HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Sep 10, 2014, 2:44 PM
ARTchitecture

I don't know about you guys, but my back yard has been devastated by this storm. I've never seen anything like it. We're lost our tallest tree and could lose our 2nd tallest. Our neighbour also lost their tallest which is of the same species.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2014, 3:17 PM

I've lost some large branches off one tree in the front and a tree in the back has split right down the middle, thankfully it came down slowly and didn't cause any real damage as it was resting on the hood of my car this morning.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2014, 3:45 PM

We've been lucky so far, only a few tiny branches off one tree. Our apple tree seems to have escaped unscathed. Our neighbors yard not so much, they had a couple huge chunks come down and destroy their back fence and fill their yard.

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted Sep 10, 2014, 4:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
I don't know about you guys, but my back yard has been devastated by this storm. I've never seen anything like it. We're lost our tallest tree and could lose our 2nd tallest. Our neighbour also lost their tallest which is of the same species.
Fear not my friend, our trees are pretty resilient here. I'll keep my fingers crossed they pull through for you

Old Posted Sep 10, 2014, 4:04 PM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug_Cgy View Post
Fear not my friend, our trees are pretty resilient here. I'll keep my fingers crossed they pull through for you
I'm going out once more before I leave for gym/the office to shake the snow off of them. I'm afraid by the time I get home today we'll have lost another one or two though

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2014, 5:37 PM
power to the people!

I've become good friends with both my chainsaw at work and my chainsaw at home over the past 24h. My 'hood is in shambles.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2014, 6:40 PM

The university is too. I'd estimate that 30% of the non-coniferous trees on campus have lost at least a portion. And I've seen some of the larger trees (especially on the south side of campus) that lost upwards of 50% of the tree.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2014, 7:48 PM
Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyLucky View Post
Just in time!

The only thing growing in my garden is snow peas... without the peas.
Managed to get a fair amount of tomatoes out before the snow, but there were still boat loads left Really disappointed. I might be able to salvage some once this blows over.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2014, 8:38 PM
not a NIMBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surrealplaces View Post
Managed to get a fair amount of tomatoes out before the snow, but there were still boat loads left Really disappointed. I might be able to salvage some once this blows over.
You can always make green tomato chow chow.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2014, 5:58 AM

Was just browsing over some photos of Prince's Island Park and Sunnyside. I cannot believe the amount of damage caused by this recent snowfall. It almost hurts.

We don't even have a speck of snow on the ground out here in Oyen. I guess that will probably change in short order.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2014, 12:28 PM

Ya, got home yesterday to see the tree in my front yard(on the city property line) had been destroyed. Massive branches now cover my front lawn The city took out the other tree a couple years ago, so now I have none...

Old Posted Sep 11, 2014, 1:19 PM
Beer me Captain

Funnily enough, our two big Elms made it through unscathed, but a new tree planted this Spring lost the top metre

Rode my bike through Confed Park and Queen's Park Cemetary - WOW. It seems like every tree lost 10% or more of its foliage. One plus side, 21st Ave NW which has a wonderful elm canopy appears almost to have no damage. Weird?

Do something about your future.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2014, 2:02 PM

Ya, I rode in this morning through Confed as well. Its devastated. Those parks workers have their work cut out for them...

Old Posted Sep 11, 2014, 2:10 PM
Near Generational

I was in Southern Ontario for the 98 ice storm. This event in Calgary was almost as bad.

It will take many years for the trees to recover.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2014, 3:48 PM
BANNED

This storm was fucked. I was expecting worse tbh. On my walk through LMR/Beltline I noticed there is quite a bit of debris, but mostly big branches. Most of the newer/smaller trees escaped undamaged. The bigger trees that were damaged can mostly be salvageable with some trimming. There were only a few that i noticed that were split at the trunk i.e. beyond repair.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2014, 3:51 PM
ARTchitecture

We're going to have to get rid of our (former) tallest tree, but our 2nd tallest seems to have survived, though its tallest main branch is leaning over at a 90 degree angle without snapping, miraculously It's funny how this one species seems to have been devastated city-wide, but most other species were completely fine. I wish I knew the name of this tree species.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2014, 4:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
We're going to have to get rid of our (former) tallest tree, but our 2nd tallest seems to have survived, though its tallest main branch is leaning over at a 90 degree angle without snapping, miraculously It's funny how this one species seems to have been devastated city-wide, but most other species were completely fine. I wish I knew the name of this tree species.

Good to hear that at least one survived. I wonder how the trees at my parents place made out.

If you take a picture of your tree I'll identify it for you.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2014, 5:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreddog View Post
Funnily enough, our two big Elms made it through unscathed, but a new tree planted this Spring lost the top metre

Rode my bike through Confed Park and Queen's Park Cemetary - WOW. It seems like every tree lost 10% or more of its foliage. One plus side, 21st Ave NW which has a wonderful elm canopy appears almost to have no damage. Weird?
It's amazing the difference in how well species weather this kind of storm. Elms look like they should be vulnerable, but even the dead branches on poorly pruned elms seem OK. Meanwhile Manitoba Maples and Poplars drop huge limbs and occasionally come down altogether. It's too bad so much of our canopy is made up of those two trees. The manitoba maples are particularly bad -- I always watch for them when I'm parking in any kind of heavy wind or snow.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2014, 11:03 PM
not a NIMBY

My basil is a goner. But seriously my cul de sac looked like a disaster zone this morning. I have never seen anything like it.
I was talking to a guy at Union cemetery who said the Alberta government brought in forestry workers from Hinton to help with the clean up, and he also said that Queen's Park cemetery had lots more tree damage than Union.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2014, 3:28 AM

NW seems to have worst damage. SE is least hit, but its mostly a factor of how old/big the trees are.

Around the University its still looking like a war zone, mostly medium sized and tiny branches came down, but there is at least one full tree by the pond between MacKimmie and Admin that literally split in half and is fully down. They've been cutting and chipping as fast as they can from what I can see/hear from my office, but its going to be weeks before they get to even just all the bigger branches. And parts are still coming down, I narrowly missed being hit by a branch when I was walking across campus yesterday.

I'm curious how many trees will not make it this winter. Not to mention the ones that will have to be cut down just due to them now leaning where they shouldn't (such as the row along 14th Street SW between the Rockyview and Heritage, they are all now leaning out and onto the right hand lane there resulting in the lane being kept closed since then)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation