.

Eric Baum, an attorney for the artists, told CNN that the decision is "a triumph for artists all around the country."

"The cultural significance of 5Pointz and the value of the aerosol art created by the 21 plaintiffs has been recognized as fine art. It is now clear that the federal law protects the dignity of the artist and ensures that their artwork is treated respectfully," Baum said.
========================
https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/13/us/5p...rnd/index.html

Old Posted Feb 13, 2018, 11:52 PM
Show me the blueprints

^Listen I used to write a bit in my younger days, but this is WTF

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 3:13 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
^Listen I used to write a bit in my younger days, but this is WTF
If its in America, it just might not make sense.

I think its rubbish.

Lets say I buy a property in the inner city, a former crack house, with aroma of wet lingering in the air. Full of graffiti, and loose cigarettes.

I decide to tear it down, and then have to pay out money to compensate the graffiti artists. Its silly.

Property was decided to be changed by the owners, and thus, they do what they want. If the city really wanted to save 5pointz, it would have done so.

Its the constant battle. The NIMBYS failed in this case, and thus, if they wanted to protect it, logic tells us that they should have a "win" to do so.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 3:29 AM

If it is divided equally among the artists that is $319,047.62. Wow that is a lot of money for vandalizing someone else's property. If the building had been their own and it was accidentally destroyed that is a different story, but this was a building they were told was going to come down one day.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 1:13 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

On the right (2 tower development; Phase I). Another Phase in the works for 5pointz, so more towers most likely.

r_180216242_beat0011_a by Mitch Waxman, on Flickr

Old Posted Feb 22, 2018, 2:25 PM

More and more every day... nice towers.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2018, 11:35 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Pics by me. All taken today.

IMG_0143 by Christopher Estevez, on Flickr

IMG_0142 by Christopher Estevez, on Flickr

IMG_0137 by Christopher Estevez, on Flickr

Old Posted Mar 4, 2018, 4:56 AM
New Yorker for life

On the LIC skyline...

PIPIQ Lai

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2018, 2:02 AM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Mar 17, 2018, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
If its in America, it just might not make sense.

I think its rubbish.

Lets say I buy a property in the inner city, a former crack house, with aroma of wet lingering in the air. Full of graffiti, and loose cigarettes.

I decide to tear it down, and then have to pay out money to compensate the graffiti artists. Its silly.

Property was decided to be changed by the owners, and thus, they do what they want. If the city really wanted to save 5pointz, it would have done so.

Its the constant battle. The NIMBYS failed in this case, and thus, if they wanted to protect it, logic tells us that they should have a "win" to do so.
Except it was a LEGAL graffiti spot, something America has less of than other countries. So it's more like you bought a property and tore down an art museum while also destroying all of the contents of the museum.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2018, 12:12 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

^^^^^

"Mr Gorbachev tear down that wall!".

Vandalism is not a reason to save a structure, ESPECIALLY when they don't own it. Now if they own it, they could whatever they want. They could piss on the walls and add a yellow facade.

In NYC, there are plenty of spots that allow graffiti on the walls. It could be in the form of an advertisement or a form of public art, but in the end, the owner of the building has the rights. So long as what they are doing abides by the codes and regs of that parcel, the owner is perfectly in the right. In the case of 5 Pointz, they were justified.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2018, 1:25 PM

There's a new graffiti hot spot not far from me in Astoria that's growing like weeds. I've even seen walking tours of the area, which made me chuckle. Anyway, it's centered around Welling Court.
https://wellingcourtmuralproject.com

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive