HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 21, 2016, 2:20 PM

Isn't that where the tower crane base is? Looks like they're backfilling this morning, similar to what they did with the other crane.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2016, 2:24 PM

Both cranes were spinning last night during the storm peak. It was weird especially with the sky lit up by the crane lights. I was watching them to see if they would be hit by lightning. I once saw the golden boy hit by a bolt.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2016, 6:07 PM

Judging by the two storey high walls PCL is building around the cranes, they are attempting to prevent anyone from climbing them. Which seem to be all the rage lately.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2016, 9:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertocarlos View Post
Both cranes were spinning last night during the storm peak. It was weird especially with the sky lit up by the crane lights. I was watching them to see if they would be hit by lightning. I once saw the golden boy hit by a bolt.
the operators leave them to free wheel when not in use to keep the the gear brakes from jamming in high winds.

I remember working evenings and midnight's over the years and watching high winds move the cranes around at MTS Center, Hydro building and Glass House.

They act like a high priced weather vane without the rooster on top.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2016, 9:38 PM

^ I was driving down Notre Dame at the height of the storm last night, hoping that the Manitoba Clinic crane wouldn't topple over onto my car while I was stopped at a light. I can't imagine what it must be like up there in those conditions!

Old Posted Jul 21, 2016, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
the operators leave them to free wheel when not in use to keep the the gear brakes from jamming in high winds.

I remember working evenings and midnight's over the years and watching high winds move the cranes around at MTS Center, Hydro building and Glass House.

They act like a high priced weather vane without the rooster on top.
Maybe the warm south wind hit a cold north wind and the cranes spun crazily.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2016, 1:52 AM
BANNED

Old Posted Jul 22, 2016, 1:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ I was driving down Notre Dame at the height of the storm last night, hoping that the Manitoba Clinic crane wouldn't topple over onto my car while I was stopped at a light. I can't imagine what it must be like up there in those conditions!
if it's to windy they stop work for the day. If you look closely at the top of the cab area, there is an anemometer (the 3 or 4 cup thing that measures wind speed) that is connected to the hoisting safety computer.

They don't want to do picks when its too windy as the load will swing wildly and not go where they want it to.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2016, 12:55 PM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertocarlos View Post
A short Video would have been nice?

But instead, here's a video of another site, in another city...Enjoy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7TLOXS8cCA

Last edited by LilZebra; Jul 22, 2016 at 2:24 PM.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2016, 7:50 PM

Should be hearing from TNSE/Longboat soon in regards to the Sutton Place Hotel and Residences if Ludlow keeps to his previous media release. Hoping to here thier decision on the addition of floors/or a 5th tower. I'm still in the addition of floors to tower 1 camp.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2016, 5:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyro View Post
Should be hearing from TNSE/Longboat soon in regards to the Sutton Place Hotel and Residences if Ludlow keeps to his previous media release. Hoping to here thier decision on the addition of floors/or a 5th tower. I'm still in the addition of floors to tower 1 camp.
If they can pull it off, great.....

But that's a LOT of added supply to the marketplace... not sure why they'd risk that... Filling what they have currently will be a mammoth's task.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2016, 7:11 PM
BANNED

I am rather surprised by the demand. Still, I am all for an increase in height. The footprint of the area is not so large, so it is not as if there will be a massive dead zone.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2016, 11:41 PM
Back from the dead

I'm also surprised about the demand. On the other hand, Winnipeg doesn't really have a lot of modern Class A space. It may well be under-served.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2016, 1:39 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

theres demand been here just a matter of starting the damned thing to get the woodwork to come out... the weatboard building is 95% leased now that sure didnt take long...

didnt take long to fill the vacancies hydro created when they moved into their tower

Old Posted Aug 5, 2016, 2:42 AM
BANNED

The interior is pretty nice, especially the high ceilings and mushroom columns.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2016, 3:20 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban recluse View Post
The interior is pretty nice, especially the high ceilings and mushroom columns.
?

Old Posted Aug 5, 2016, 3:28 AM
BANNED

423 Main (CWB) off topic, but...

Old Posted Aug 5, 2016, 3:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf13 View Post
If they can pull it off, great.....

But that's a LOT of added supply to the marketplace... not sure why they'd risk that... Filling what they have currently will be a mammoth's task.
They feel taking the risk could be profitable for them, regardless if there is an overabundance of space on the market. I really don't think they're to worried about what happens to other properties and the tenants that may vacate them and head over to the space they make available.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2016, 4:48 PM

^agreed, it will eventually balance itself out.

In slightly related news, saw some picture of the inside of Edmonton's new arena and the new plaza and complex around it... holy hell, it's incredible. Won't be surprised if it ends up the nicest arena in North America. It's massive, great big concourses and sweeping entrances. It's really remarkable. I hope with TNS and maybe some rejigging with cityplace TN/MPI find a way to make that whole corner feel like an extension of MTS Centre, as there really isn't any nice open gathering space in the arena other than the suite-level atrium landing. And that's a stretch. But bring some design elements to link the inside of MTS and the TNS Plaza together... that would be great.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2016, 5:02 PM

^ I remember being a bit disappointed when detailed renderings of MTS Centre came out... it was around then (early 00s) that we were starting to see some of the more grandiose arena designs, but it was clear that TNSE ordered up an arena that had one foot in the modest AHL arena world, and one foot in the fancier NHL arena world. I guess something like TNS is meant to beef up the "arena district", such as it is.

Although I suppose in some ways the restraint demonstrated here is what happens is when you have a rink built largely with private dollars and only minor public contributions, vs. Edmonton where Daryl Katz pointed a gun at the team's head and threatened to pull the trigger unless the city gave him a blank cheque... which they ended up doing.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan