HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jun 30, 2011, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
So they are going to cover the beautiful Luhr's Building/Tower with a fucking static billboard?
God I hope not. What a horrible horrible idea. How could that even be conceivable? How can we start a riot if so?

Old Posted Jun 30, 2011, 10:58 PM
BANNED

that article is from february...

Old Posted Jun 30, 2011, 11:02 PM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
Does anyone know who to contact to yell at about this project? I'm all for it in concept, but if you're going to do it, do it right. Use LED signs, or at the very least signs that can flip images about like Westgate has. And under no fucking circumstances should beautiful buildings like Luhrs be covered up. Just cover the garage mahal, CityScapes blank walls, etc.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2011, 11:09 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooverDam View Post
Does anyone know who to contact to yell at about this project? I'm all for it in concept, but if you're going to do it, do it right. Use LED signs, or at the very least signs that can flip images about like Westgate has. And under no fucking circumstances should beautiful buildings like Luhrs be covered up. Just cover the garage mahal, CityScapes blank walls, etc.
And don't make one of the few LED boards you are actually installing face a residental neighborhood.

I plan to write Michael Johnson about that one and Luhr's. I recommend anyone else with intrest in the project do the same.

council.district.8@phoenix.gov

Old Posted Jun 30, 2011, 11:14 PM
Skyriser

You know what's more aggravating about the Jefferson St Garage billboard?

It's for the freaking power company. APS jacks rates up all the time and here they are plastering half the freaking garage to advertise their monopoly.

You know what's even more aggravating about the billboard?

It's of a tree. How many trees have to be killed to greenwash some company's effect on the environment? This is the most idiotic thing to come to downtown ever.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2011, 11:21 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
This is the most idiotic thing to come to downtown ever.
really? really?

Old Posted Jul 1, 2011, 12:13 AM
Skyriser

Yes, really. Quit being an ass.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2011, 12:21 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
Yes, really. Quit being an ass.
I'm not. I'm clarifying your statements. I'd hardly say that an APS billboard is the most idiotic thing to ever come downtown. I wanted to know if that is really what you meant.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2011, 7:07 PM
BANNED

They finished the APS billboard, are putting in a new LED board on the SWC or 7th and Jefferson, and started pulling the facade off of the east side of the Garage Mahal to make room for that LED board.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2011, 9:23 PM

How big do you think it will be?

Old Posted Jul 2, 2011, 9:34 PM
BANNED

looked like three stories tall. About 30 feet wide.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2011, 11:18 PM

I think my biggest problem with this is that it's APS advertising...just seem so lame. I don't even know why the hell they advertise so much...not like you have a choice on whether you have APS or not, it's where you live. Would have been better if it were a sign for Coca Cola or Nike or something.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2011, 10:01 PM
BANNED

here you can see the new board they are putting in at Chase, as well as where hte board will go on the garage mahal.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2011, 6:36 PM
BANNED

No clue where this is on the garage... I haven't seen any work going on at Garage Mahal, so maybe they are referring to little light board on the south side of Jefferson?

First big LED screen for downtown Phoenix is up

A giant Panasonic advertising screen installed on the Jefferson Street garage in downtown Phoenix is the first one in a series of large LED screens that will go on major downtown venues.

Other spots will include Chase Field, US Airways Center and the Phoenix Convention Center.

More of these signs, part of the Legends Entertainment District, will be added after the Major League Baseball All-Star week.

Judd Norris, general manager for the Legends Entertainment District, said the garage is “kind of the 50-yard line of the district.

Earlier this year, Phoenix officials decided to work with the Arizona Diamondbacks and the Phoenix Suns to create the signage district along Jefferson Street downtown, which operates as Legends Entertainment District. City officials and team representatives said the district would brighten downtown and give it a big-city feel, like Times Square in New York City or Las Vegas.

The first LED (light-emitting diode) screen will display ads from one of the sports teams’ biggest local sponsors, the utility Arizona Public Service, Anheuser-Busch, as well as Fox Sports Net, Chevrolet, and Fry’s Food Stores. It is 250 feet long.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2011, 8:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicelord John View Post
Earlier this year, Phoenix officials decided to work with the Arizona Diamondbacks and the Phoenix Suns to create the signage district along Jefferson Street downtown, which operates as Legends Entertainment District. City officials and team representatives said the district would brighten downtown and give it a big-city feel, like Times Square in New York City or Las Vegas.

The first LED (light-emitting diode) screen will display ads from one of the sports teams’ biggest local sponsors, the utility Arizona Public Service, Anheuser-Busch, as well as Fox Sports Net, Chevrolet, and Fry’s Food Stores. It is 250 feet long.
Really?? "like Times Square in New York City or Las Vegas"??!!?? HAHAHAHA

Old Posted Jul 6, 2011, 8:38 PM

Install Schedule

Hard to believe they waited for the last minute on this before the MLB All Star Game. Now with thunderstorm coming in every night the sign company can claim an act of God kept them from delivering on time and hence no signs for the MLB Game. FANTASTIC!! Prograstinating will kill a good project everytime. Hope they prove me wrong.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2011, 6:24 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixwillrise View Post
Hard to believe they waited for the last minute on this before the MLB All Star Game. Now with thunderstorm coming in every night the sign company can claim an act of God kept them from delivering on time and hence no signs for the MLB Game. FANTASTIC!! Prograstinating will kill a good project everytime. Hope they prove me wrong.
They put up a LOT last night. The new D Backs marquee on the corner of 7 and Jefferson is almost complete and the boards were being tested last night. They are putting up a huge billboard on the garage mahal's south face, two big ass vinyl billboards on USAC, and another couple of billboards on the east face of the BOB/USAC garage. The boards go up pretty fast.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2011, 9:59 PM

So this is our great Legends Entertainment District huh?

I thought this was all supposed to be up and going by the All Star weekend. Other than this billboard and the one on the parking garage advertising APS...I didn't notice anything else.
Not just that, but unless you didn't know what was there before...these do not stand out at all, it doesn't feel like some close district...it feels like random ads.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2011, 10:02 PM
BANNED

well it is still far from done, but yeah it is a little weird.

The APS signs and the LED board were all lit up last night, as was the new Dbacks marquee, that shit is bright!

Old Posted Jul 10, 2011, 12:41 AM

Drove by today. I think it looks pretty good. The LED boards at the stadium near 7th & Jefferson were finished and looked nice. I think the billboards look better in person than they do in the photos.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest