HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jul 24, 2016, 5:29 PM
IWant2BeInSTL

Huh. Six Flags St. Louis used to be called Six Flags over Mid America. I didn't realize they changed the name. Wonder why...

Old Posted Jul 25, 2016, 6:52 AM
She needs her space

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave8721 View Post
Disney World is less than 2 hours from the northern parts of Miami's metro but the northern part of Miami's metro is 2 hours from the southern part of the metro (Homestead to Jupiter is a nice 122 mile drive in one Metro). From Miami itself to Disney is about 3.5 hours, a little less if you make no stops and push 100 mph through the nothingness between Fort Peirce and Orlando.

Its impossible for any theme park to really thrive in the shadow of the Disney/Universal/Legoland/Busch Gardens...Central Florida monstrosity but a 20th Century Fox theme park is planned next door to Zoo Miami.
FL has an interesting dynamic in this regard, but as a relative coaster enthusiast, I find the parks lacking on "big stuff". The theming and exhilaration found as a little kid from the Incredible Hulk had me loving that ride from the month IoA opened (my first time going) til about the 9th grade of high school. Went back about 2-3 years ago, and found the ride had aged, and not so well, and moreover perhaps as an indication of the popularity of FL theme parks and lawsuits over time and increased security concerns, what I knew of Fast Pass was no longer, the park felt way too crowded, you really can only ride select rides once in a day and that's all you get, and at one point a kid pulled out a GoPro on the Hulk as we were getting set to crawl up the launch tunnel and they shut the ride down and ordered everyone off. I almost didn't get to ride my old haunt at all, but I acted like a child and waited for them to reopen the ride, and I ran in, waited in line again, forcing my waiting family to continue waiting, and I did ride it. Glad they are redoing it, I'm anxious to see what they do. Hopefully they make it bigger and faster and smooth out the steel once more. The free fall launches at Dr Doom seemed big as a small child, but pushing 30, at only 150 ft, seem like carnival rides now. It's their queue theming that gets you, but they've slacked on keeping the theming together for these rides.

Busch Gardens seems to have really invested in new and interesting rides. That was my first roller coaster theme park and always holds a special place in my heart. Multiple smaller coasters there when I first went in 1999 (I believe that was the year) are now replaced with bigger, newer, faster. But the really solid legacies (B&W sit downs) are not going anywhere.

I'd say the Bay Area is not lacking in theme parks, but it IS lacking in quality theme parks. I would never expect a Six Flags to invest in non-ride infrastructure, programming, and theming to the extent the Disney, Universal, SeaWorld (Orlando at least), and Busch parks do, but the closest thing the Bay Area has to a quality park is north of LA in Six Flags Magic Mtn, which serves as the or maybe one of two or three at most "flagship" Six Flags parks. On occasion I buy a Six Flags annual pass for the next year for the price of admission once (obviously if you think you're going to go to a Six Flags theme park, you should do that). But I have to be dragged to Great America (not Six Flags but at one point might have been) or to Discovery Kingdom (was once a Marineland and that aquatic animal zoo aspect and infrastructure is still there with NO investment since the early 2000s or 90s, quite sad and offensive).

True to the nature of the Bay Area, we are psycho about heights, and Discovery Kingdom has a community imposed 150 ft height limit. The effect that has on rides is clear and obvious. One launch ride that is normally ~200 ft at other parks and goes straight up on both ends is built to accommodate this height limit here. It looks ridiculous. None of the rides are good IMO except for the old legacy B&M floor less coaster called Medusa that maximizes height potential and has a decent first drop.

Thus I would say Bay Area doesn't count as a metro in close proximity to "major" coasters. Doesn't count if they were "major" for 1990s. As evidenced by the rides at Magic Mountain, "major" generally requires significant height in the 200-400+ ft range.

Jacksonville FL is to Orlando what Sacramento is to San Francisco. In fact, growing up there, I had a couple of Disney executives as neighbors. They didn't need to be on site, even if they headed up Imagineering or something like that. Sally Industries is a or maybe the lead in robotics for theme park theming and it is right near downtown Jacksonville.

Also, that same dynamic exists with the airports. It is cheaper for me (often) to fly into OIA and rent a car to go up to Jax. And it's a 2 hour process at worst, so it's actually quite convenient and because of lower costs and more destinations, a lot of would be JIA flyers use Orlando's airport. The theme parks were just as convenient growing up.

Sorry for lengthy reply. I don't post much anymore but get a lot out when I do.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2016, 3:36 PM

I'm surprised no mention of NYC on this list? I guess Coney Island has some roller coasters but I think of that more as a group of carnival operators rather than a cohesive amusement park. Otherwise, the next closest park would I guess be Six Flags: Great Adventure. I guess technically since Jackson, NJ is in Ocean Co it's part of the NYC MSA, but realistically it's in the middle of a forest well removed from the populated coastal areas. It's a 1.5 hr (minimum), 70 mile drive from Columbus Circle in NYC.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2016, 3:48 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^ six flags great adventure is located within the NYC metro area.

the list in the first post was for metros that don' have a major thrill park in their metro area.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2016, 4:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumz0rz View Post
I'm surprised no mention of NYC on this list? I guess Coney Island has some roller coasters but I think of that more as a group of carnival operators rather than a cohesive amusement park. Otherwise, the next closest park would I guess be Six Flags: Great Adventure. I guess technically since Jackson, NJ is in Ocean Co it's part of the NYC MSA, but realistically it's in the middle of a forest well removed from the populated coastal areas. It's a 1.5 hr (minimum), 70 mile drive from Columbus Circle in NYC.
Great Adventure is within the NYC metro area. I don't see the relevance of whether or not there's bad traffic or whether or not it's far from Columbus Circle.

The other regional amusement parks would be Hersheypark (not in the metro area) Dorney Park (in the CSA, not the MSA) and Coney Island (obviously Brooklyn). For kiddies there's also Playland (in Westchester), Legoland (in Rockland, u/c) and Sesame Place (in Philly MSA).

But the only big coaster, tons of attractions type places in this part of the country are Great Adventure and Hersheypark.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2016, 6:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Great Adventure is within the NYC metro area. I don't see the relevance of whether or not there's bad traffic or whether or not it's far from Columbus Circle.

The other regional amusement parks would be Hersheypark (not in the metro area) Dorney Park (in the CSA, not the MSA) and Coney Island (obviously Brooklyn). For kiddies there's also Playland (in Westchester), Legoland (in Rockland, u/c) and Sesame Place (in Philly MSA).

But the only big coaster, tons of attractions type places in this part of the country are Great Adventure and Hersheypark.
Between Philly and NYC: Hershey Park, Dorney Park, Great Adventure, knoebels (bit Far, but similar distance), Beach Towns? Wildwood/Seaside Heights. For kids: Sesame Place, Dutch Wonderland, Stroybook Land etc...

Old Posted Jul 25, 2016, 7:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers2001 View Post
Between Philly and NYC: Hershey Park, Dorney Park, Great Adventure, knoebels (bit Far, but similar distance), Beach Towns? Wildwood/Seaside Heights. For kids: Sesame Place, Dutch Wonderland, Stroybook Land etc...
Yeah, the two metros basically share these parks.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2016, 7:57 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Yeah, the two metros basically share these parks.
yep. six flags great adventure in particular. it was specifically built in central jersey to capture both the NYC and philly markets. it's very similar to how six flags great america was specifically built near the IL/WI border to capture both the chicago and milwaukee markets.

so philly and milwaukee are special cases that might not have their own thrill park literally within metro area limits, but do have a park strategically located in a directly adjacent metro area to conveniently serve their market.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2016, 7:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhun1 View Post
I don't buy that whole explanation about its real estate value for one minute. Otherwise, the land would have been snatched up and used years ago, even if only as a parking lot for NRG/Reliant Park.
Well... you cant blame Six Flags, they dumped the land back in 2006. Blame the developer(s) that currently squat on the land.....

Six Flags tried to and dumped most of their lowest performing parks back in 2006-2007 (apparently Astro world was one of the worst performing), but that's also around the time that the recession was just beginning. So anything getting stalled back then makes a lot of sense. But Six Flags was cheated nearly 75 million out of the deal, main reason why they replaced the CEO. Sounds like that awful decision ended up saving other parks like Magic Mountain. Sooooooo thanks Houston for taking one for the team? lol

But apparently there was a project proposed for the site a few years ago called "SouthPointe". Its literally a near carbon copy, more suburban version, of Centruy City in LA I didn't even think that nightmare was even possible

I'm willing to bet it turns into a housing development.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2016, 9:58 AM

Blame the new developer? I thought it was on high value real-estate (and being next to an NFL stadium, convention center and connected to a major freeway, it should be)? If it was of such great value, then no way would it sit vacant for a decade and counting. You make a solid point about the recession but as I said, it shouldn't have made that much of a difference if it was such hot property.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2016, 3:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers2001 View Post
You forgot every construction nerds favorite: Diggerland.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2016, 4:17 PM

The heavily built up area in the NYC-Philly region are not exactly favorable conditions for amusement parks, which require large amounts of cheap land. Is it surprising that there aren't many amusement parks right outside of our cities? In Philly and NYC, at least, they're found in the hinterlands. Except for Sesame Place, which is small and has no coasters.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2016, 4:30 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Okotoks

Old Posted Jul 26, 2016, 7:35 PM
Art Deco Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by north 42 View Post
Yep, I worked there in the summer of '83 as a ride operator, so much fun! It's really too bad they couldn't have kept it open, as it was iconic in the Windsor/Detroit area for so many decades, especially the two Boblo Boats that would take you from Detroit, down the river to the Island. Now it's a luxury residential island community, part of Amherstburg Ontario. At least the grand old Dance Hall still stands.
Boblo was great but it would not fit the definition of a major roller coaster park since it only had one coaster of significant size (Blue Streak).
Video of riding the Blue Streak

I agree that the Boblo Boats, SS. Columbia (built in 1902) and SS. St. Claire (built in 1910) were the highlights especially now looking back all these years. These three deckers were "living", working museum pieces; the main deck had a large rectangular open space near the stern where you could look down to see the operating triple expansion steam engines in all their complex, leaking, and clattering glory. The Boblo boats actually predated the RMS Titanic (although both Boblo boats put end to end were only half as long as the doomed liner).

Cedar Point probably put Boblo out of business. The first time I went to Cedar Point, I was too short to ride the then famous Corkscrew; in recent years the Corkscrew looked like a toy compared to the Millennium Force and the other new coasters.

I have been on all the coasters at Cedar Point and Kings Island except for any built in the last 5-6 years.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2016, 7:54 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DecoJim View Post
Boblo was great but it would not fit the definition of a major roller coaster park since it only had one coaster of significant size (Blue Streak).
Video of riding the Blue Streak
i believe you mean "sky streak". "blue streak" is the name of the classic wooden roller coaster at cedar point.

interesting bit of trivia about the sky streak: it was the only coaster ever built in the western hemisphere by japanese rollercoaster firm Sensei Yusoki. after it's removal from boblo island in the early '90s it was relocated to Selva Magica in gaudalajara, mexico where it still operates today under the name "titan".

Old Posted Jul 26, 2016, 8:24 PM

Nashville is another major metro without a coaster park.
The Coast2Coaster website is an excellent resource for mapping coasters. You can see that globally there are quite a few big cities without a major park, including most of Africa. In fact, Johannesburg is the only African city that meets your criteria.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2016, 8:30 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivtim View Post
The Coast2Coaster website is an excellent resource for mapping coasters.
most excellent!

thanks for the link!

Old Posted Jul 26, 2016, 11:24 PM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhun1 View Post
Blame the new developer? I thought it was on high value real-estate (and being next to an NFL stadium, convention center and connected to a major freeway, it should be)? If it was of such great value, then no way would it sit vacant for a decade and counting. You make a solid point about the recession but as I said, it shouldn't have made that much of a difference if it was such hot property.
"High value real estate" may be reaching a bit. Just because its near a few stadiums and a freeway doesn't mean its high value. In some cases, the opposite is actually true. In this case, this should have remained a theme park. Bad call on Six Flags part. I wouldn't blame the "Gang Members" but I looked at a few videos on YouTube about astroworld and sorry but the rides SUCKED. Either that or I'm sitting spoiled with Six Flags Magic Mountain.

But that being said. Its not that far fetched for "high value real estate" to sit empty for decades. In the center of Downtown LA there are a few plots of land that are considered "High Value" but are just now starting to get developed a decade after the recession while some are still sitting empty. Vegas had 3 projects that came to a screeching halt when the recession hit and literally they just started work on them again this year (minus the ridiculous incompletion of the Fontainebleau Hotel).

From LA to Seattle to NYC down to Miami, you will find "High Value real estate" that have been sitting empty for years. American developers are still overly cautious about the strength of the American economy. If it weren't for the Canadian and Asian investors and developers, we probably wouldn't be seeing the level of activity we are now. That's just the way the world works these days.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2016, 11:48 PM

Dont want to hijack the thread at all, was just curious what some of you thought...

This thread got me thinking... Lets take Universal Studios Hollywood.... Would that be built there today if the land was available? I haven't done the research but i would wager a bet that Universal brings in WAY more money to the city of LA than any other development that would have taken its place. Hotel taxes, property taxes, retail taxes and on and on. These things are cash cows. If a large metro had enough available land close to the center of the city, i think an amusement park might be a good investment.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2016, 12:43 AM

According to the roller coaster database, Canada's Wonderland has 16 roller coasters. Is that the most in North America?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions