HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Jul 21, 2016, 8:47 PM

Who knows. That was the plan.

It's not a CFR event, so up to Northlands to decide if Farm Fair lives on. If I had to bet, I'd say yes.

btw, 90k attendance for six rounds =avg of 15k per round.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2016, 9:02 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
Quote:
Originally Posted by 240glt View Post
Ultimately they didn't want to deal with the OEG, which is a bit of a theme as of late. Hopefully that doesn't continue

But the lack of support for Cfr in this city was obvious. We'll see how a lesser event of the same type fares
It's been a few years since I was up to the CFR but selling out every night seems like pretty decent support. Or is the city in general not supportive? Seems like the event itself is very well attended.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Jul 21, 2016, 10:50 PM

The deal was from Northlands + Northlands not the City of Edmonton. Apparently the team offered considerably more than past years. Those in the know say Saskatoon would never be able to match that long term - and why they are only getting a 2 year contract. The only way it could make it in Saskatoon long term is a subsidy from Saskatoon city and province. Not sure taxpayers are going to cough up for that.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2016, 12:04 AM
HVAC guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubicon View Post
It's been a few years since I was up to the CFR but selling out every night seems like pretty decent support. Or is the city in general not supportive? Seems like the event itself is very well attended.
A huge number of CFR attendees were from out of town. They came to the city to watch the CFR, stay for a few days, shop and eat. I'm sure the economic lift from the event was significant.

In the city, aside for the proliferation of cowboy hats and people who look like they're lost you'd barely know the CFR was taking place

Old Posted Jul 22, 2016, 2:04 AM

Quote:
A huge number of CFR attendees were from out of town. They came to the city to watch the CFR, stay for a few days, shop and eat. I'm sure the economic lift from the event was significant.

In the city, aside for the proliferation of cowboy hats and people who look like they're lost you'd barely know the CFR was taking place
Never been and likely would never go. On the other hand I would go to PBR bull riding if we have the real thing here - I love watching it on TV.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2016, 4:16 AM

Went to one night of the CFR this year and it was a pretty full crowd with a good production quality.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2016, 1:14 PM
DRINK

Quote:

The in laws store sees a significant boost from out of towners during the CFR. I suppose the same boost is possible if the PBR events are just as successful.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2016, 2:09 PM

Quote:
Gunter: Saskatoon's CFR win over Edmonton is rodeo's loss

lorne gunter BY LORNE GUNTER , EDMONTON SUN

In rejecting the bid by the city of Edmonton and Oilers Entertainment Group this spring to keep the CFR here another 10 years, the CPRA huffed one of its goals was to “grow our sport,” a task they had found “somewhat limited in Edmonton.”

Maybe that was true, but I fail to see how that goal is brought closer in a city and province that are each one-quarter the size of Edmonton and Alberta.

The CPRA scoffed at the corporate sponsorship opportunities here, at the prices that could be charged for tickets and executive boxes, and at the television and advertising revenues available in Edmonton.
http://www.edmontonsun.com/2016/07/2...is-rodeos-loss

I honestly think that the CFR backed itself into a corner and as a last resort had to pick Saskatoon as no one else wanted it. Edmonton, Winnipeg, Calgary and Vancouver all said no thanks, pretty telling if you ask me.

Quote:
Months of exclusive negotiations between the CPRA and the Oilers Entertainment Group produced some hard feelings that were compounded once the OEG’s final offer was rejected March 1 by the CPRA, which then put out the RFP and invited the OEG to respond along with other interested parties. When the OEG declined, and it became obvious that neither Calgary nor Winnipeg was going to bid either, the CPRA asked the OEG if they could revisit the final offer.

That wasn’t going to happen, and here’s why. Rogers Place.

More precisely, the attraction of Rogers Place to a global company like International Management Group. IMG is a major player in the entertainment business, with reach into concerts, golf, tennis, Professional Bull Riders, and most recently, the Ultimate Fighting Championship, which it just bought for $4 billion US.

An IMG executive was on the phone to members of OEG the day after the CPRA rejected OEG’s final offer. That executive wanted to talk about a partnership and a PBR event in Edmonton. But not just a PBR event. As talks continued, the concept grew to incorporate a western lifestyle-themed festival that includes music and food. There will be an Oilers home game against the Calgary Flames, too. And the downtown events will help support the Farm Fair International agriculture show on the Northlands grounds.

The PBR announcement will come in early August, and should involve two events, a rather modest one on the newly announced Monster Energy PBR Canadian Tour and another that should fit seamlessly into the PBR’s top echelon. And that’s just the beginning of OEG’s partnership with IMG. There is even bigger news coming for UFC fans here.

“We have had very positive conversations about bringing (a UFC) event to Rogers Place in the near future,” OEG spokesman Tim Shipton said in an email on Thursday afternoon.

That doesn’t happen without the lure of Rogers Place and a partnership with IMG. And if that had to be the trade, CFR for PBR and UFC, I dare say many Edmontonians would take that deal.
http://edmontonjournal.com/news/loca...skatoon-sunset

Old Posted Jul 22, 2016, 3:32 PM
HVAC guru

Meh. I don't buy the conspiracy theories and in reality it is what it is, Edmonton loses again and the apologists once again make this city look like a joke to the rest of Canada

Can't say I blame them for thinking that

Old Posted Jul 22, 2016, 3:35 PM

Lol, ya, the rest of Canada cares that the rodeo went to Saskatoon. Your hatred for anything Katz Group is getting beyond old......

Old Posted Jul 22, 2016, 3:45 PM

15K per night at Rexall ... forecasting maybe 11k per night in S'toon. That from the CPRA itself.

Great move guys.

Well, world class hissy-fit anyway.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2016, 3:57 PM
HVAC guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBoo View Post
15K per night at Rexall ... forecasting maybe 11k per night in S'toon. That from the CPRA itself.

Great move guys.

Well, world class hissy-fit anyway.
They'll be just fine I am sure

We look like idiots for letting it get away.

But we got exactly what we wanted, so be it

Old Posted Jul 22, 2016, 4:14 PM

If it is a choice between IMG with its possibilities and the CFR it would be IMG any day.

We have more to gain from that relationship - it puts us at a different level to be aligned with that group.

So Saskatoon can take the CFR and good luck to them

Old Posted Jul 22, 2016, 7:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket252 View Post
If it is a choice between IMG with its possibilities and the CFR it would be IMG any day.

We have more to gain from that relationship - it puts us at a different level to be aligned with that group.

So Saskatoon can take the CFR and good luck to them
Better Saskatoon than ...

Old Posted Jul 24, 2016, 2:15 AM

What the hell, Eskimos? They were blowing away the Ti-cats then they fell apart like a Big Mac in a baby's hands.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2016, 3:04 AM
Community Guy

'^in the bag' and 22 for 22.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jul 24, 2016, 5:36 PM

The Eskimos' second-half performances this year have been embarrassing.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2016, 5:51 PM

Been a fan all my life. Never have I seen this from the Esks

Mass doesn't want to call this team out. This could be the problem. Dont be a friend, be their boss and kick some ass.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2016, 7:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretttheRiderFan View Post
The Eskimos' second-half performances this year have been embarrassing.
Agreed. My head is not buried in the sand.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2016, 2:25 PM

Quote:
Dan Barnes: GM fired, directors resign, Canadian Professional Rodeo Association in turmoil

DAN BARNES, EDMONTON JOURNAL
More from Dan Barnes, Edmonton Journal

There has been a massive shakeup of the dysfunctional Canadian Professional Rodeo Association.

President Murry Milan resigned on July 17, the final day of the Calgary Stampede. Nine days later, the other cowboy boot dropped.

General manager Dan Eddy, hired in February 2015, was fired Tuesday night at a meeting of CPRA directors in Airdrie. The vote was reportedly 6-5 in favour of Eddy’s termination, which came despite a recommendation from the CPRA’s eight-member business advisory council to retain him. Eddy had earlier this year been suspended with pay pending an outside human resources investigation of allegations made against him by some CPRA office staff. He had since been reinstated.

It is hard to imagine that the CPRA would have spun out of control had they reached a deal to keep the Canadian Finals Rodeo in Edmonton, because that failure created division on the board. Instead, the 2016 event is the final one here.

It is hard to imagine that the CPRA would have spun out of control had they reached a deal to keep the Canadian Finals Rodeo in Edmonton, because that failure created division on the board. Instead, the 2016 event is the final one here. The CPRA’s negotiating committee rejected the final bid from the Oilers Entertainment Group on March 1. The OEG and City of Edmonton had worked in concert on a long-term deal with the cowboys, but CPRA wanted more purse money over the length of the deal and didn’t want to cede control of TV production or sponsorship generation to OEG. So the deal died.

A faction of CPRA directors opposed the rejection of that Edmonton bid and were upset with how the negotiations went down. One director said the CPRA executive leadership didn’t allow him to view the particulars of the OEG proposal until May, two months after it was rejected.

But at the time of the rejection in March, that faction was outnumbered by directors, executives and advisory council members who supported the idea of putting the CFR on the open market. Those people had decided the CFR was such an attractive property that several other Canadian cities would line up to bid for hosting rights.

That didn’t happen.

There wasn’t a single formal response to the CPRA request for proposals. Only Saskatoon indicated some interest in continuing to negotiate with the CPRA. Earlier this month, the CPRA and Saskatoon Tourism signed a memorandum of understanding to hold the CFR in that city from 2017 through 2019.

But Del Guercio said there is no straight line to be drawn from the CFR negotiations to the termination of Eddy and the resulting slew of resignations.

“All I can tell you, the deal with Saskatoon had nothing to do with it.”
http://edmontonjournal.com/sports/da...ion-in-turmoil

Last edited by hilman; Jul 28, 2016 at 2:38 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton