HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario

Old Posted Apr 21, 2016, 2:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreTrains View Post
The amount of truck traffic I deal with on a weekend between Kingston and Napanee (Im sure it continues but I dont drive any further than that) is pretty heavy. And forcing traffic to slow down to 100 is not the issue, it is when they force traffic down to 80, which is very frequent.

I dont necessarily think that we need to add in a third lane, but something needs to be done about trucks. All trucks are limited to 110, which means they shouldnt be able to pass eachother (I know some are limited lower). So either remove the limiter, or remove the ability to pass. That would free up movement in the more congested areas and cost much less.
I would be in favour of banning trucks from using the left lane on the 4-lane stretches of the 401, except in emergency stations.

I don't have stats in front of me but sometimes I wonder if truck traffic has been growing on the 401.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2016, 3:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonysnob View Post
Spending Ontarian's fuel tax dollars on the upkeep and improvement to the highway 401 corridor is exactly what the province should be doing on the Kingston to Toronto corridor. Highway users are paying for the privilege of using the highway, and the province should maintain and widen the highway in accordance with traffic demands. Particularly in Northumberland County, traffic volumes really aren't that far away from requiring widening as it is.
Stop with that myth. Fuel taxes do not pay for highways. Revenues from motorists (fuel taxes + plate fees + license fees) don't even come close to the cost of maintaining road infrastructure.

Quote:
Should the province pursue high speed rail, I don't see that really having much of an impact on highway traffic either. The fares to use the rail would be much more akin to flying than to driving, so passenger increases to the train are much more likely to come at the expense of air travel rather than highway travel.
Check the updates. VIA Rail's new "HFR" plan calls for dedicated tracks, not full HSR. And pricing was very specifically the reason for this. VIA has made it clear they consider their competition to be cars, not planes, and all their future pricing plans are in accordance with this viewpoint.

The idea of HSR viewed as a competitor to airlines with airline-inspired pricing is dead. Even Europe doesn't think that way anymore.

Even the province's full-blown HSR plans for the Toronto-Kitchener-London route call for low fares intended to compete with the automobile.
"It is only because the control of the means of production is divided among many people acting independently that nobody has complete power over us, that we as individuals can decide what to do with ourselves." - Friedrich Hayek

Old Posted Apr 21, 2016, 1:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
Stop with that myth. Fuel taxes do not pay for highways. Revenues from motorists (fuel taxes + plate fees + license fees) don't even come close to the cost of maintaining road infrastructure.

Check the updates. VIA Rail's new "HFR" plan calls for dedicated tracks, not full HSR. And pricing was very specifically the reason for this. VIA has made it clear they consider their competition to be cars, not planes, and all their future pricing plans are in accordance with this viewpoint.

The idea of HSR viewed as a competitor to airlines with airline-inspired pricing is dead. Even Europe doesn't think that way anymore.

Even the province's full-blown HSR plans for the Toronto-Kitchener-London route call for low fares intended to compete with the automobile.
What myth? All I said was that residents in the Oshawa-Kingston corridor pay taxes towards the use of the highway. It's the government's job to provide services with the revenues generated from the collection taxes, and they should do that with the 401.

I stand behind my comments regarding VIA and local transit service. Improvements to VIA may benefit residents in Montreal, Ottawa and Toronto, but do little to nothing for people who live in the small towns themselves.

Last edited by sonysnob; Apr 21, 2016 at 3:21 PM.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2016, 2:06 PM
I ask because I Gatineau

Quote:
CAA would disagree with that "myth".
http://blog.caasco.com/whatshappenin...ructure-costs/

Quote:
Drivers Pay For Ontario’s Road Infrastructure Costs

New Conference Board report dispels presumption that motorists don’t cover infrastructure costs

New research funded by CAA South Central Ontario (CAA SCO) finds Ontario drivers cover a significant portion of the costs when it comes to funding road infrastructure in this province.

The Conference Board of Canada report, Where the Rubber Meets the Road: How Much Motorists Pay for Road Infrastructure (free account required), reveals that motorists in Ontario cover between 70 and 90 percent of the costs of the road network through fees and gas taxes. In the Greater Toronto and Hamilton Area (GTHA), road users more than cover the full costs of construction, maintenance and policing.

“This comprehensive study sheds new light on the common misconception that road users in Ontario are heavily subsidized,” said Teresa Di Felice, Director of Government and Community Relations, CAA SCO. “Before any decisions can be made about new revenue tools (tolls, taxes and increased fees), it is essential to understand who pays for our road network.”

As a leading transportation advocate, CAA SCO has repeatedly called on the province to establish dedicated funding for road infrastructure to address critical issues around gridlock.

For several years now, CAA has advocated for a portion of the HST collected on gas and diesel fuel sales to be allocated directly to transportation improvements and serve as one way to save motorists from further costs.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2016, 4:18 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manny_santos View Post
I would be in favour of banning trucks from using the left lane on the 4-lane stretches of the 401, except in emergency stations.

I don't have stats in front of me but sometimes I wonder if truck traffic has been growing on the 401.
This sort of shit happens far too often on the 401. Bad weather + too many trucks and the highway becomes a death trap.

lfp

Seemingly every 4th time I travel the road for any stretch, I see at least one truck trailer in the ditch, jack-knifed, or what not.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2016, 7:10 AM

Quote:
What myth? All I said was that residents in the Oshawa-Kingston corridor pay taxes towards the use of the highway. It's the government's job to provide services with the revenues generated from the collection taxes, and they should do that with the 401.
And what I'm saying is that six-laning the entirety of the highway between Cobourg and Kingston, or even further east, is not a good use of tax dollars. The benefits aren't worth the billions when so many other things are competing for these dollars.
"It is only because the control of the means of production is divided among many people acting independently that nobody has complete power over us, that we as individuals can decide what to do with ourselves." - Friedrich Hayek

Old Posted Apr 22, 2016, 7:16 AM

Quote:
I stand behind my comments regarding VIA and local transit service. Improvements to VIA may benefit residents in Montreal, Ottawa and Toronto, but do little to nothing for people who live in the small towns themselves.
1) Most people in the corridor live in the major cities and most of the traffic on the highway is travelling between the major cities

2) VIA is focused on servicing intermediate markets. Straight out of an interview with VIA's president a few months ago:

Quote:
Q: What are the challenges you face in reaching VIA Rail’s potential and increasing ridership the way you wanted to?
A: Changing the perception that the market is end to end – Ottawa to Toronto, Montreal to Toronto. That was a long-held view. That was what 30 years of high-speed train studies were based on and that is what people at VIA Rail and many others thought was the business we were in. Changing that view was a big challenge. But nothing speaks louder than success. By reinstating stops and by focusing on the intermediary markets, ridership picked up and revenue picked up, which kind of confirmed to people that maybe, yes, you will still serve Montreal to Toronto and Ottawa to Toronto, but that will be a collateral benefit of serving the Bellevilles, the Kingstons, the Cornwalls, the Smiths Falls and the Alexandrias.
source: http://www.railcan.ca/assets/images/...AC-Q0116_L.pdf, page 18

Old Posted Apr 22, 2016, 7:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horus View Post
Don't trust the CAA.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2016, 12:20 PM

Quote:
1) Most people in the corridor live in the major cities and most of the traffic on the highway is travelling between the major cities

2) VIA is focused on servicing intermediate markets. Straight out of an interview with VIA's president a few months ago:

source: http://www.railcan.ca/assets/images/...AC-Q0116_L.pdf, page 18
The president of VIA rail can say whatever they want. To be honest, his comments are probably more politically driven then even what CAA puts out.

VIA service improvements will have little impact on traffic volumes on the 401. VIA rail service improvements will not divert a significant portion of peak hour traffic volumes on to the rail (virtually none of peak hour 401 trips originate or terminate in walking distance to and from a train station), nor will they do anything significant to stem traffic congestion on weekends in the summer. Only investing in 401 improvements address these issues, and thinking otherwise is quite frankly just a fantasy.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2016, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
This sort of shit happens far too often on the 401. Bad weather + too many trucks and the highway becomes a death trap.

lfp

Seemingly every 4th time I travel the road for any stretch, I see at least one truck trailer in the ditch, jack-knifed, or what not.
I dunno, looks fine to me...

Old Posted Apr 22, 2016, 12:45 PM
I ask because I Gatineau

Quote:
Don't trust the CAA.
CAA has advocated for years and years that gas tax and vehicle licensing revenues be directed into highway maintenance and improvement funds. For their study to indicate that this is actually happening is pretty remarkable. If they were slanting the results to their agenda, the report would have been much more critical. If gas tax and vehicle fees were going into the provincial general revenues, they'd be hopping mad.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2016, 6:22 AM

Quote:
VIA service improvements will have little impact on traffic volumes on the 401. VIA rail service improvements will not divert a significant portion of peak hour traffic volumes on to the rail (virtually none of peak hour 401 trips originate or terminate in walking distance to and from a train station), nor will they do anything significant to stem traffic congestion on weekends in the summer. Only investing in 401 improvements address these issues, and thinking otherwise is quite frankly just a fantasy.
Except intercity traffic isn't really driven by peak hour issues. Intercity traffic is distributed throughout the day. There's increases in evenings especially on Fridays and Sundays, but not nearly as dramatic as the sharp peaks experienced at rush hours for commuter traffic. Walking distance doesn't matter; there's cabs, park and riding, and local transit. Already a large majority of VIA passengers don't access/depart VIA services on foot. Summer weekends is actually among the lowest hanging fruit for rail services; easy enough to draw crowds with fast trains, frequent services, and discounted prices on key weekends. VIA's been aggressively targeting Thanksgiving travellers for the past few years and ridership on that weekend has increased considerably.

VIA has already boosted ridership in the Ottawa-Kingston-Toronto corridor more than 30% in the past couple years with nothing more than a handful of additional trains and lower fares. Credible studies show VIA could triple ridership--attracting something in the order of four million additional annual boardings--with dedicated tracks and schedule improvements. Right now the mode share for travel in the corridor is 87% auto, 6% plane, 5% train. A 15% mode share for VIA would eat into auto (most plane trips in the TOM triangle are for onward connections, which aren't likely to be diverted onto rail) reducing it to below 80% over time, slowing down traffic growth.

Vehicle counts between Cobourg and Kingston would have to increase dramatically above current levels to justify 6 laning, and with VIA able to sap demand growth, that's pushed even further into the future.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2016, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Except intercity traffic isn't really driven by peak hour issues. Intercity traffic is distributed throughout the day. There's increases in evenings especially on Fridays and Sundays, but not nearly as dramatic as the sharp peaks experienced at rush hours for commuter traffic. Walking distance doesn't matter; there's cabs, park and riding, and local transit. Already a large majority of VIA passengers don't access/depart VIA services on foot. Summer weekends is actually among the lowest hanging fruit for rail services; easy enough to draw crowds with fast trains, frequent services, and discounted prices on key weekends. VIA's been aggressively targeting Thanksgiving travellers for the past few years and ridership on that weekend has increased considerably.
Most traffic on the 401 is fairly local in nature. Certainly traffic on the 401 through Northumberland County doesn't spike during the morning and afternoon like it does say through Ajax, but there are definitely peaks to traffic volumes on the highway.

I'd suggest that if you looked a weekday peak hour morning traffic volumes for any given spot on the 401 through Northumberland County, between 60% to 70% of traffic either originated or is destined for a location either in Durham Region or Northumberland in Hastings Counties. The vast majority of passenger vehicle traffic on the 401 at peak hour is people driving to and from work, or running their daily errands. This type of traffic is unlikely to be cohersed onto via rail given the decentralized nature of the communities that the 401 passes through. For example, it's pretty unlikely someone who lives in Cobourg and works in Port Hope is going to drive to the train station, take the train, and then take the bus or the cab to their final destination. They're simply going to drive that entire distance.

I'd suggest that through traffic between the GTA and Montreal or Ottawa comprises only about 10-15% of total traffic on the corridor during the peak hour. Consider that traffic falling into this category already could have chosen either to take the train or fly between these destinations, but elected not to. There may be a variety of reasons for this decision. It could be that the train or airport isn't conveniently located at either their origin or destination, or they may need their car at their destination (contractors or salespeople for example), or they simply may not like to drive. There may be a few people who would opt for the train if it were faster, however probably not enough to make a real dent in peak hour volumes on the highway.

VIA also is unlikely to drive a lot of summer weekend traffic off of the 401. Summer weekend traffic tends to have an average higher vehicle occupancy level than weekday traffic, and also tends to have origins and destinations that aren't easily accessible from travel modes that aren't accessible by car. Consider getting it to Sandbanks Provincial Park from the train. It's an awful long walk from the Belleville train station to the beach.

Also, consider the Barrie train that now runs on Summer weekends from Toronto to Barrie. In 2013, approximately 41,000 weekend trips were made on the GO line to Barrie. Averaging over approximately 21 weekends, that means that approximately 975 trips were made on the train per day. Considering that summer weekend traffic on nearby Highway 400 averaged between 100,000 to 115,000 vehicles per day, it's noteworthy to point out that train trips comprised of significantly less than 1% of total Highway 400 traffic. And that's just traffic on the 400 corridor, not counting surcharge volume that would be seen on either of the sideroads through Innisfil or along Highway 27. The recreational nature of traffic on the 401 corridor between Oshawa to Kingston really isn't all that different from the 400 up to Barrie.

Quote:
VIA has already boosted ridership in the Ottawa-Kingston-Toronto corridor more than 30% in the past couple years with nothing more than a handful of additional trains and lower fares. Credible studies show VIA could triple ridership--attracting something in the order of four million additional annual boardings--with dedicated tracks and schedule improvements. Right now the mode share for travel in the corridor is 87% auto, 6% plane, 5% train. A 15% mode share for VIA would eat into auto (most plane trips in the TOM triangle are for onward connections, which aren't likely to be diverted onto rail) reducing it to below 80% over time, slowing down traffic growth.
Highway 401 traffic volumes can be accessed here:
http://www.raqsb.mto.gov.on.ca/techp...umes.nsf/tvweb

I had a look at traffic volumes for the 401 through Northumberland County. Over the past decade or so, traffic volumes have been growing at about 1% per anum, which is fairly typical for an area of the province such as this that is not exhibiting significant growth. So, evidence would show that VIA's past travel growth within the corridor has not been at the expense of local 401 use within the corridor. Remember, the crux of the argument isn't that VIA is useless, rather that it doesn't negate the need for local highway improvements within the corridor, and that it doesn't provide significant benefits to smaller centres within the corridor.

Based upon traffic volumes within the corridor, it would seem that increases in VIA rail ridership have either had their origin or destination as Downtown Toronto, and has not provided any significant benefit to local travel within the corridor.

Quote:
Vehicle counts between Cobourg and Kingston would have to increase dramatically above current levels to justify 6 laning, and with VIA able to sap demand growth, that's pushed even further into the future.
Incorrect.

The 401 was widened from four to six lanes through Oxford County between Woodstock and Cambridge when traffic volumes reached approximately 45,000 vehicles per day. This occurred during the past decade. Several sections of the between Kingston and Cobourg are very close to that threshold, and will require widening within the next ten to fifteen years.

In 2010, traffic volumes were 39,900 between Northumberland County Road 23 and Cobourg. At 1% growth per anum, this stretch of highway should need to be widened by approximately 2020. Between Northumberland County Road 23 and Trenton, traffic is in the 35,000- 38,000 vehicle per day range. This stretch of highway should need widening by 2030. From Trenton to Belleville, traffic volumes are in the 39,000 to 40,000 range, so it should be widened also by 2020 or so. Easterly from Belleville to Kinston, traffic is lower, averaging around 35,000, which probably doesn't put it to much later than 2030 either. Past improvements to VIA haven't done anything to suppress traffic growth, so there is no reason to suspect future improvements will either.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2016, 8:22 PM

Past improvements to VIA have been very weak, and nowhere near the scale currently proposed. VIA's plan is expected to carry around 6 million annual passengers, 4 million more than today. Now not all of those are on the 401 corridor (some on the 417 corridor), but many are. Lets say that 3 million of those trips are ones along the Toronto - Montreal axis. That is an average of 8,219 trips a day more than today. Now not all of that will be vehicle traffic, some will be bus trips and flights, some new trips that wouldn't otherwise be made. Lets say 1/2 are new trips, or grabbed from flights or buses. You are looking at 4,000 people a day taking the train that previously drove. Average vehicle occupancy is probably around 1.5 for those types of trips - roughly 2,500 AADT removed.

It would have an impact, but nothing crazy. You aren't going to see 50,000 AADT roads drop to 30,000 AADT. It might delay a widening by 5 years at most, and I imagine would take a small bite out of AADT growth long term.

Important to remember VIA isn't an express train from Toronto - Montreal, it stops in a lot of other local communities. Trips like Belleville - Kingston can be made on it, if one wished.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2016, 2:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horus View Post
Also the Toronto to Montreal section of the Corridor gets something like a 75% or 80% fare recovery, which is very similar to what drivers pay for the 401 area. So really, drivers and VIA passengers are getting similar costs and subsidies paid there.

The VIA subsidies only look bad once you look especially at the "mandatory" remote route services, where the fare recovery is 5% to 15%.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2016, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternallyme View Post

The VIA subsidies only look bad once you look especially at the "mandatory" remote route services, where the fare recovery is 5% to 15%.
The Sudbury - White River route?

Old Posted May 13, 2016, 12:54 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternallyme View Post
Also the Toronto to Montreal section of the Corridor gets something like a 75% or 80% fare recovery, which is very similar to what drivers pay for the 401 area. So really, drivers and VIA passengers are getting similar costs and subsidies paid there.

yeah, that is extremely puzzling. Via is hamstrung by these routes of middling volume. Herve-->Senneterre, Jasper-->Prince Rupert, etc. Meanwhile volume is cut on the routes that pay the bacon (e.g., reduced service in the corridor).

Old Posted Jul 12, 2016, 4:25 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Any construction pics or updated information on the Beast?

Old Posted Jul 13, 2016, 2:00 AM
User Registered

I drove through the extension in Windsor over the weekend. It's pretty neat, but really underused until the new bridge is built. I did record the drive, but have yet to look at the footage. If it's good I'll make a vid out of it.

About 30km of highway in the Chatham area is being completely rebuilt.

In Kitchener, 10-laning is in progress. Traffic snarls at about the Grand River Bridge (going eastbound) despite the fact that 6 lanes are being kept open.

Lane Doubling in Mississauga is also underway. HOV lanes will open from the Credit River when complete.

401/412 interchange opened last month. I'd assume the 401/418 interchange will start soon.

Not sure what is going east of that.

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Jul 13, 2016, 3:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haljackey View Post
Not sure what is going east of that.
In my end of the province, about 2km of the 401 (between Montreal Street exit & the Cataraqui River/Rideau Canal) was recently widened from 4 lanes to 6. They've started work on widening the Cataraqui River bridge. Once that's done in a year or two, the 401 will be fully 6-laned through Kingston.

Further east, a shitton of rebuilding activity (resurfacing, culvert replacement, bridge work, etc.) is going on between Kingston and the 416.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario