HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Sep 1, 2015, 6:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
Hennebery Eddy Architects have requested Early Assistance for a project at 110 NE Martin Luther King Jr Blvd, on the same block as their recently completed 107 NE Grand project:
The Vivian Apartments, former very inexpensive apartments, owned by the Stark's Vacuum people.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2015, 6:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65MAX View Post
I like the Flatiron look and it's entirely appropriate for a sharp corner like that. I'm glad they didn't chop off the corner like they did on the Stark/Sandy building.
Agree completely. Love the look. Love the red color. I'm glad to see an awkwardly-shaped block being fully utilized, instead of a developer just putting a square building on it and calling the corners "plazas."

Old Posted Sep 1, 2015, 6:46 AM

Quote:
Hennebery Eddy Architects have requested Early Assistance for a project at 110 NE Martin Luther King Jr Blvd, on the same block as their recently completed 107 NE Grand project:
Quote:
Rehab existing stucture to establish commercial/retail space on grd floor; upgrade apartments on the second & third floors. Alternate plan is to fully gut and re-plan apartment floors and add one floor of apartmentson top of building.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abide View Post
Saw someone who said they used to live in that building bitching about being kicked out by soul-less developers in a Willamette Week comments thread a couple weeks back and thought to myself "wtf." Now it all makes sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Ring View Post
The Vivian Apartments, former very inexpensive apartments, owned by the Stark's Vacuum people.
I'm torn on this one. I hate to see people lose cheap housing, but this does look like it's an unreinforced masonry building. The first plan might not include any seismic upgrade but the alternate plan almost certainly would. Absent large amounts of public money there's not really a way to recover the cost of a seismic upgrade other than through increased rents.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Sep 1, 2015, 7:13 PM

Quote:
Peek inside Ecotrust's sprawling Portland food hub, now looking for tenants (Photos)

Ecotrust is ready to open the doors on its new food center.

The Redd on Salmon, a two-block project in Portland's Central Eastside neighborhood, has made available 20,000 square feet of move-in-ready space for retail, industrial and office use. The project consists of two primary buildings, dubbed Marble and Foundry.

Ecotrust purchased a large industrial warehouse (Foundry) in September. When a large building in the adjacent block (Marble) hit the market, Ecotrust used New Market Tax Credits to buy it as well, swelling the development to 80,000 square feet of potential space.
...continues at the Portland Business Journal.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2015, 12:21 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

Wow. Nice proposal! The colors make sense, since the building directly across the street is entirely painted red - The Rocket.

Hope the apartments are sound proofed - for all the new buildings along Burnside/MLK.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2015, 6:51 AM

Since this project is still not approved:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post
As part of Design Week Portland, hear from the architects of the Yard, Dumbbell and Block 75

Eastside Uprising: The Architects Shaping the Big, New Burnside Bridgehead

Monday, October 12, 2015 from 5:30 PM to 8:00 PM (PDT) Jimmy Mak's - 221 Northwest 10th Avenue

Free tickets at:
http://www.eventbrite.com/e/eastside...=eemailordconf

Old Posted Sep 3, 2015, 4:53 PM

Old Posted Sep 3, 2015, 5:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curt-pdx View Post
Since this project is still not approved:

As part of Design Week Portland, hear from the architects of the Yard, Dumbbell and Block 75

Eastside Uprising: The Architects Shaping the Big, New Burnside Bridgehead

Monday, October 12, 2015 from 5:30 PM to 8:00 PM (PDT) Jimmy Mak's - 221 Northwest 10th Avenue

Free tickets at:
http://www.eventbrite.com/e/eastside...=eemailordconf
that is so ugly

Old Posted Sep 8, 2015, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Photos: 5-story commercial building nears completion in NE Portland

Construction of Framework, a new five-story commercial building at the corner of Northeast Sixth Avenue and Davis Street in Portland, is nearing completion. The project is being built by Yorke & Curtis for developer Urban Development + Partners, and was designed by Works Partnership Architecture.

Framework will house four floors of flexible creative office space over an 1,800-square-foot ground-floor retail space and seven parking spaces. The upper floors measure nearly 5,000 square feet and feature exposed structural glue laminated beams, tongue-and-groove car decking, and floor-to-ceiling windows. The project is slated for completion this month.

...continues at the DJC (no paywall).

Last edited by maccoinnich; Sep 14, 2015 at 7:39 PM.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2015, 6:36 PM

With Orange Line trains, Oregon bioscience community licks its chops over Southeast Portland potential
Sep 10, 2015, 1:50pm PDT Updated Sep 14, 2015, 9:48am PDT
Elizabeth Hayes
Staff Reporter
Portland Business Journal

http://www.bizjournals.com/portland/...T&t=1442255550

Quote:
The association that represents the Oregon bioscience community has its eyes on an emerging real estate opportunity: Portland’s inner southeast quadrant.

Oregon Bio today announced the launch of a Central Eastside Development Task Force to focus on ways to create a future bioscience hub in that area, which is now anchored by OMSI.

It makes sense. The Tilikum Crossing bridge opens next week, along with the Orange Line, connecting the neighborhood with Oregon Health & Science University’s South Waterfront campus, where the Knight Cancer Institute will be constructing a new lab building.

The quadrant also contains a host of industrial buildings that could be renovated for biotech uses and relatively cheap rents. And it’s walkable.

“It’s going to become a very coveted area,” said Adrian Polliack, chief operating officer of Modern Edge, a product development consultancy that is already located in the district.

Dennis McNannay, executive director of Oregon Bio, said a member survey revealed high interest in locating there.

“As soon as they realize it’s going to be a center of gravity, that became the driving force,” McNannay said. “We have a cadre of companies in (the bioscience incubator) OTRADI and more mature ones now looking at this area. It could be a real renaissance for bioscience.”

(continues)...

Last edited by MarkDaMan; Sep 14, 2015 at 6:52 PM.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2015, 4:22 AM

Quote:
Evicted: Towne Storage Building Tenants are Getting the Boot Under New Ownership

The Towne Storage Buidldng in the Central Eastside Industrial District—a five-story building that's been a longtime home to artists, photographers, architects, and other small businesses—has sold and is being gutted for renovation, which means yet another building-wide eviction for Portland.

XRAY.fm this morning first tweeted the news and Josh Sturgis, operations manager at Towne Storage, confirmed that an investment company based in California purchased the building. The new owners have served the 52 business tenants and 180 renters with mini storage units in the building with eviction notices to get out by the end of October.

Evicting entire buildings full of tenants has become a thing in Portland as owners rush to take advantage of tight vacancy rates and the potential for increasing rents. The Towne Storage eviction situation is just one of many in Portland during what the Community Alliance of Tenants (CAT) is calling "A Summer of Evictions."
...continues at the Portland Mercury.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2015, 4:59 AM

Didn't we know this was coming? I have a vague memory of seeing renderings of the future renovation of the building on here a few months ago.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2015, 5:02 AM

Yes:

Quote:
Notice of a Pre-Application Conference [PDF] for the conversion of the Towne Storage building into creative office space.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2015, 6:55 PM

Quote:
Burnside Bridgehead landmark converting into the Eastside's latest creative office space

For years it's been home to self-storage spaces and scores of local artisans and artists in search of affordable studio space.

Now, the landmark Towne Storage building at the east end of the Burnside Bridge will become the latest creative office space to join the party that's begun to rage in the Central Eastside Industrial District.

The most recent owner of the five-story building, an entity listed as 5 Eastside Stories LLC, is selling it in a transaction that is still a few weeks away from closing. The buyer has yet to be disclosed, but a story in the Portland Mercury referenced an unnamed investment company from California.
...continues at the Portland Business Journal.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2015, 7:22 PM

A building permit was issued to Works Partnership for 811 Stark:

Quote:
New 31,500 sf mixed-use building with retail space on the first floor, and an expected mix of creative office uses on the upper floors. Work includes 3-stories of wood glulam post and beam construction over a 1-story concrete podium, with ground floor retail, parking, lobby and building services

Old Posted Sep 22, 2015, 12:02 AM

Works Partnership have requested Design Advice and scheduled a Pre-Application Conference for a project at 910 E Burnside:

Quote:
Proposal is to build a 6 story structure with restaurant/retail on ground floor, indoor/outdoor event space on second floor and four floors of hotel units.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2015, 12:31 AM
A before E

Quote:
Works Partnership have requested Design Advice and scheduled a Pre-Application Conference for a project at 910 E Burnside:
Wow, Works is really trying to make themselves the main architecture firm of Inner Burnside.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2015, 5:25 AM

Let's clear out what is already a creative space, clean it up a little and call it, creative space.

I swear, if I hear too many more people use "creative" to sell something I am going to scream...

Old Posted Sep 24, 2015, 5:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cailes View Post
Let's clear out what is already a creative space, clean it up a little and call it, creative space.

I swear, if I hear too many more people use "creative" to sell something I am going to scream...
In grad school I would cringe when covering the topics of "the creative city" / creative economy and books like The Rise of the Creative Class (2002), Cities and the Creative Class (2004).

The overuse of "creative" in advertising is just all of that packaged for consumption. Not that many people that are moving into the "trendy" "creative" neighborhoods are even that creative unless a job in the knowledge economy is considered creative nowadays. Artists and musicians can't exactly afford $1,800 a month studios in Portland or any of the other creative cities like New York, Seattle, SF, LA, Austin etc.

I can't wait until the special snowflake party is over.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2015, 2:15 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by cailes View Post

Well I have a "creative studio apartment" for you then.

Actually I think "creative" has become a word in the same family as "cozy" or any other useless tag room. Speaking of "creative studio apartments," this is a 100 sq foot studio in Harlem renting for about $1500.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland