HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 8, 2016, 11:08 PM

The cheapest way to increase bus capacity is to take out the seats. I like cslusarc's idea of using more longitudinal seats--make buses more like subway cars with maximized standing room and, therefore, maximized room for those who can't.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2016, 10:19 PM

Presentation boards from tomorrow's open house for phase 2 RT is online. Lots of good info about the design changes that Plenary and PCL came up with for cost savings.

http://winnipegtransit.com/assets/15..._final_web.pdf

Old Posted Jul 18, 2016, 10:41 PM

Theres all the secrets everyones been waiting for.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2016, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG922 View Post
Presentation boards from tomorrow's open house for phase 2 RT is online. Lots of good info about the design changes that Plenary and PCL came up with for cost savings.

http://winnipegtransit.com/assets/15..._final_web.pdf
Completion... 2019? I skimmed through it quickly, is that 2019 a completion date for when the southwest leg begins running transit?

Old Posted Jul 18, 2016, 10:53 PM

Construction will be complete 2019. 3 year project. Transit operations on Stage 2 start April 2020, after "testing".

Old Posted Jul 18, 2016, 11:04 PM

So as you can see there's nothing that is drastically different in terms of function. Removed some excess structure.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2016, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
So as you can see there's nothing that is drastically different in terms of function. Removed some excess structure.
Yup, functionally it's the same. Realigned the AT at jubilee underpass on the west side. Changed the transit structure around chevrier from a tunnel to an overpass.

I'd guess some big savings came from not having to demolish and rebuild the (relatively new) rail bridge over Bishop. An AT only bridge will be way cheaper than a new rail bridge!

Old Posted Jul 18, 2016, 11:40 PM
Starring as himself

Looking at the famous "dog leg", I'm glad to see they've revived the name "Georgina Street", which was the name designated around 1905 for that proposed street in the plan of the Rosedale subdivision, little of which ever materialized other than Parker Avenue.

I believe I suggested something of that sort on here a few years ago, so clearly they are reading skyscraperpage.com avidly.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2016, 5:45 AM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

CBC Manitoba
Monday, July 18, 2016

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manito...date-1.3683930
Quote:
Replacing tunnels with overpasses helped shave $120 million from the cost of completing the Southwest Transitway, project managers say.

On Monday, Winnipeg Transit unveiled the latest design for a five-year project that involves extending the city's first transit corridor to the University of Manitoba and widening the Pembina Highway underpass at Jubilee Avenue to six lanes.

Last month, the city disclosed the project cost is now pegged at $467 million instead of $587 million. Winnipeg Transit project managers Scott Payne and Jesse Crowder say construction consortium Plenary Roads Winnipeg was able to remove $120 million from the tab by making several changes to the design.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2016, 7:16 AM

Quote:
Replacing tunnels with overpasses helped shave $120 million from the cost of completing the Southwest Transitway, project managers say.

Christ... anyone could have figured that one out. I'm calling it now; y'all are in for a shit show.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2016, 1:42 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by scryer View Post

Christ... anyone could have figured that one out. I'm calling it now; y'all are in for a shit show.
We all know it will be, just like every other project with the City of Winnipeg involved!

Old Posted Jul 26, 2016, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Construction will be complete 2019. 3 year project. Transit operations on Stage 2 start April 2020, after "testing".
I hate to revive this from something that is 5 days old.... But this ^^^^.

Again, all they are doing is building new roads. How much testing is really needed?

Old Posted Jul 27, 2016, 12:48 AM

Quote:
I hate to revive this from something that is 5 days old.... But this ^^^^.

Again, all they are doing is building new roads. How much testing is really needed?
Probably not that much but Transit has certain windows when they can move their service to new routes, and one of the windows is the major spring schedule change in April.

So in theory depending on how efficient Plenary Roads and there paving crews are, the new route could sit dormant for some time before the schedule change.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2016, 1:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
Probably not that much but Transit has certain windows when they can move their service to new routes, and one of the windows is the major spring schedule change in April.

So in theory depending on how efficient Plenary Roads and there paving crews are, the new route could sit dormant for some time before the schedule change.
That is a good explanation. Thank you for that.

I guess this must be a personal pet peeve of mine but I just feel that extensive "testing" isn't needed for a project that doesn't have extensive infrastructure. Nor do I feel that the introduction of this extended system is needed during a big transit schedule change as other cities don't do this for their major transportation extensions.

Now, I could understand the need for testing for a transit project like LRT but, they're just paving roads and overpasses. If this extension sits dormant for a long period of time, after construction, I will laugh my ass off at the inefficiency of this circus project.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2016, 1:39 AM

Yeah, agreed. Why can't they just implement the changes to the schedule for fall 2019, and just wait for the roads to be ready for them to actually go into use. Test for a week or two then say "ok the ne lines are ready now." It would give ppl time to plan for their new routes.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2016, 1:50 AM

Quote:

Now, I could understand the need for testing for a transit project like LRT but, they're just paving roads and overpasses. If this extension sits dormant for a long period of time, after construction, I will laugh my ass off at the inefficiency of this circus project.
You talk like you don't already know that's exactly what will happen.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2016, 2:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biguc View Post
You talk like you don't already know that's exactly what will happen.
I'm compounding my laughter for the future (being 3-4 years from now).

Last edited by scryer; Jul 27, 2016 at 2:54 AM.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2016, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Yeah, agreed. Why can't they just implement the changes to the schedule for fall 2019, and just wait for the roads to be ready for them to actually go into use. Test for a week or two then say "ok the ne lines are ready now." It would give ppl time to plan for their new routes.
The new schedule can't be implemented until the extension is open. The extension will involve completely new routes (e.g. the 200) and different timings on existing routes. It would be massively inefficient to try to operate it on the existing infrastructure, not to mention confusing for customers.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2016, 1:49 AM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarryEllice View Post
The new schedule can't be implemented until the extension is open. The extension will involve completely new routes (e.g. the 200) and different timings on existing routes. It would be massively inefficient to try to operate it on the existing infrastructure, not to mention confusing for customers.
Not sure of a route 200. Can you point me to a document at CoW Clerk's Dep't?

I do know of a proposed Route 52 (Southeastern) to serve Sage Creek, to be implemented this September.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2016, 6:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilZebra View Post
Not sure of a route 200. Can you point me to a document at CoW Clerk's Dep't?
It's the route that will run the full length of the extended transitway (Downtown-UM) stopping at all stations. In the 2013 consultation boards it was called the 200, but I see that it's now being called the 199 (see page 5).

Regardless of what number it eventually gets, it's a completely new route that will operate in addition to the existing university service (60/160/161/185).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan