HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Oct 28, 2019, 4:02 PM

I can't remember if I have post this excellent cabinet card on NLA. (I've had in it my file for quite some time) I came across it in the University of Las Vegas Digital Archives.

Here's goes. . .

UNLA

Title
Photograph of Postal Telegraph office employees, Los Angeles, California, circa 1909-1910
Description
A group of young boys, who work for the Postal Telegraph office, standing in front of the Telegraph office with their bikes.
Clarence Stocker is the third from the left in Los Angeles, California.

Does anyone know what street this Telegram office was located?

Here's a closer look at these hard working young lads.

If you look closely there are reflections in the windows - - particularly on the left. ... Hmmm...do I see the word, Rock?

Old Posted Oct 28, 2019, 4:18 PM

rescarta.lapl.org

The Postal Telegraph - Cable Company.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2019, 5:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post

'mystery' hotel or 'mystery' Hospital?

Seller's description:

VINTAGE PHOTOGRAPH 1925-35 LOS ANGELES CALIFORNIA HOTEL BUILDING OLD CARS PHOTO.... eBay

eBay

Instead of a hotel (as stated by the seller) I think this building is possibly be a hospital.

I believe it might be the old Queen of Angels Hospital...or...umm..the Tuberculosis Annex at the County Hospital...or..ummm. . .
I found a similar image at theoldmotor.com. The text below is from there:
"This installment in the Sunset Boulevard Series takes us to St. Vincent Hospital in Los Angeles, California. Built in 1884 at the intersection of Sunset and North Beaudry Avenue it was in operation for ninety years until 1974 when a new Hospital was constructed at 2131 West Third Street, in Los Angeles. This structure was demolished after the move to the new building.

The lead image and the two enlargeable views of the Hospital dated 1937 show a number of automobiles parked on Sunset Boulevard and the cross street on the left-hand side of the Health Center. The earliest car in the scene located just to the left of center in the photo above is a mid-to-late-twenties Dodge touring car with disc wheels"
Although St Vincent Hospital appears at that location on the Baist maps, aerial views show the building there disappearing much earlier. Then I looked at the USC's original version of the image posted at themotor.com, and found a street sign for Ocean View Ave/S Lake St, so we're actually looking St Vincent Hospital at the 2131 West 3rd Street address. This building shows up on the views at Historic Aerials until 1972, so it probably was demolished in 1974. You can see the USC image and another here and here.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2019, 6:10 PM

Quote:
A group of young boys, who work for the Postal Telegraph office, standing in front of the Telegraph office with their bikes.

Here's a closer look at these hard working young lads.

When I see photos like this, particularly after last week, when we had the hottest week this year in Los Angeles, it strikes me the clothes they are wearing must've been really uncomfortable and hot,
especially with hats and working those bicycles. (And other photos with men in coat jackets and women wearing long dresses.)

Of course, into the 1960's you'll see photos of people attending baseball games wearing shirts and ties and hats. Were not these people uncomfortable in the clothes they were wearing all the time?
Didn't anyone ever finally cast them off to be cooler?

Then again, Some Like It Hot, but I don't like it when the temperature goes above 70°.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2019, 7:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pal View Post
When I see photos like this, particularly after last week, when we had the hottest week this year in Los Angeles, it strikes me the clothes they are wearing must've been really uncomfortable and hot,
especially with hats and working those bicycles. (And other photos with men in coat jackets and women wearing long dresses.)

Of course, into the 1960's you'll see photos of people attending baseball games wearing shirts and ties and hats. Were not these people uncomfortable in the clothes they were wearing all the time?
Didn't anyone ever finally cast them off to be cooler?

Then again, Some Like It Hot, but I don't like it when the temperature goes above 70°.
It's all relative: The ball game folks had grown up in an era and with an ethos in which men outside of the house wore not only shirts and ties and hats (and, usually, pants) but also suit coats or blazers or the like...

from https://mlbhistory128.wordpress.com/...ry-1930-1950s/

To be in public and not to wear a suit coat? What freedom!!!

As late as the 1970s, I once had an elderly tailor remark, when I walked into his establishment, "Out in your shirtsleeves? Is it hot out?", the implication being that circumstances had to be somewhat abnormal for one to appear in public without a suit coat or the like.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2019, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Props to the guy in the speeding car for keeping it on the road!!!

Is this some sort of fashion statement or did she forget to put on her slacks? (I mean, that looks like the underwear to me)

below, you can see the street signs

I posted the larger pic first for shock value

retrogirly.tumbler

The El Adobe Market is still in business. (if you didn't notice , it's in the background of the 'sessy' pic )

gsv
The chick crossing the street is 40s T&A-Stripper "Donna Mae Busty Brown" if anyone wants to know.

Last edited by jungle jim; Oct 28, 2019 at 10:50 PM. Reason: post photo

Old Posted Oct 28, 2019, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungle jim View Post
The chick crossing the street is 40s T&A-Stripper "Donna Mae Busty Brown" if anyone wants to know.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2019, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungle jim View Post
Thanks for the info, jungle jim!

I Googled "Donna Mae Busty Brown" and found the reverse-angle photo of the scene above.

https://theniftyfifties.tumblr.com/p...the-streets-of

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.1017...4!8i8192?hl=en

Why do they always remove all the details from a building that made it attractive in the first place?

Old Posted Oct 29, 2019, 4:18 PM

Hardly Noirish but definitely L.A.ish

On Sanford and Son, they gave the junkyard an address of 9114 S. Central Avenue which sounded about right for the location. It even shows up on Google Maps sometimes as a point of interest.

Google Maps

Looking at the street view, it is nothing like the building seen in the opening of the show. There is actually no building with that address. The closest is this one at 9110.

GSV

The building used in the opening credits was in North Hollywood, of all places. 10659 West Magnolia Blvd. to be exact. The current building is either completely new or has undergone some extensive remodeling.

GSV

The story is told in great detail in an interesting entry on iamnotastalker.com. There are many details confirming it and it turns out the location was used on an episode of Emergency!, which also aired on NBC around the same time. Read all about it here: http://www.iamnotastalker.com/2017/1...nford-and-son/

http://www.iamnotastalker.com/2017/1...nford-and-son/

Last edited by Bristolian; Oct 29, 2019 at 4:46 PM.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2019, 4:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Charles View Post
Why do they always remove all the details from a building that made it attractive in the first place?
Whenever I find out about the why of that on occasion it always seems to be about being more mindful of earthquakes and a lot of what is removed could fall or break apart in an earthquake. If I'm not mistaken, that area had a lot of damage in the 1994 earthquake.

Or being cheap.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2019, 4:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bristolian View Post
On Sanford and Son, they gave the junkyard an address of 9114 S. Central Avenue which sounded about right for the location. It even shows up on Google Maps sometimes as a point of interest.

Google Maps

Looking at the street view, it is nothing like the building seen in the opening of the show. There is actually no building with that address. The closest is this one at 9110.

GSV

The building used in the opening credits was in North Hollywood, of all places. 10659 West Magnolia Bl to be exact. The current building is either completely new or has undergone some extensive remodeling.

GSV

The story is told in great detail in an interesting entry on iamnotastalker.com. There are many details confirming it and it turns out the location was used on an episode of Emergency!, which also aired on NBC around the same time. Read all about it here: http://www.iamnotastalker.com/2017/1...nford-and-son/

I'm guessing its the same building with a add-on in the front. Look at the roofline/beam thing, it matches up with the one in the Sanford and Sons screenshot.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2019, 4:47 PM

A 'mystery' schoolboy garden, Los Angeles - 1923

eBay

Reverse

Does anyone know what school was located near the California Macaroni Co?

Link

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Oct 29, 2019 at 8:55 PM.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2019, 6:50 PM
BANNED

Quote:

I Googled "Donna Mae Busty Brown" and found the reverse-angle photo of the scene above.

To only add to what Martin wrote. Those old porches were made of wood and they usually rotted after 60 years.
Years ago I was leaning on the balcony like we see in the photos, it gave way and almost killed me. The nails had rusted, the railing collapsed and I almost fell to the sidewalk.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2019, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pal View Post
Whenever I find out about the why of that on occasion it always seems to be about being more mindful of earthquakes and a lot of what is removed could fall or break apart in an earthquake. If I'm not mistaken, that area had a lot of damage in the 1994 earthquake.

Or being cheap.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityBoyDoug View Post
To only add to what Martin wrote. Those old porches were made of wood and they usually rotted after 60 years.
Years ago I was leaning on the balcony like we see in the photos, it gave way and almost killed me. The nails had rusted, the railing collapsed and I almost fell to the sidewalk.
Thanks for the info, gentlemen!

It's a shame, these buildings really lose all of their character once they strip them of all their details. There are some really bad examples of this in downtown.

Glad you didn't get killed, CityBoyDoug!

Old Posted Oct 29, 2019, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bristolian View Post
The building used in the opening credits was in North Hollywood, of all places. 10659 West Magnolia Blvd. to be exact. The current building is either completely new or has undergone some extensive remodeling.

GSV

Wow, I never knew that before!

I loved watching Sanford and Son when I was a little kid... I had no idea the front of the business was filmed less than a half-mile away from my house!

As to whether the current building is the same one that appears in Sanford and Son, this is what the iamnotastalker page says:

Quote:
I next headed over to the Los Angeles Department of Building and Safety website to search building records and quickly discovered that the Sanford and Son Salvage storefront, along with the property next to it at 10661 West Magnolia, were demolished in March 1989. New structures were subsequently built in their place that same year.

So while some have surmised that the locale might have merely been altered in the years since filming took place, I can safely – and sadly – say that is not the case. Sanford and Son Salvage no longer exists.

Last edited by Scott Charles; Oct 29, 2019 at 11:01 PM.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2019, 11:10 PM

Even though all indoor and outdoor scenes from the series were shot on a soundstage, that real-life junk shop in North Hollywood used in the openings really seemed to help give the illusion that the Sanford's business was in the area of South Central Avenue.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2019, 11:38 PM

Quote:

A 'mystery' schoolboy garden, Los Angeles - 1923

eBay

Does anyone know what school was located near the California Macaroni Co?
I think the photo may be earlier than 1923 as I couldn't find the California Macaroni Co in the CDs after 1917. That coincides with the dates of the Monarch Sign Co (small sign under the main one). Here's some addresses I found for the California Macaroni Co:

1902 - 228-230 Aliso
1906 - 801 Lyon
1912 - 226 N Los Angeles
1914 - 1516 Industrial
1917 - 631 San Fernando

The Monarch Sign Co was at 306 Boyd.

Later references I found suggest that there was a California Macaroni Co in San Francisco in 1923.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2019, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
I think the photo may be earlier than 1923 as I couldn't find the California Macaroni Co in the CDs after 1917. That coincides with the dates of the Monarch Sign Co (small sign under the main one). Here's some addresses I found for the California Macaroni Co:

1902 - 228-230 Aliso
1906 - 801 Lyon
1912 - 226 N Los Angeles
1914 - 1516 Industrial
1917 - 631 San Fernando

The Monarch Sign Co was at 306 Boyd.

Later references I found suggest that there was a California Macaroni Co in San Francisco in 1923.
I found a reference to the California Macaroni Company being at Los Angeles and Commercial in 1911, that would comport with your 200 block of North Los Angeles Street.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2019, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillinGlendaleCA View Post
I found a reference to the California Macaroni Company being at Los Angeles and Commercial in 1911, that would comport with your 200 block of North Los Angeles Street.
I wonder if they made other pastas there, like lasagna and spaghetti?

Old Posted Oct 30, 2019, 1:16 AM

Quote:

^ ^
Probably wearing one of Howard Hughes lift bras that he designed for a busty actress friend in one of his films, the one about Billy the Kidd. "The Outlaw". Yes, Hughes did design a bra. Jack of all trades.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos