HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Nov 27, 2015, 4:58 PM
DRINK

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240glt View Post
Duggan's in Mill Creek has become our regular pop stop for the last few months. Quite enjoying it, love the atmosphere.. Service and food can be a bit spotty but it's kind-of part of the charm + Steamwhistle on tap. Wish it was closer to the house

Sorry High Run
Ended up there one sunday afternoon with the wife for a beer and pizza stop during a bike ride. My kind of place. Patio was really sweet. All the previous pubs that have been there over the last handful of years were always good.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2015, 5:51 PM

Duggan is just ok. We would never go out of the way for it. Food is more miss than hit and screams GFS all over it.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2015, 4:09 PM
Klatuu Barada Nikto

Tried sandwiches from Furrow yesterday. Very good. Neat what they manage in such a small space.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2015, 4:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveography View Post
Tried sandwiches from Furrow yesterday. Very good. Neat what they manage in such a small space.
Where is it located? I know where Burrow is but not Furrow. It you combine them what do you get? Maybe we need one named that as well. You know.. Go pher this and go pher that. Variety.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2015, 5:20 PM
Klatuu Barada Nikto

Haha, sorry, Farrow, not Furrow. I'd blame autocorrect, but honestly it was just me.

8422 109 St. - next to Three Boars.

http://farrowsandwiches.ca/

Old Posted Nov 28, 2015, 5:40 PM

😀 I know - I was having fun with you -

Old Posted Nov 28, 2015, 8:32 PM

Duggan's smells like a toilet but the patio is good.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2015, 6:48 PM
Klatuu Barada Nikto

GM from Haweli dropped by my office to promote their new take-out menu and Christmas party catering by giving me a free sample from said take-out menu.

Marketing level: Expert.

Will have to get a team lunch there soon. Such brilliant marketing chops must be rewarded.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2015, 2:33 AM

New Edmonton cafe/venue stymied by city's parking requirements
http://edmontonjournal.com/entertain...g-requirements

Quote:
All Philip Muz wants to do is run a music venue, but the City of Edmonton keeps thwarting him.

His old spot, The ARTery, was evicted from its downtown building in March to make way for impending LRT construction.

Muz is now hoping to open an all-ages cafĂ©/music venue, The Aviary, at 9314 111th Ave., but the city recently denied his development permit because the location doesn’t have any parking stalls.

The city says his business needs to provide 26 stalls. He says that doesn’t make sense because there are at least 30 metered parking spots and more than 100 free spots nearby. Plus, the Stadium LRT station is about a 10-minute walk east of The Aviary’s proposed home.

Muz said his café/venue would only have capacity for 100 people.

“There have been restaurants and bars without as many parking stalls on that strip before, so how did they get to open?” he said. “We want the same exact (business) licence as they had.”
Seriously, fuck this city's inept bureaucracy.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2015, 4:58 AM
HVAC guru

^ unfortunately this is a consequence of the current directives demanded of Sustainable Development by council and the interim city manager in response to several major errors made by the department that caused council and the city a great deal of embarrassment. If you want to blame someone, blame a few overzealous developers (one of which, ironically, being a staunch advocate infill and changes to zoning bylaws and other regulations) a department that re-wrote bylaws without authority and ignored various land use regulations with impunity, and a former manager with a "development at any cost" mindset. That's from the horse's mouth

Now the pendulum has swung swiftly in the other direction and this is the consequence. I have a few calls in though and A few others do too, and we'll likely be discussing this at our upcoming development committee meeting, We'll try to get this fixed up shorty

Last edited by 240glt; Dec 4, 2015 at 5:23 AM.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2015, 4:11 PM

Seriously S-T-U-P-I-D policy. Want a transit, bicycle friendly city? Well then, let's just demand thousands and thousands of parking spots.

Did I mention S-T-U-P-I-D?

Old Posted Dec 4, 2015, 4:44 PM
Community Guy

Unfortunately it rests with a LUB (zoning bylaw) that sees parking as a necessary evil. It impacts most of the city, remember the issue with MEAT on Whyte where they needed something like 30 dedicated spots or how Cactus on Jasper needed in the range of 183 spots.

Thankfully, this can go to SDAB and one would hope that they see the rational in it all and be able to grant this variance.

Also, parking regulations/requirements on our most urban areas, ie. Downtown, whyte, 124st etc. have changes proposed to bring them down by a factor of 10.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Dec 4, 2015, 5:33 PM

Hopefully there'll be changes. I know there's been some relaxation of parking stall requirements for new condo towers DT, which is a small step forward.

The one that gets me the most though is requiring bars to have parking spots. Really? We should encourage drinking and driving?

Old Posted Dec 4, 2015, 5:34 PM
HVAC guru

Luckily in this case I think the permit will receive support from the community so I think that they'll be successful in obtaining the permit. Just a few hoops need to be jumped through

I am very happy though that the broader situation is finally being adressed, as it vinidicates those of us who've identified problems and are working towards reform of the bylaws and processes. There will be some short term pain but hopefully this lesson learned helps create more comprehensive bylaws and helps to provide neighbourhoods with certainty and clarity, both things that were sadly lacking under the previous guard at SD

Old Posted Dec 4, 2015, 5:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Unfortunately it rests with a LUB (zoning bylaw) that sees parking as a necessary evil. It impacts most of the city, remember the issue with MEAT on Whyte where they needed something like 30 dedicated spots or how Cactus on Jasper needed in the range of 183 spots.

Thankfully, this can go to SDAB and one would hope that they see the rational in it all and be able to grant this variance.

Also, parking regulations/requirements on our most urban areas, ie. Downtown, whyte, 124st etc. have changes proposed to bring them down by a factor of 10.
For most of the urban areas you are speaking of the parking requirements have come down significantly and we barely see this as an issue in downtown or Whyte these days vs in the past. But as the City continues to grow, changes in other areas are required. In the mean time areas under gentrification will always see incidences like this due to the quick nature of change and generally the City have to react to this change. You can plan for things as a City it does not mean the people will follow that plan so in many cases you must react as changes occur.

In this case the area on 111 Ave around 93 Street where this guy is looking to set up shop from my recollection is an area with higher parking requirements. Other areas have seen the increase but not where this guy is going. You cannot drop the requirements to fast of you will have chaos on the streets or forced empty storefronts as people cannot get there (the old chicken and egg thing). So with the changes we are expecting in the next few years in North Edge and East Downtown, we will see more of this I am sure. But in time it will be fine.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2015, 5:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBoo View Post
Hopefully there'll be changes. I know there's been some relaxation of parking stall requirements for new condo towers DT, which is a small step forward.

The one that gets me the most though is requiring bars to have parking spots. Really? We should encourage drinking and driving?
Yes and no. There are taxis, DD's etc that drinkers can use. The parking requirements across the city for such establishments is so that people do not park in neighbouring properties and walk over, or on the street etc and cause havoc. Plus there is nothing that says I must get drunk if I go to the bar. I could go to a pub, have a beer and wings then leave still well below the limit.

Alternatively we could go the route of places like Dubai where licenced establishments must be attached to a hotel. That way if you are drunk you go up to a hotel room or grab a taxi as they are there waiting. Cant drive out as you need to get your keys from the valet.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2015, 6:16 PM
Community Guy

Free Press last night for maple glazed pork chops and schnitzel, both quite good and very reasonably priced.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2015, 4:18 AM

Had dinner at The Keg's Old Strathcona location tonight. When the manager came by for a chat, I asked him about potential new locations within the downtown area. He said that they will be opening a new location in or near the Brewery District, which has been in the works for a while now. I suggested that they should also open in the downtown core now that the new arena is opening soon, and he said they are definitely exploring that possibility.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2015, 3:05 PM
Community Guy

Ruth's Chris Sat night for meat, steaks were delicious, but the caesar was no better than a pre pack. Thai chicken appy was ok, calamari seemed frozen/reheat. Nice room, good service, but for the price there are many places offering more inspired meals.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2015, 4:33 PM

Wagu beef meatballs in a smoked morel mushroom sauce.
House made Chorizo sausage corn-dogs with house made honey mustard.
Shrimp mousse with mango salsa.
House made charcuterie selection with an amazing duck prosciutto and house made pretzel bun.

Just some of the selections from a new caterer I used this week.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton