HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jun 10, 2016, 2:53 AM
Closed account

Has anyone heard any updates about the south terminal? I'm pretty sure one of the mexican airlines is going to start running Austin-Monterrey and it would be nice to know when the space will be operational.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2016, 11:18 PM

This KXAN story has a good rendering of the temporary stinger gate setup at the 0:37 mark on the video.

http://kxan.com/2016/06/07/nine-gate...AN_Austin_News

You can also see a rendering here: http://austintexas.gov/blog/gate-4-c...ansion-project

Old Posted Jun 13, 2016, 2:35 AM
World Traveler

They're going to need a moving walkway for that last gate, haha.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2016, 5:02 AM

My guess is that this will be more permanent than they planned. If the traffic keeps up, and the expansion plans remain behind the curve, we'll be relying on this stinger extension for a long time.

Anyone remember the rotunda with the Southwest gates at Mueller? Not sure how long that was planned to exist, but it certainly seemed like a temporary extension, and lasted until the end of the airport.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2016, 5:01 PM
Member since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookem View Post
My guess is that this will be more permanent than they planned. If the traffic keeps up, and the expansion plans remain behind the curve, we'll be relying on this stinger extension for a long time.

Anyone remember the rotunda with the Southwest gates at Mueller? Not sure how long that was planned to exist, but it certainly seemed like a temporary extension, and lasted until the end of the airport.

The Southwest Airlines section at Mueller was permanent.

Also, the stinger gate will have to be removed once the expansion is complete...there will not be enough clearance to maneuver planes around the stinger to get to the new gates (apron is not big enough).

Old Posted Jun 14, 2016, 1:14 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoot View Post
The Southwest Airlines section at Mueller was permanent.

Also, the stinger gate will have to be removed once the expansion is complete...there will not be enough clearance to maneuver planes around the stinger to get to the new gates (apron is not big enough).
Yep. Planes in the back won't be able to swing around. This is also the last apron expansion they can do. The new slab will go right up to the east runway.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2016, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brando View Post
Has anyone heard any updates about the south terminal? I'm pretty sure one of the mexican airlines is going to start running Austin-Monterrey and it would be nice to know when the space will be operational.
So

Last edited by Austin1971; Jan 23, 2020 at 7:13 PM.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2016, 11:53 PM

[q

Last edited by Austin1971; Jan 23, 2020 at 7:13 PM.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2016, 12:18 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin1971 View Post
GoldenBoot is on the money. Gates are temporary. If the port continues to grow like we've seen this will be a long construction project. After we finish the 9 gate expansion onto the next phase....
That's the idea. I believe the preferred alternative is to build a whole new real "south terminal"
http://i.imgur.com/1xHmXyK.jpg

Many of the images that have been posted in this thread are apart of the alternative list. (section 5)

http://www.austintexas.gov/page/airport-master-plan

Old Posted Jun 16, 2016, 4:01 AM
Member since 2001

Quote:
That's the idea. I believe the preferred alternative is to build a whole new real "south terminal"
http://i.imgur.com/1xHmXyK.jpg

Many of the images that have been posted in this thread are apart of the alternative list. (section 5)

http://www.austintexas.gov/page/airport-master-plan
Yes, the Master Plan did recommend a totally new South Terminal ("Concept A-07A with "Concept A-06A" being a close second). However, it seems that those running the airport are leaning toward:

"Concept A-01"...two piers jutting out from the current "north" (Barbara Jordan) terminal.

Why? I don't know. Cost would be the first thing I would look at...

If it were me...no matter what, I'd stick with either of the top two (originally) recommend master plan concepts (#1 A-07A and #2 A-06A) way before I'd do the pier concept.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2016, 5:41 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoot View Post
Yes, the Master Plan did recommend a totally new South Terminal ("Concept A-07A with "Concept A-06A" being a close second). However, it seems that those running the airport are leaning toward:

"Concept A-01"...two piers jutting out from the current "north" (Barbara Jordan) terminal.

Why? I don't know. Cost would be the first thing I would look at...

If it were me...no matter what, I'd stick with either of the top two (originally) recommend master plan concepts (#1 A-07A and #2 A-06A) way before I'd do the pier concept.
What makes you think they have changed their preference?

Old Posted Jun 16, 2016, 7:06 AM
I am so smart, S-M-R-T!

Quote:
What makes you think they have changed their preference?
FWIW, ABIA will likely be updating their master plan in 2017 or so, so any longer-term preferences would be reflected in that document.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2016, 3:10 PM

April numbers have been released

"Alaska Airlines passengers totaled 20,790, up 99%" holy shit

Last edited by Digatisdi; Jun 16, 2016 at 3:27 PM.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2016, 4:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digatisdi View Post
April numbers have been released

"Alaska Airlines passengers totaled 20,790, up 99%" holy shit
Having the only direct flights to Portland/Seattle (I think it's the only one) has made me deviate from my usual loyalty several times.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2016, 4:54 PM
I am so smart, S-M-R-T!

More details on the East Terminal expansion...

All in all, it's a distinctive expansion of the existing terminal without standing out as a wholly separate facility.

Also, as an interesting feature, it looks like an outdoor seating area either near or explicitly for a large restaurant on the east end!

------------------------------------------------

Here we clearly see that Gates E10 and E11 will have dual loading bridges with the "a" designation likely for premium passengers loading in the front.

The feature restaurant will have an interior "upper deck" for seating. Judging by the image here, this is surely going to get a lot of attention from the architects.

As a side note, the rendering mimics taking a photo of the restaurant from the second level. It appears that the secure area for arrivals from Gate 11, for example, will proceed up to a second level hallway, walk west toward an area above Gate 9, cross north to above Gate 8, and then west toward the Immigration facilities. That will give the east end a very open feel as an area of its own, i.e. the two-story ceiling will not extend the full length of the terminal expansion.

------------------------------------------------

I thought the concession layout was interesting, particularly as it includes the airport's first dedicated Duty Free store.

It may be fun to speculate on which Austin-area institutions may set up shop in the airport who don't already have a presence. And I really hope the airport maintains a distinctly Austin feel, i.e. few chains and more local establishments.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2016, 6:15 PM

Looks very nice! I really like the patio they show!

Old Posted Jun 16, 2016, 8:41 PM

I'm surprised there won't be an alliance lounge added. The American/One World lounge is stuffed and needs a much larger space. I thought I heard they were going to expand but not sure where this space would come from or if a lounge relocation is necessary. Does anyone have any insight?

Old Posted Jun 16, 2016, 9:23 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

The renderings look great!

Just looked over the master plan PDF again and unless I'm not considering other factors such as where everything is placed, why couldn't they just build the south terminal exactly like the main terminal? Same design and shape? It's a great design which should be replicated if possible.

I saw the aviation forecasts and boy do they really need to update that. We are well beyond their 2020 projection and that's under their high growth scenario lol.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2016, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXboom View Post
I'm surprised there won't be an alliance lounge added. The American/One World lounge is stuffed and needs a much larger space. I thought I heard they were going to expand but not sure where this space would come from or if a lounge relocation is necessary. Does anyone have any insight?
United lounge isn't much better, either.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2016, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey711MN View Post
It may be fun to speculate on which Austin-area institutions may set up shop in the airport who don't already have a presence. And I really hope the airport maintains a distinctly Austin feel, i.e. few chains and more local establishments.
I'll start.

Torchy's!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin