HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Suburbs

Old Posted Feb 7, 2022, 3:42 PM

found the micro-site for this one:

https://urbansolutions.info/wilson-academy/

Old Posted Feb 7, 2022, 3:54 PM
Ham-burgher

I like that.

Heads are going to explode over it, but it looks great to me.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2022, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
I like that.

My goodness, this is high impact stuff. The character and feel at street level is going to be altered not just here, but down the street as far as the sight line extends! The lower curtain of stone is to satisfy the village architectual requirements, in order to maintain that historic feel, right?
And the mass of this projects is a game changer! I don't care what mister Lloyd Ferguson says. This development has potenitial! They could incorporate the Ancaster Farmer's market inside during the colder months, and cool foodie stuff like that!

Old Posted Feb 8, 2022, 1:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
I like that.

Ha, they (Ancasterites) won't. It's being built by a well-known local who also has no issue strongarming the city. That's all fine in my books, but I'd be shocked to see any significant opposition actually result in any changes.

Edit: That said, it is also quite inoffensive and fits the neighbourhood character quite well. It's hard to come up with an argument against it anyway.

Last edited by mikevbar1; Feb 8, 2022 at 3:29 AM.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2022, 3:15 AM

Very bold! Going to a battle.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2022, 1:07 PM

Tongue in cheek - you do realize that this will result in many more Ancasterites, who in turn will battle against next big project, who subsequently will battle against the next, and the next, and so on - in AETERNUM!

Old Posted Feb 8, 2022, 1:21 PM
Ham-burgher

But will they be former Torontonians? Especially Forest Hillians or Rosedalites? Will they be moving here to retire in peace and harmony and enjoy small town living next to medium-sized city amenities, and those who want to come after be damned? Or, the gods forbid, will they be transplants from Hamilton.

I bet in the end the developer will agree to lop off a floor or two or add a big setback above the third level. I actually think I'd like the latter better.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2022, 1:52 PM

Assuming the demand for retail and living space is still at a premium, and all units get sold above asking price, the developer could use the excess funds to comply and build most beautiful observation tower atop for most glorious councillor to survey his most exclusive realm from on high! ; )

Old Posted Feb 8, 2022, 4:29 PM

Can't say I enjoy the stone application. They ought to be creating a more convincing faux-heritage building envelope (with corners) rather than treating the stone as a simple, flat facade.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2022, 5:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katrillion View Post
Can't say I enjoy the stone application. They ought to be creating a more convincing faux-heritage building envelope (with corners) rather than treating the stone as a simple, flat facade.
Man... I'd be happy if it even looked like this render, with real stone. I'd bet $20 right now that if this gets approved as is there will be faux stone precast panels used for this.

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Feb 8, 2022, 5:46 PM
Ham-burgher

I like the glass on the corner, and I'm less worried about faux-stone on the front and sides than I am about whatever treatment that will be above the corner.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2022, 7:22 PM

I just hope that as it ages, it doesn't become a white elephant or a massive blot on the streetscape.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2022, 8:55 PM

Turns out I was wrong about local opposition to this one. On Facebook in various groups like 'Sustainable Steeltown' there have been 500+character write-ups trying to paint this thing as the end of the world. Various individuals claiming insufficient sewage capacity, being one of 'the last spots not touched by condos' in Ancaster, etc. Maybe I'm just not as familiar with locals as I thought I was, LOL.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2023, 3:15 AM

Was reading in the Ancaster News (August 3) that the OLT settlement came on August 1st. No real details other than the settlement includes allowing an eight storey building. Going to be a game changer for the village core.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2023, 12:32 PM

Street is a hidden gem to many in town - exciting to see some density being added

Old Posted Nov 16, 2023, 10:50 PM
It's Hammer Time

Developers file site plan appeal to OLT for Wilson Street property
Developers file site plan appeal for property where Marr-Phillipo House is located.

https://www.thespec.com/news/develop...d54fffa50.html

The owners of the Wilson Street property where the historic Marr-Phillipo House is located have filed an appeal to the Ontario Land Tribunal for their site application.

The appeal comes in the wake of the tribunal’s decision in August 2023 to rezone the properties at 392-412 Wilson St. E. and Academy Street after a settlement hearing was reached between the owners and the city that allowed for an eight-storey, mixed-used development.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2024, 11:30 PM

Ontario Land Tribunal dismisses Ancaster developers’ appeal over eight-storey Wilson Street condo

"The Ontario Land Tribunal has dismissed an appeal launched by developers hoping to build an eight-storey condo at the site of a historic house in Ancaster — a project that has overlapped with flip-flopping provincial legislation.

Wilson St. Ancaster Inc.‘s tribunal challenge for 392-412 Wilson St. E. focused on the proposal’s site plan, but the OLT ruled the project doesn’t accord with Hamilton’s official plan, which is the city’s overarching land-use road map.

..."

Old Posted Apr 7, 2024, 8:25 AM
Ham-burgher

So much for the 'rubber stamp'

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Suburbs