HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Jul 3, 2015, 8:59 PM

Jasper National Park - improvement wishlist?

Jasper National Park getting $210M fix
http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...411/story.html

Quote:
Roads, campgrounds and heritage buildings in Jasper National Park will be spruced up in a $210-million investment, the federal government said Thursday.

The infrastructure and conservation improvements include extensive work on Highway 16 and the Icefields Parkway.

Campgrounds will be revitalized and heritage buildings such as the Jasper Fire Hall, an interpretive centre in the town, will be renovated.

The Valley of Five Lakes trail and parking lot will be upgraded. Work is planned for nine bridges on Highway 16 to ensure their long-term integrity and safety.

Parks Canada said money will also aid species at risk recovery through southern mountain caribou and whitebark pine conservation.
Some of the work is already underway and will continue over the next five years.

In a written statement, Yellowhead MP Jim Eglinski, said the money “will create and protect jobs and opportunities in the area while also offering excellent opportunities for Canadians to be able to connect with nature, learn and to be inspired.”

The government says it is spending more than $500 million in highway infrastructure on regional national parks, including Banff, Glacier, Jasper, Kootenay, Mount Revelstoke and Yoho.
What improvements would you want for Jasper National Park?

First and foremost, the Yellowhead Highway. It's unfortunate that our major commercial and travel corridors pass right through our national parks, but that decision was made back in the horse and buggy days. Ideally I would like to see a new twinned Yellowhead through Jasper park, and maybe likewise through Robson, and turn the existing highway into a Bow Valley Parkway type of road. If that's not feasible, then at least build some passing lanes and wildlife corridors for the existing road.

I'd like to see improvements at Miette Hot Springs. The access road needs an upgrade, and more accommodations wouldn't hurt. This could potentially be another Radium but it's isolated and is closed for half the year.

Another ski resort outside of the park boundary, if possible?

Old Posted Jul 3, 2015, 9:07 PM
HVAC guru

Top of my list, for the love of god, please put in through lanes at the gates

Old Posted Jul 3, 2015, 9:23 PM
Kevin Folds Five

^ Yes, please. Please...!

Also, I know a ski resort is being master planned (has been for quite some time... i.e. 10+ Years) for Valemount. TBH, that's a lot of dough to spend for potentially a fairly remote ski area...

I'd rather see a ski resort this side of the park. Like folding mountain which is out of the park; or near Luscar (old mining town down the forestry trunk road south of the park gates).

Anyone have a spare $100,000,000?

Old Posted Jul 3, 2015, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240glt View Post
It would be such an easy and relatively inexpensive addition too. Needs to be part of the improvements!

Since a twinned highway & Bow Valley Pkwy treatment of the existing YH is years and years away yet, I'd love to just see some passing lanes and further expanded shoulders to help with the tourist traffic.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2015, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240glt View Post
God yes. I have been lucky that i travel there early in the day but a few times i gets stuck behind someone that has way to many questions.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2015, 2:24 AM
Community Guy

New/renovated hotels.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jul 4, 2015, 3:33 AM
Sex Marxist of Notleygrad

I remember a plan for Folding Mountain back in the 60's or 70's. I'd love to see that realized as well as ones for Canoe Mountain and the range West of Valemount as well... That would create a critical cluster of ski resorts besides just Marmot.

I second that on the hotels. Last time I stayed in Jasper, I spent 50% more for a room than Banff for something of a third the quality...

Old Posted Jul 4, 2015, 5:55 PM

Is there a suitable location for another ski mountain east of Jasper but outside the park boundary? That could be the impetus for a Kananaskis north, so to speak.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2015, 1:30 AM
Sex Marxist of Notleygrad

Folding Mountain is outside Jasper National Park, just barely... There is a dinky "village" where there was to be a proper townsite/village from what I've seen on real estate websites selling lots... From what the survey said about the site, the plan was for a ski resort in similar scale as Sun Valley, Idaho...

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton