HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Apr 7, 2013, 4:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
The only building at that location with Corinthian columns has over-sized cartouches (sp) between the columns and the 1st and 2nd floor. Am I looking at the wrong building SoCal1954?

gsv
__
Yes, that's the bldg. I was looking at.

Where they (appear) to have the roll down doors, looks like it fits the openings at the front of the older photo. We are, however, missing the artwork with the face and what looks like a shield, above the windows? Although, the address is very close, but subject to change over the years. In fact, the address they moved to, 398 W. 6th, does not appear to exist anymore. Many times over the years, addresses get realigned when bldgs. are removed.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2013, 4:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal1954 View Post
Yes, that's the bldg. I was looking at.

Where they (appear) to have the roll down doors, looks like it fits the openings at the front of the older photo. We are, however, missing the artwork with the face and what looks like a shield, above the windows? Although, the address is very close, but subject to change over the years. In fact, the address they moved to, 398 W. 6th, does not appear to exist anymore. Many times over the years, addresses get realigned when bldgs. are removed.
I must disagree about this building. I'm not really seeing anything that matches - square columns vs. round, no brick, giant cartouches, etc. And the street is slanted on the old pic.

I am thinking the 1979 pic is 205 W. 6th in San Pedro, now gone.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2013, 4:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetM View Post
I must disagree about this building. I'm not really seeing anything that matches - square columns vs. round, no brick, giant cartouches, etc. And the street is slanted on the old pic.

I am thinking the 1979 pic is 205 W. 6th in San Pedro, now gone.

I think this is true; and that explains why I could not locate the 398 address too--it was the other end of 6th!! The flat vs. more round middle columns didn't jump out at me until I put on my reading glasses.

I wonder what the history is on this, still very nice, bldg.??

Old Posted Apr 7, 2013, 5:17 AM

If the 205 address is in LA, that would place it on the north side of the street meaning the arrow was pointing east (away from 398 W 6th). San Pedro addresses are the other way around, with the odd-numbered addresses on the south. But the site of 205 W 6th in San Pedro is flat as a pancake. W/e 205 is, I don't think it's on W 6th.

I think this Yavno's called, "Abandoned Brick Building, Signs" - Los Angeles Documentary Project (1979-1980). No hint as to specific location, just LA.

http://articles.latimes.com/1985-04-...04_1_max-yavno

Last edited by tovangar2; Jun 20, 2015 at 10:58 PM. Reason: add P.S.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2013, 6:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tovangar2 View Post
If the 205 address is in LA, that would place it on the north side of the street meaning the arrow was pointing east. San Pedro addresses are the other way around, with the odd-numbered addresses on the south. But the site of 205 W 6th in San Pedro is flat as a pancake. W/e 205 is, I don't think it's on W 6th.
Here's a Google Street View of the approximate site of 205 W. 6th in San Pedro:

There is a definite hill here. It's somewhat visible on the front steps, but particularly noticeable on the darker pink lower portion of the wall - at the left edge of the photo it's over a foot high, but tapers down to zero just past the right edge of the photo.

Looking at the opposite side of the street via this Google Street View link, you can see the front steps on that building disappear one by one as you get further from the corner.

I followed the link in the original post for a slightly larger image, which is how I noticed that it said San Pedro:

I took a look at historicaerials.com and although it's not helpful from a frontage standpoint, it does show a host of side-by-side commercial buildings on this block through 1972. Then in a 1980 aerial, the entire block has been cleared. So, my powers of deductive reasoning (aka total speculation) lead me to believe that the pawn shop had just moved in 1979 because that entire block was about to be torn down.

EDIT: one more thing I found: although I came up empty on any other pictures of the building, I found mention of the address on this web page. The Electric Theatre opened at 205 W. 6th in 1907, followed later by the Olympic Theater and the Union Theater.

Last edited by ProphetM; Apr 7, 2013 at 6:36 AM. Reason: added building info

Old Posted Apr 7, 2013, 6:26 AM

Last edited by tovangar2; Jun 20, 2015 at 10:59 PM.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2013, 6:29 AM

Quote:
. So, my powers of deductive reasoning (aka total speculation) lead me to believe that the pawn shop had just moved in 1979 because that entire block was about to be torn down.
LOL, you got me, as usual PM. If it's in San Pedro, at least the arrow is pointing the right way!

Old Posted Apr 7, 2013, 3:29 PM

Quote:
Here's a Google Street View of the approximate site of 205 W. 6th in San Pedro:

There is a definite hill here. It's somewhat visible on the front steps, but particularly noticeable on the darker pink lower portion of the wall - at the left edge of the photo it's over a foot high, but tapers down to zero just past the right edge of the photo.

Looking at the opposite side of the street via this Google Street View link, you can see the front steps on that building disappear one by one as you get further from the corner.

I followed the link in the original post for a slightly larger image, which is how I noticed that it said San Pedro:

I took a look at historicaerials.com and although it's not helpful from a frontage standpoint, it does show a host of side-by-side commercial buildings on this block through 1972. Then in a 1980 aerial, the entire block has been cleared. So, my powers of deductive reasoning (aka total speculation) lead me to believe that the pawn shop had just moved in 1979 because that entire block was about to be torn down.

EDIT: one more thing I found: although I came up empty on any other pictures of the building, I found mention of the address on this web page. The Electric Theatre opened at 205 W. 6th in 1907, followed later by the Olympic Theater and the Union Theater.

This all makes sense, and fitting the pieces of the puzzle, all appears logical to me. Furthermore, the parking meter is still there, in about the same location...LOL

Old Posted Apr 7, 2013, 4:32 PM

Here is a fabulous piece of Retro-L.A. artwork; which you forum members should enjoy!

This was painted by the great American artist, Stan Stokes, who is especially noted for his fabulous Aviation Art.

His artwork appears within multiple Presidential Libraries.

I own this (printed on metal) version of his 'Welcome to L.A.' piece.

His prints, paintings and signed works are available online, under his name.

In 1955, the California Highway Patrol placed a large fleet order (270) for Century 2-door sedans, a body style unavailable to the general public. It combined the Special 2-door sedan body shell with Century powertrain and trim.

Only two of these original CHP 1955 Buicks are known to still exist; however, there are multiple 'clones' across the country. My dad bought the (public) 4-door version in 1955. I remember many road trips, throughout SoCal, in that comfortable car. BTW, the other red car, is a 1954 Buick Skylark Convertible. Furthermore, for perspective, this is a view you may have had at that time, somewhere just off the Hollywood Fwy., near the SR-110 connector to the US-101.

From my personal file.

Last edited by SoCal1954; Apr 7, 2013 at 6:20 PM. Reason: Add additional info:

Old Posted Apr 7, 2013, 6:58 PM

I seldom bid on items on ebay, but I did with this 1922 Los Angeles Apartment Directory.
I didn't win the auction -this is the only fragment I have...a portion of page one

I searched some of the addresses and found this little jewel of an apartment named the Beverly on Bonnie Brae.

gsv

Notice the sparkly sign above the front door. It's still named the Beverly! How cool is that?

What architectural style is this? I'm baffled.

gsv

Old Posted Apr 7, 2013, 7:05 PM

My other find form the 1922 directly is the Adrain on Sunset Boulevard.

ebay

gsv

aerial: that's it in the middle with the dark roof. notice the odd angles.

google earth
__

Old Posted Apr 7, 2013, 8:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal1954 View Post
The Dairy Queen, at that site, is no more.

I think it shows up in an episode in the first season of the TV series "Adam-12".

Old Posted Apr 7, 2013, 8:34 PM

I know we've discussed the Friday Morning Club in the past but I don't remember this particular building.

ebay

My initial search led me to this note card.

http://lib.calpoly.edu/specialcollec.../projectindex/

N.E. corner of Adams and Hoover Streets?

http://hdl.huntington.org/

Subsequent searches place the building at 940 S. Figueroa...the site of The Playhouse.

http://digital2.library.ucla.edu/

I guess I never contemplated what stood at 940 S. Figueroa prior to 1923. Duh!

makes sense though.

usc detail

So what to make of that Julia Morgan note card? What stood at the N.E. corner of Adams & Hoover?

Playhouse post by BigRayRockon with lots of great photographs.
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=9393

and by GaylordWilshire
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=3315
__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Apr 7, 2013 at 8:56 PM.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2013, 9:18 PM

Quote:
My other find form the 1922 directly is the Adrain on Sunset Boulevard.

ebay

gsv

aerial: that's it in the middle with the dark roof. notice the odd angles.

google earth
__
My folks lived in an apartment building at 440 S. Bonnie Brae in the early fifties...was wondering if it is listed in your apartment guide at an earlier year and what it was called?

Old Posted Apr 7, 2013, 9:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbpjr View Post
My folks lived in an apartment building at 440 S. Bonnie Brae in the early fifties...was wondering if it is listed in your apartment guide at an earlier year and what it was called?
rbpjr, I didn't win the bid for the apartment guide. All I have is that photo they used on ebay.
If I owned the directory, I would certainly have looked it up for you.
__

Old Posted Apr 7, 2013, 10:45 PM

Quote:
rbpjr, I didn't win the bid for the apartment guide. All I have is that photo they used on ebay.
If I owned the directory, I would certainly have looked it up for you.
__
When I went back and reread your post I realized you didn't, indeed, have the directory...I need to slow down and read each post more carefully...thanks for your reply...

Old Posted Apr 7, 2013, 10:50 PM

Quote:

The Fine Arts building (described as 'moorish') burnt down in December 1909. In 1911 a two story shingled bungalow/craftsman was built
on the site. Nine years later the school moved to the USC campus in south Los Angeles *.

*There is an interesting second chapter to this story that I'll post later.
__

Here is the rest of the story.

The "1911 two story shingled crasftman/bungalow" mentioned above became the oldest family run art glass studio in the world.
The Judson Studios produced stained glass features in many prominent buildings in the theater district of downtown Los Angeles, and also
in the atrium of the Los Angeles Public Library. (as well as stained glass for two Frank Lloyd Wright projects, the Barnsdall and Ennis homes)

Train and Williams, Architects

Michael Locke http://www.flickr.com/photos/michael...n/photostream/

view from Thorne Street

gsv

close up entrance

http://www.xcentricla.blogspot.com/

wonderful details

Floyd B. Bariscale http://www.flickr.com/photos/7294653@N07/

motto WE CAN

workshop

http://www.xcentricla.blogspot.com/#...s-studios.html

soooo cool. I love this old place.

http://www.theeastsiderla.com/

out front

http://www.xcentricla.blogspot.com/

google earth

...and they have tours!
__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Apr 7, 2013 at 11:40 PM.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2013, 11:04 PM

E-R, really cool stuff!!

So much detail!!

This site will become a historical reference point, for years to come!!

Old Posted Apr 7, 2013, 11:07 PM

Quote:
I know we've discussed the Friday Morning Club in the past but I don't remember this particular building.

N.E. corner of Adams and Hoover Streets?

http://hdl.huntington.org/

So what to make of that Julia Morgan note card? What stood at the N.E. corner of Adams & Hoover?
__
Progressive Caroline Severance (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caroline_Severance), abolitionist and suffragist, started the Friday Morning Club in 1881 at the old Hollenbeck Hotel (SW corner of Spring & 2nd). Severance and her husband lived in a little house at 806 W Adams (now at the SE corner of Severance St). That's only two blocks from Adams and Hoover, so the club may have met in a building there. Severance also started the First Unitarian Church of Los Angeles (the Church of the Unity) in 1877 in her home (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_U...of_Los_Angeles), which has been covered extensively on this thread, mostly in excellent posts by GW

The Church of of the Unity/ First Unitarian Church was moved to the same block as the Friday Morning Club, but facing on Flower, both established there in 1900. The Hotel Figueroa, "the largest project of its kind to be built, financed, owned and operated by women." (http://losangelesrevisited.blogspot....reet-name.html), was built across from the Friday Morning Club in 1926, two years after the clubhouse had been rebuilt as the Variety Arts Center. Irving Gill, a strong supporter of Progressive causes, including women's rights, had his offices on the west side of Figueroa, opposite the Friday Morning Club. (http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=11815) from 1913 to 1928.

There's been a strong Progressive tradition in Los Angeles all along, supporting democracy, including civil rights and equal rights for all. The leaders in the earlier days included Francisco Ramirez, John Frémont, Pio Pico, Hugo Reid, Luis Vignes, Agustin Olvera, Henry T. Hazard and many, many others. They were in conflict with the reactionary contingent, the Chivalry Democrats (mostly settlers from from the American South and the "pure-Spanish-blood" ranch-owning elite), who favored a patriarchal system consisting of an small, self-styled aristocracy and a vast peonage (without a middle class) based on the system in force in Dixie.

Sorry, that really didn't answer your question did it? But you know how I get.

There's another of those guides up on ebay and Abe Books carries them quite often

Last edited by tovangar2; Jun 20, 2015 at 11:19 PM.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2013, 11:49 PM

Thanks for the information T2. Very interesting! (and yes, that looks like the same apartment guide)
__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Apr 8, 2013 at 3:25 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos