HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Toronto

Old Posted May 27, 2014, 9:00 PM

Mirvish + Gehry has been re-designed. The Toronto Star has just published some photos of the most recent models here. The most evident change is that the third (westernmost) tower is now gone, meaning that the Princess of Wales threatre and heritage warehouse at 322 King Street West have been spared. It also appears that the terracota façade of the Anderson Building at 284 King Street West will be integrated into the podium of the (now) westernmost tower.

Edit: Globe and Mail is reporting the heights at 92 floors (304.3m/998.4 ft) and 82 floors.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...board/follows/

The loss of the billowing glass sheets on the podium is unfortunate but to be honest I was sceptical that they would ever be able to pull it off. The luxury condo market in the city is tapped out, so if this project were to ever sell enough units to actually get built it would have to target the mid-market buyer. Just speaking economically, there's no doubt that this project would have to be cost engineered down from the initial pie-in-the-sky models, and those kinds of flourishes are often the first thing to go. I'm actually heartened to see that the designs look much more like something that could realistically be built. Architecturally speaking I need to see some clearer renderings before making a judgement on the new design.

On the bright side, I love that we'll get to keep the Princess of Wales. When the theatre crowds are out and about it adds some real charm to King Street.

Last edited by Ramako; May 27, 2014 at 9:33 PM.

Old Posted May 27, 2014, 9:35 PM

I liked the old centre tower design much better than the new one. However the east tower has made an improvement.

Old Posted May 27, 2014, 9:36 PM

And the biggest news of all, it has planning staff's support:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...board/follows/

Quote:
Toronto’s head planner, Jennifer Keesmaat, said it is wrong to call the new plan a compromise. “It’s a new project that’s better than the project that existed before,” she said.

Ms. Keesmaat said planning staff are “absolutely thrilled” with the result. “Frank Gehry has been able to use his creativity to come up with a proposal that, quite frankly, exceeded my expectations about how you could have a tremendous amount of development on this site and at the same time be very true to its historical context.”

While the block would get a taller tower, Ms. Keesmaat said its slender profile would reduce shadows.

Old Posted May 28, 2014, 2:44 AM

A couple more shots of Mirvish+Gehry from SLOCRO at Urban Toronto:

Old Posted May 28, 2014, 7:29 PM

More photos from BlogTO:

Old Posted May 29, 2014, 9:47 PM

Note to Gehry: Get rid of the tacky jenga look and embrace conservative setbacks similar to 8 Spruce Street.

Though I must admit I love the tear in the taller tower. Great concept.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2014, 5:57 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaletown_fella View Post
Note to Gehry: Get rid of the tacky jenga look and embrace conservative setbacks similar to 8 Spruce Street.

Though I must admit I love the tear in the taller tower. Great concept.
There will be many many revisions till he gets to the finished product. He's publicly stated so.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2014, 4:12 PM

New rendering for a shortened 37 Yorkville, from Urban Toronto:

Old Posted Aug 10, 2014, 1:56 AM
Urban Fanactic

Sales centre under construction at the site of Eau de Soleil Condo's at Lakeshore Boulevard West and Marine Parade Drive.

Picture by me.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2014, 1:52 AM

News on CityPlace's 'Signature' towers:

Quote:
23 SPADINA AVE
Ward 20 - Tor & E.York District

Application for a Zoning By-law Amendment and Site Plan Approval to permit redevelopment of the block with two residential condominium towers of 79 and 68 storeys, inclusive of a 10 storey mixed use podium comprised of retail, office, residential dwelling units and accessory uses.
Proposed Use --- # of Storeys --- # of Units ---
Applications:
Type Number Date Submitted Status
Site Plan Approval 14 204227 STE 20 SA Aug 11, 2014 Under Review
Rezoning 14 204219 STE 20 OZ Aug 11, 2014 Under Review

Assuming that the 10-storey podium will contain all the office and retail, I'd guess that the 79 storey tower would hit about 270 metres.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2014, 10:26 PM

Demolition progressing for Massey Tower:

Massey Tower by Ramako, on Flickr

Old Posted Dec 13, 2014, 5:10 AM

Old Posted Feb 7, 2015, 4:21 PM

New 45-storey office tower proposed by Oxford Properties for Southcore at 30 Bay Street. Architect is Kohn Pederson Fox.

http://urbantoronto.ca/news/2015/01/...t-office-tower

Old Posted Feb 7, 2015, 4:28 PM

Madison Homes is proposing this interesting 67-storey 'O' shaped hotel and condo tower for the Entertainment District at 15-35 Mercer Street. Rumour is that the hotel will be W Hotel.

The facade of the existing heritage building would be preserved. Architect is Teeple (who did Picasso Condos).

All image (and more details) can be found here: http://urbantoronto.ca/news/2015/02/...d-tower-mercer

Old Posted Feb 7, 2015, 4:33 PM

State Building Group is proposing four towers at 400 Street West designed by aA, with the tallest being 58 storeys/198 metres and 60 storeys/200 metres. Apparently the site will feature a grocery store and retail-lined midblock pedestrian walkways.

Images (and more details) can be found here: http://urbantoronto.ca/news/2015/02/...building-group

Old Posted Feb 7, 2015, 4:38 PM

Yet another major proposal, this time for 1 Eglinton East. This would be 68 storey/227.8 metres tower with condos on top and office at the bottom (replacing most of the office space in the office building currently on the site. Architect is Hariri Pontarini.

All images (and more details) can be found here: http://urbantoronto.ca/news/2015/02/...-eglinton-east

Old Posted Oct 2, 2015, 4:52 PM

Eaton Chelsea Hotel Redevelopment

A large multi-tower development has been proposed at the current site of the Eaton Chelsea hotel consisting of an 80 story tower, 74 story tower, a 50 story tower, a 47 story tower, and a mid-rise office building.

Quote:
Yonge and Gerrard might look a lot different in the near future thanks to a massive new development proposal that aims to makeover the site currently occupied by the Eaton Chelsea Hotel. This will join another mega project already in the works at the southeast corner.

The area is currently home to Aura, which at 78 storeys is the tallest residential building in Canada. But according to Urban Toronto, there's a redevelopment plan in the works for four mixed-use towers -- proposed at 80, 74, 50 and 46 storeys -- that'll bring nearly 1,900 additional residential units as well as 300 hotel rooms to this already busy intersection.

The rezoning application also includes a fifth retail and commercial building, a pedestrian pathway that'll run between Gerrard and Elm and plans to reconnect Walton Street. In other words, Yonge and Gerrard is set to rival Yonge and Bloor in terms of soaring development.

Given the early state of the application, however, there's no certainty that this development will unfold as proposed.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2015, 3:52 PM
Midtowner since 2K

Definitely hyped to hear that 181 Bay, 160 Front, and Union Centre are proposals, I think we need a new Landmark office in downtown, not some Boxy thing like Bay Adelaide Centre, but a truly grandiose office to really show Toronto's financial heart.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2015, 2:10 AM
Urban Fanactic

Site of One Bloor West.

Picture by me.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2015, 5:23 PM
Midtowner since 2K

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwils01 View Post
Site of One Bloor West.

Picture by me.
Definitely hyped for this development! Yonge & Bloor will definitely look a lot more dominating on the surrounding area.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Toronto