HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Jun 27, 2015, 2:37 PM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Don't listen to Radio Active on CBC a lot but caught this segment. Apparently 70% of the retail sign on Whyte Ave don't meet the signage guidelines.

https://soundcloud.com/cbc-edmonton/...need-to-comply

Old Posted Jul 7, 2015, 1:47 AM

Permanent Records going out of business
http://www.edmontonjournal.com/enter...710/story.html

Old Posted Jul 7, 2015, 2:56 AM
Community Guy

Unfortunate, but a sign of the times?

Whyte better have one of those defibrillators kicking around.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jul 7, 2015, 6:39 AM

Whyte Ave's character takes another hit. Well will still have the Army & Navy!

Old Posted Aug 9, 2015, 4:44 PM
Community Guy

Old Posted Aug 9, 2015, 5:06 PM

^ is there anything in that retail space now? Or is it just sitting empty?

Old Posted Aug 9, 2015, 5:15 PM
Community Guy

Storage...

Old Posted Aug 9, 2015, 7:46 PM
Urbis Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Storage...
Brutal use of space. When does the lease run out for Enbridge on that space?

Old Posted Aug 14, 2015, 7:54 PM

Luxury brands eye Edmonton, retail expert says
http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...981/story.html

Quote:
Edmonton and Calgary are poised for growth in their luxury shopping markets despite the economic gloom cast by low oil prices, a national retail consultant says.

West Edmonton Mall’s pursuit of more high-end stores and new opportunities for upscale retail in Edmonton’s Ice District – the retail and entertainment area around the new downtown arena – and Calgary’s Mount Royal Village are attracting attention from U.S. and European luxury brands, Brian Winston said.

He’s the head of Toronto-based Winston Collective, a firm that works with high-end retailers to expand operations in Canada and the U.S.

“There are projects that are going on to redevelopment with some large land developers,” Winston said.

“There is an increase of square footage that’s going to be available within these cities and it is going to attract what we refer to as affordable lifestyle luxury. Those are things that are not as uptight as a Gucci or Louis Vuitton, but more geared to lifestyle or sport style – things that relate to people’s existence as it exists right now.”

He lists brands such as Brunello Cucinelli, Fabiana Fillipi and Longchamp. “They’re a bit of a stretch but not so much of a stretch financially.”

Winston also believes there’s pent-up demand for higher-end shopping in Edmonton.

“People may be shopping a great deal when they’re on holiday or at a second home or when they visit relatives because they don’t have these options available,” he said.

Edmonton already made it onto the Winston Collective’s 2015 list of Canada’s top 10 luxury areas, based on the number of ultra-swank retailers, but just barely.

West Edmonton Mall was ranked No. 10, based on the presence of luxury brands Hugo Boss and Tiffany & Co.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2015, 1:48 AM
Community Guy

Good on Oxford. Secure bike storage.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/healt...798/story.html

Old Posted Sep 9, 2015, 2:47 AM
So very tired...

^ Until they get rid of those hideously obnoxious dog-whistle sirens in their parkades and deal with beer drinking/drug use in a reasonable fashion Oxford can go to hell.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2015, 3:02 AM
Community Guy

They have to deal with a lot of issues though, they can do better but I can understand there frustrations with people who abuse their property, our property and disrespect many things.

I have compassion, sympathy, but little patience for people who have little respect for others.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2015, 2:09 AM

MEC moving to Brewery District
http://www.edmontonjournal.com/busin...324/story.html

Quote:
MEC is moving its Edmonton store a few blocks east to the new development where the former Molson Brewery once operated, the outdoor retailer said Wednesday.

The new store will open in spring 2017 in a larger, purpose-built location in the mixed-use project currently under construction at 104th Avenue and 120th Street referred to by the developer as the Brewery District.

Edmonton’s only MEC opened in 1998 in a former supermarket at 12328 102nd Avenue.

“We’ve outgrown our existing space and have been planning to relocate the store for several years,” said chief financial officer Sandy Treagus for Vancouver-based MEC.

“We seized the opportunity to relocate MEC Edmonton to the Brewery District, as it allows us to remain in the core and to be an integral part of a vibrant mixed-use urban development.”

Currently in the planning stages, the two-storey, 38,000-square-foot store will allow the retail co-operative to expand its product assortment, improve its merchandising and allow easier access. The Edmonton store has 197,000 members. It sells outdoor apparel, camping and sports equipment, bicycles and kayaks.

The look will adopt the “developed over time” character of the “Brewery District” and be built to achieve a minimum of LEED Silver certification.

Construction of the new store starts in April and lasts about a year. The current store will remain open until the new location is completed.

The Brewery District, incorporating the 1913 Molson Brewery building, is a project of First Capital Realty and Sun Life Investment Management. Tenants announced so far for the strip mall include Loblaws City Market, Shoppers Drug Mart and a GoodLife fitness centre.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2015, 1:31 PM

It has occurred to me that CTV Morning show hasn't had Chuck Clubine of the Trikon Group on their show for a while. Could it be because of his refuted rumors of Nordstrom coming to EAD, and Macy's to WEM?

Old Posted Sep 10, 2015, 4:19 PM
Kevin Folds Five

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallsy's Toupee View Post
Aw man, I loved that location for MEC. Hope they close the space with something useful ..

Old Posted Sep 10, 2015, 4:38 PM
Community Guy

Yup, far less likely to go to their new location.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2015, 2:43 AM

Quote:
Did you really ever go there?

Old Posted Sep 11, 2015, 2:53 AM

I sure as heck do. Every 2 weeks. I am always buying something or the other. Then I walk the area, checking small shops out, grab a coffee etc. It has "street" appeal unlike the ugly appeal of a parking lot experience.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2015, 9:53 AM
So very tired...

Quote:
They have to deal with a lot of issues though, they can do better but I can understand there frustrations with people who abuse their property, our property and disrespect many things.

I have compassion, sympathy, but little patience for people who have little respect for others.
Any 'solution' to loitering/drinking which equally punishes their paying customers (and unsuspecting passerbys just walking down the street) is a massive fail, and rather offensive IMO. How about sending the guards around from time to time? They can't get there fast enough to chase me away just for taking pictures so they're obviously not that busy.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2015, 3:36 PM
Urban Advocate

Quote:
LOL. STFU.... It's moving 4 blocks away. The Brewery District, albeit rather suburban in design, is still going to be nice and will serve MEC well. Hell, it goes from being a 3 minute bike ride away to a 1 minute bike ride for me now.
Cities are the most extraordinary human creation. They are this phenomenon which has unbelievable capacity to solve problems, to innovate, to invent, to create prosperity, to make change and continually reform. - Ken Greenburg

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton