HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Dec 1, 2017, 8:52 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Quote:
Originally Posted by patm View Post
All of Edmonton seems to look like the worst parts of Calgary when I drive around.
Related to that, Edmonton seems to have as many 'hip streets' as Calgary, but Whyte/Old Strathcona is better than any single street in Calgary, yet the rest of the Edmonton hip streets are not as good as the Calgary ones in my opinion.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2017, 10:20 PM
BANNED

@OP, if all things are equal between schools with your program, I'd definitely recommend living in Calgary over Edmonton. Born and raised up north, but had opportunity to work in Calgary for a few years and loved it, despite the pro-Edmonton bias I showed up with..

First up, transit far better in Calgary. The c-train not only covers more distance, but links in more/better facilities than Edm LRT does. If you aren't working or living too far from c-train going car-free is pretty viable.

I also found winters to be much better in Calgary, and being close to the mountains is a huge plus, in addition to actually having interesting terrain in the city. Sadly, some of the best views up in flat city can be found from an overpass..

Bike paths are also better in Calgary. Despite the charms of Edmonton's river valley, the paths are disjointed, and last I rode there still wasn't a continuous path end to end..

As far as urbanity of the cores go, 15 years back I would have given Edmonton the edge, but Calgary has progressed leaps and bound since then. And as you saw on MLS, there's definitely a better selection of recent housing stock in the Calgary core vs Edmonton.

Pluses for Edmonton? Definitely a lower cost of living across the board, housing, food, gas, etc. The business environment in Edmonton is also a lot more relaxed than Calgary, so if you're a dirty hippy or a beardo, may hold some sway..

In any case, either city is objectively pretty great compared to a lot of places in the world these days, so you can't really lose in AB

Old Posted Dec 2, 2017, 12:09 AM
Bla Bla

well i've been to both. Prefer to live in Calgary especially if you are in your 20s or 30s

Old Posted Dec 2, 2017, 4:18 AM

Thanks everyone. So many helpful comments. I read all of your posts and I'm glad I made this thread. Of course, posts on threads like this aren't meant to be taken as gospel. But I've always found it easier to narrow my focus when I ask ridiculous questions like "why do you prefer real estate over index investing" etc... Basically I'm hunting for a reason/reasons to motivate myself to look at an issue more closely.

So to recap this thread, for a person looking for a more urban setting Calgary is probably the better choice. Calgary also looks and feels more modern. The transportation system and the bike paths are also slightly better. Judging from pictures, videos and the types of units available on the market in both cities, purchasing real estate in Calgary is the more prudent choice (at least in a purely mechanistic sense).

For now I'm patiently waiting to hear back from both schools.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2017, 4:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reesonov View Post
I definitely think that Calgary makes a much better first impression than Edmonton. It is a lot easier to like. The CBD and surrounding neighbourhoods are a lot more developed and cohesive than Edmonton.

Now, that said, sometimes the places that are hard to like or take a long time to appreciate can turn out to be the most rewarding. Edmonton could be one of those places for you. Its difficult to predict.
That's a great point. I actually know exactly what you mean. Even though Vancouver is objectively a better city than Edmonton, I always tell people that I enjoyed my life a lot more when I was living in Edmonton. It's hard to explain. I can point to a million things about Edmonton that make me laugh, but in the end I enjoyed life more and that's the most important thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbia View Post
Here are the top ten reasons as listed on the UCalgary web-site:
http://www.ucalgary.ca/future-studen...ce/city-choice
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by technomad View Post
@OP, if all things are equal between schools with your program, I'd definitely recommend living in Calgary over Edmonton. Born and raised up north, but had opportunity to work in Calgary for a few years and loved it, despite the pro-Edmonton bias I showed up with..

First up, transit far better in Calgary. The c-train not only covers more distance, but links in more/better facilities than Edm LRT does. If you aren't working or living too far from c-train going car-free is pretty viable.

I also found winters to be much better in Calgary, and being close to the mountains is a huge plus, in addition to actually having interesting terrain in the city. Sadly, some of the best views up in flat city can be found from an overpass..

Bike paths are also better in Calgary. Despite the charms of Edmonton's river valley, the paths are disjointed, and last I rode there still wasn't a continuous path end to end..

As far as urbanity of the cores go, 15 years back I would have given Edmonton the edge, but Calgary has progressed leaps and bound since then. And as you saw on MLS, there's definitely a better selection of recent housing stock in the Calgary core vs Edmonton.

Pluses for Edmonton? Definitely a lower cost of living across the board, housing, food, gas, etc. The business environment in Edmonton is also a lot more relaxed than Calgary, so if you're a dirty hippy or a beardo, may hold some sway..

In any case, either city is objectively pretty great compared to a lot of places in the world these days, so you can't really lose in AB
Thanks for the comment on the bike paths. In what way does Edmonton have a lower cost of living? It definitely seems like detached homes are more expensive in Calgary. But alternatively condos are much better value in Calgary. Condos in Edmonton quickly go up in price if you want something decent, whereas in Calgary you can easily find nice units in the 300's.

Though, this is probably due to the glut of units in Calgary I've been reading about.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2017, 4:30 AM

I have lived in Edmonton 23 yrs Calgary for 19 yrs
Both are fantastic cities, just different neither one better than the other.

My take...
Calgary is a better looking city clean with a beautiful mountain back drop
Calgary is very corporate and fast paced (a bit more cold persona)

Edmonton is a more festive city (lots of support for the arts and festivals)
Edmonton has a more laid back atmosphere (a friendly persona)

Old Posted Dec 5, 2017, 4:12 PM

I'm beginning to not actually... new arena, way better football stadium, largest mall in NA and soon to have tallest building outside TO.

C'mon Calgary... do better!

Old Posted Dec 7, 2017, 1:01 AM
Bla Bla

but that tallest building will be recognized by no one it's basically the same height with brookfield Calgary but the thing is interm of tall Tower and architect Calgary definite smoked Edmonton .
Calgary is already ahead and that's the truth. And the fact that it is in the top 5 most livable city world wide along with vancouver and toronto in that list... so that's saying something

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay in Cowtown View Post
I'm beginning to not actually... new arena, way better football stadium, largest mall in NA and soon to have tallest building outside TO.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2017, 4:06 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abii View Post
That's a great point. I actually know exactly what you mean. Even though Vancouver is objectively a better city than Edmonton, I always tell people that I enjoyed my life a lot more when I was living in Edmonton. It's hard to explain. I can point to a million things about Edmonton that make me laugh, but in the end I enjoyed life more and that's the most important thing.

Thanks.

Thanks for the comment on the bike paths. In what way does Edmonton have a lower cost of living? It definitely seems like detached homes are more expensive in Calgary. But alternatively condos are much better value in Calgary. Condos in Edmonton quickly go up in price if you want something decent, whereas in Calgary you can easily find nice units in the 300's.

Though, this is probably due to the glut of units in Calgary I've been reading about.
TBH haven't really followed the high rise / condo market lately, but suspect you're right on much better value on units in Calgary with the current glut, might make for a good mid/long term investment

The cost savings is much more noticeable in Edmonton with houses and acreages, but also with the little things. Gas will be 3-5 cents cheaper in Edmonton, pints at the pub a dollar or two cheaper, same with the rest of menu. Lower grocery prices up north too.

Not as much of a factor if you're working as jobs in Calgary tend to pay more, but the little things will add up, depending on how long you'll be a student for, could be a counter to the better condo value in Calgary

Old Posted Dec 7, 2017, 2:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay in Cowtown View Post

Oh well..if you have the largest mall then you got something there. I mean, when people decide to move to a new place I always hear them ask, "How big is the mall there"?

Ya, Edmonton has a nice new area with a big shortage of washrooms (unless you count the sides of buildings for a 2 block radius around it) but I would counter with:

The Bow
Telus Sky
New Library
National Music centre
Manulife building

......even our newest rec centres have some nice design to them. Adding the new arena in Edmonton is a metaphor for their hockey team. You add the best player in the legue but in the end your team still sucks.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2017, 4:41 PM

I haven't lived in Edmonton, so I'm only coming at this with my own observations and those from a couple of friends of mine from Edmonton who live here. Your recap sounds accurate. Calgary is definitely more urban. The core of the city is more urban, and Calgary has a noticeable advantage when it comes to its inner city areas such as Kensington/Mission/Beltline/Inglewood/Bridgeland/Marda Loop/East Village Bike system and transit are more advanced. If you're looking for those type of things then you'll like Calgary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abii View Post

Thanks everyone. So many helpful comments. I read all of your posts and I'm glad I made this thread. Of course, posts on threads like this aren't meant to be taken as gospel. But I've always found it easier to narrow my focus when I ask ridiculous questions like "why do you prefer real estate over index investing" etc... Basically I'm hunting for a reason/reasons to motivate myself to look at an issue more closely.

So to recap this thread, for a person looking for a more urban setting Calgary is probably the better choice. Calgary also looks and feels more modern. The transportation system and the bike paths are also slightly better. Judging from pictures, videos and the types of units available on the market in both cities, purchasing real estate in Calgary is the more prudent choice (at least in a purely mechanistic sense).

For now I'm patiently waiting to hear back from both schools.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2017, 6:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by technomad View Post

The cost savings is much more noticeable in Edmonton with houses and acreages, but also with the little things. Gas will be 3-5 cents cheaper in Edmonton, pints at the pub a dollar or two cheaper, same with the rest of menu. Lower grocery prices up north too.
That's really interesting. Without any research I would have guessed the exact opposite.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2017, 5:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoolKool View Post
but that tallest building will be recognized by no one it's basically the same height with brookfield Calgary but the thing is interm of tall Tower and architect Calgary definite smoked Edmonton .
Calgary is already ahead and that's the truth. And the fact that it is in the top 5 most livable city world wide along with vancouver and toronto in that list... so that's saying something
Haha... I was joking for Christ's sake!

Edmonton definitely has it's great things going for it... especially lately. But it will never be Calgary, and the biggest reason is they can't move those large rocks any closer to them. The mountains are what has always made Calgary a more desirable city to live or visit.

Eventually the patch will make a comeback and we'll get a taller tower than Stantec to compliment our already light years better skyline. An arena and stadium will inevitably get built... and those rocks, they'll still be there in the backdrop of the better city.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation