HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Suburbs

Old Posted Nov 7, 2022, 6:10 PM

[Stoney Creek] 1310 South Service Road | ? | 8, 10, 12 fl | Proposed

Old Posted Nov 7, 2022, 6:16 PM

Will add the heights: 32.2m, 38.3m, 44.2m

Love to see the amount of development going up along the QEW corridor through Grimsby and Stoney Creek.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2022, 9:06 PM

The amount of development happening in this nook is surprising. Maybe there are yet to be seen plans for a developer funded GO station integrated with development of the lands to the south of this site.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2022, 2:45 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikevbar1 View Post
The amount of development happening in this nook is surprising. Maybe there are yet to be seen plans for a developer funded GO station integrated with development of the lands to the south of this site.
It could happen. Metrolinx was considering sites in Grimsby for a new station a few years ago, but I think that got put on hold.

One at Fifty Rd. or Fruitland may make sense if there's enough demand in the area. If a station is built on the west side of Grimsby (which I believe was one of the areas being considered) it would be fairly close too -- it's less than 4 km between Fifty Rd. and Casablanca Blvd.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2022, 9:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
It could happen. Metrolinx was considering sites in Grimsby for a new station a few years ago, but I think that got put on hold.

One at Fifty Rd. or Fruitland may make sense if there's enough demand in the area. If a station is built on the west side of Grimsby (which I believe was one of the areas being considered) it would be fairly close too -- it's less than 4 km between Fifty Rd. and Casablanca Blvd.
They could more than easily do both; one at Fifty rd, and one at Casablanca (is there where Grimsby's GO station will be?).

Off-topic, I think commuters will be disappointed to realize the trains will have to go all the way around the bay instead of taking the QEW's route along the sandbar. The GO train would lose some appeal in this regard.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2022, 9:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikevbar1 View Post
They could more than easily do both; one at Fifty rd, and one at Casablanca (is there where Grimsby's GO station will be?).

Off-topic, I think commuters will be disappointed to realize the trains will have to go all the way around the bay instead of taking the QEW's route along the sandbar. The GO train would lose some appeal in this regard.
Don't see them putting two that close together. Demand isn't there. Even Burlington and Oakville spread out stations by at least two highway interchanges.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2022, 9:28 PM

The interchanges are further apart here, the stations would be about 3.75km apart. Aldershot and Burlington for comparison are about 4.5km.

I agree though that generally it's too far apart and if Metrolinx adds an extra station it will likely be at Fruitland, not Fifty Rd.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2022, 9:46 PM
Ham-burgher

Plus they will be using diesel engines for a long while on this part of the corridor. Having stops too close together isn't operationally efficient, even if this is going to see much more limited service than the section between Union Station and wherever the eventual electrified service ends.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2022, 11:54 PM

Maybe in 20 or 30 years

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Suburbs