HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Jul 12, 2015, 2:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by big W View Post
Well I can tell you from experience I know why. The 2 main streets in Oliver (Jasper Ave and 104 Ave) are not conducive to walking as they are built with the car in mind and not pedestrians. Jasper Ave is slowly changing with every new development but there is a significant amount that needs to continue along with actual street upgrades to make Jasper Ave more pedestrian friendly in this area. Therefore in many ways while the people are there they are hidden and people will drive rather than walk in the area due to the built form.

I live in Grandin near the Save on Foods and I rarely venture west, my wife and I usually head east or South and will walk along the 100 ave etc as the leafy streets are always nice for a walk. Jasper Ave west of 109 nope.

Starting from 109 heading west.

109 - 110 Street, either closed to pedestrians on one side (with retainer walls or parking lot) and developments built with car in mind to the north with many stores having the main door to the parking lot in behind rather than to the street.

110 - 111 Street, retail on both sides do not open on to street level (except 02's rest has retainer walls) and parking lot on the corner by the seniors home.

111 - 112 Street, has a hospital in behind with parking fronting onto Jasper thus creating a barrier. Other side of the street with Cactus Club patio, is much better and is always busy but there is the parking lot on the north side of the street.

112 - 113 Street is appears fairly busy on both sides of the streets on a constant basis.

113 - 114 Street has the Mac's liquor store plaza with parking fronting Jasper with the stores and the people in the back. Then you had a bank with parking fronting onto Jasper and now a vacant lot (the tower there once built will do wonders for the street level feel). The Church and Teddys on the other side are fine as Teddys does have foot traffic out front and the church is quite busy.

114 - 115 Street. Now the trouble really begins. Dealership with parking fronting onto the street thus killing any activity. Shoppers and the Office are fine but there is a vacant parking lot in between.

115 - 116 Street. Car dealership parking fronting onto Jasper on both sides of the street.

116 - 117 Street has a gas station and liquor store parking fronting onto Jasper Ave on one side and a bubble car wash on the other side of the street. Oh and another parking lot in case you were worrying about a place for people while on this block the rose bowl patio is in behind facing the street and not right onto jasper ave. I will give the newer development there credit as the dominos and Mac's parking is in behind with the stores fronting and opening onto Jasper and once again this area of the block always seems to have pedestrians on Jasper Ave.

117-118 Street - Cleaning by page, has store in behind with parking fronting onto Jasper. Rest of the block has stores that open onto the street including new development and guess what this area of Jasper always appears busy. On the other side, with Family foods closed and then parking fronting onto Jasper (Famoso Patio or On the rocks open onto the parking rather than Jasper Ave and thus pedestrians once again are hidden and all you see is cars).

118 - 119 Street - Japonais Bistro Patio and Subway open onto the parking lot rather than Jasper with the cars fronting onto Jasper Ave. Then parking lot, finally the Earls patio but again that is always busy. Other side of the street is the rexall parking.

119 - 120 Street - Illuminada always has people in front but again new development with stores opening onto the street parking is hidden, and then contruction on both sides of the street so that tends to make it a less than pleasant place to be but this will be great as the development has stores and people fronting the streets and not cars.

120 - 121 Street - North side is ok, but will be much improved with a new CNIB tower and again built with people in mind. The South side of the street however has a large parking lot fronting onto Jasper

121 - 122 Street south side is essentially buildings with no stores and set back from the road. North side is parking fronting onto Jasper with the stores in behind (Donair and Liquor store then parking lot then Planet Organic)

122 - 123 Street again the south side has no stores with the high rises set back and the construction on the north side which should improve things once done.

123 - 124 Street, same thing with the high rises lacking stores and set back from the street and on the north end the Cococo Chocolate again is in behind with the cars fronting onto the street.

I will not do 104 as that is all cars and no people in mind. The people are there but in many cases are hidden as we have put cars front an centre for most of the stretch and people and stores in behind. I don't like walking amongst parking lots and neither do most people hence the lack of people as you said. Then there is the issue with the street itself which is quite wide so you have cars whipping by and sometimes oblivious to the crosswalks in the area. The street upgrades cant happen soon enough and with continued development the area will be a real gem.
That sure is a comprehensive post! Thanks! I'm looking forward to my move and exploring some of the micro-geography of downtown. I thought I read somewhere that the sidewalks on Jasper Ave were being updated. My wish would be for a lane of parking to be taken out, taking the street down to two lanes of traffic, and trees and greenery planted between the curb and a widened sidewalk to block off the noise of traffic.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2015, 2:37 AM

Maybe Chicago and Vancouver aren't fair comparisons, so leaving them to the side, take Calgary. I don't know it well, but from what I've seen they've done an excellent job with a pedestrianized Stephen Ave. Denver has it's own downtown pedestrianized shopping street as does Minneapolis. These cities are all comparable to Edmonton in terms of climate/history/layout/size (though the latter are a little bigger). I'd hardly consider them bastions of progressive urbanism. And yet, they all pedestrianized major downtown streets long ago. Why didn't Edmonton do the same? (Apart from Rice Howard Way, which is pretty short.) My understanding is that 103 street might be pedestrianized...I'll be interested to see how that develops. It does seem that a lot going on downtown now is in the right direction, thankfully.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2015, 5:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanroo View Post
Maybe Chicago and Vancouver aren't fair comparisons, so leaving them to the side, take Calgary. I don't know it well, but from what I've seen they've done an excellent job with a pedestrianized Stephen Ave. Denver has it's own downtown pedestrianized shopping street as does Minneapolis. These cities are all comparable to Edmonton in terms of climate/history/layout/size (though the latter are a little bigger). I'd hardly consider them bastions of progressive urbanism. And yet, they all pedestrianized major downtown streets long ago. Why didn't Edmonton do the same? (Apart from Rice Howard Way, which is pretty short.) My understanding is that 103 street might be pedestrianized...I'll be interested to see how that develops. It does seem that a lot going on downtown now is in the right direction, thankfully.
Rice Howard Way is a rounding error; it almost doesn't exist.

Plans to pedestrianize 103rd go back to the 80s, when it was proposed to cover it with a galleria-like canopy. The impetus for that wilted on the vine a long time ago, and I don't believe that there's a present effort to revive that.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2015, 5:23 PM

104 St north of Jasper Ave is the best candidate for pedestrian-only street.

Rice Howard Way has a parkade. Shut that down and this can be pedestrian-only.
108 St might be a good alternative in a couple of decades, but right now there's very little retail and restaurant/bar activity to draw pedestrians.
Whyte Ave is a major commuter route with no viable alternatives nearby.
124 St? Another commuter route.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2015, 6:04 PM
Community Guy

104th was closed all of yesterday, was awesome.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Aug 13, 2015, 2:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallsy's Toupee View Post
104 St north of Jasper Ave is the best candidate for pedestrian-only street.

Rice Howard Way has a parkade. Shut that down and this can be pedestrian-only.
108 St might be a good alternative in a couple of decades, but right now there's very little retail and restaurant/bar activity to draw pedestrians.
Whyte Ave is a major commuter route with no viable alternatives nearby.
124 St? Another commuter route.
I'm now in Edmonton and am enjoying this nice dry heat. I'm also enjoying the city--it's changed much for the better since I left 15 years ago. 104 street would be great as a pedestrian street. I walked around Rice Howard Way today at lunch. If it weren't for that darn parkade much more could be pedestrian, but as it is, I don't see why 101A Ave couldn't be pedestrian all the way to 100 street, and I also don't see why 100A street couldn't be pedestrian from 101A Ave to 102 Ave. Certainly there was a healthy pedestrian presence--walkers outnumbered drivers by 20 to 1 easily. Maybe they could experiment with it being pedestrian at certain hours? Like 10-3? Also I note that 102A north of Churchill Square is blocked off to cars. Is that something permanent?

Old Posted Aug 13, 2015, 2:28 AM

Something else I've noticed since moving to Edmonton: pedestrians wait for a light to cross the street even if there isn't a car in sight. I find it rather funny!

Old Posted Aug 13, 2015, 2:31 AM
Majestic

Looking for some accommodations in Edmonton. Working downtown near 101st St. Probably looking at some places in Oliver as a possibility. Any suggestions on areas a single, late-20's newcomer (I was born in Edmonton but haven't lived there in 21 years) should set up? Or avoid?

Flickr

Old Posted Aug 13, 2015, 2:41 AM

Quote:
Is that something permanent?
Yep - that is year round now.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2015, 2:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christopherj View Post
Yep - that is year round now.
Nice. Any plans to make it look more permanent (i.e. block it off with permanent railings and make the street paving stones or something) rather than just wooden roadwork signs?

Old Posted Aug 13, 2015, 3:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris2k7 View Post
Looking for some accommodations in Edmonton. Working downtown near 101st St. Probably looking at some places in Oliver as a possibility. Any suggestions on areas a single, late-20's newcomer (I was born in Edmonton but haven't lived there in 21 years) should set up? Or avoid?
On my recent condo-hunting trip (also returning to the city after a long absence, though I have a wife and children/dogs to deal with) I identified 2 places as the most desirable (for my purposes anyway) in the downtown/Oliver region. 104 street and a sort of triangle of streets south of Jasper Ave close to Grandin station and between around 110 and 114 streets. The former is what I ultimately ended up with and I love it so far--it is just as good as where I was in Chicago previously (though obviously it's much smaller in scope). Very pedestrian friendly, some nice restaurants and little boutiques and a very neighborly yet sophisticated feel; in some ways its a hive of activity but it's also quiet and peaceful in its own way. The Grandin area is closer to the river valley and it's lovely trails and parks as well as the gorgeous legislative grounds and is a little leafier and more established. This said, anything south of 105 ave or so, and between 124 street and 97 street potentially has a lot to offer (though you'll find the urban fabric is torn up in some areas, like 106 street for example, by a wasteland of surface parking lots); 97 street and east and areas north of 104/5 aves get less desirable and quite sketchy in parts but that doesn't mean they are no-go areas completely. There are of course many other areas of the city that would involve longer commutes.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2015, 3:01 PM
Community Guy

Quote:
Check out McKay, 104st-106st from 100ave-98ave, lots of choices and a great Downtown but not Downtown hood, tis where I live.

Expensive, but awesome views and location

http://rentedmontonhouse.ca/

Old Posted Aug 13, 2015, 3:54 PM
Klatuu Barada Nikto

With the new arrivals coming in, we should do another SSP beer meetup soon.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2015, 4:08 PM

Quote:
I lived in The Palisades, which are owned by Boardwalk for 3 years. Reasonably quiet, well maintained. If you can get by without a dishwasher and insuite laundry check it out! http://www.bwalk.com/en-CA/Rent/Details/Alberta/Edmonton/The-Palisades

A nice feature is it is reasonably close to the Holiday Inn Express, so there are always cabs nearby, or a known place to call them to.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2015, 5:30 PM
Community Guy

^^concur.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2015, 6:35 PM

Quote:
I just recently moved into Century on 104 Street and I love it. If you want the best downtown experience, 104 is currently that IMO. And if you are working on 101 Street, it will be the shortest walk to work you can find.

Icon buildings are nice but you will find cheaper rates in the Century. Here's a one bedroom in the Century..

https://edmonton.rentfaster.ca/edmon...ntury-on-30081

Old Posted Aug 14, 2015, 6:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4.audios View Post
I just recently moved into Century on 104 Street and I love it. If you want the best downtown experience, 104 is currently that IMO. And if you are working on 101 Street, it will be the shortest walk to work you can find.

Icon buildings are nice but you will find cheaper rates in the Century. Here's a one bedroom in the Century..

https://edmonton.rentfaster.ca/edmon...ntury-on-30081
Its nicer than I thought.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2015, 7:04 PM

If I was buying in Edmonton The Century would be my target of choice. Great balance between older but still on the new side.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2015, 3:27 AM

Quote:
Nice. Any plans to make it look more permanent (i.e. block it off with permanent railings and make the street paving stones or something) rather than just wooden roadwork signs?
I forget what is there now - but at one point they had some fairly nice plants, etc there looked semi-permanent. I don't think they can do anything completely permanent however as that is the main access point if they are getting things into Churchill Square (e.g. portable stages for various events, food trucks during lunch time, etc).

Old Posted Aug 15, 2015, 4:57 AM

Edmonton actually has a decent downtown population and of course that will only increase.

The problem with Edmonton is not the people as much as the urban form. Edmonton's urban form is unique in Canada. There is not one "complete" street in the entire downtown. You walk along one block and see a restaurant, beside an office building with a solid concrete wall, beside a parkade, beside a bank, beside a store, beside a parking lot, beside an entry to a mall.................there is not one street with a constant urban form. This disjointed urban fabric makes for a sterile environment and makes for a higher perceived level of danger.

There is no where to go downtown to "sit and people watch".

Edmonton should make a solid decision and spend money on ONE street and stick with it. Go all out and create a total pedestrian street with give incentives for businesses to reopen their street frontage, give preferences to restaurants and cafes, only allow development that has retail at street level {banks need not apply} and create a real "strip".

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton