HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Jun 18, 2019, 2:46 PM
BANNED

REF: Report to Calgary Planning Commission June 20 ; CPC2019-07492019
https://pub-calgary.escribemeetings....cumentId=95837

Yes, that will be some short term pain no doubt, but makes sense in the long term.

This image really highlights how prominent the old park and jet land is. Curious what ends up going there in the future.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2019, 8:05 PM

I noticed yesterday that the new WB 10th Street S.W. ramp to NB Crowchild Trail is now open. The work was scheduled to go until 6/28 so they finished nearly a full week ahead of time despite the crappy weather. Working 24/7 definitely pays off! There was a big electronic sign indicating of pattern changes so probably more work to come later for the final tie ins. From what I could see it looks the ramp is quite wide which is good.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2019, 8:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbia View Post
REF: Report to Calgary Planning Commission June 20 ; CPC2019-07492019
https://pub-calgary.escribemeetings....cumentId=95837

Yes, that will be some short term pain no doubt, but makes sense in the long term.

This image really highlights how prominent the old park and jet land is. Curious what ends up going there in the future.
That land is held is reserve for future terminal uses.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2019, 9:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcolmTucker View Post
Maybe a good spot for the future airport Transit link maintenance and storage facility, since the APM would need it's own anyway. Although I'm sure the airport wouldn't want to give their land up for that.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2019, 9:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTrainDude View Post
Maybe a good spot for the future airport Transit link maintenance and storage facility, since the APM would need it's own anyway. Although I'm sure the airport wouldn't want to give their land up for that.
Leasing land isn't too bad of a deal - if they did it for free, it would be seen as a $ contribution to the project.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2019, 4:30 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Oh interesting. I always thought Park & Jet owned that land.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2019, 5:28 AM

Quote:
Oh interesting. I always thought Park & Jet owned that land.
I think the airport authority owns all of the land to the north between Barlow and Deerfoot.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2019, 5:29 AM

Quote:
Will that ever be required given the lack of land for another runway?

Old Posted Jun 25, 2019, 7:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
Will that ever be required given the lack of land for another runway?
I believe Heathrow has four terminals and only two runways. YYC should be fine runway wise for a long time to come.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2019, 3:25 PM
BANNED

Quote:
The long-term value of those hotels at the bottom of that picture just went up a couple orders in my mind!

Old Posted Jun 27, 2019, 1:10 AM

Am I in the right thread, please?

As a Vancouverite, who doesn't consult SSP Calgary too often, I was awed by the new gigantic freeway sysyem (sorry I forget the name) that will wrap around 2 sides of the city.

This was super-impressive, and I wish we had just a drop, not much, but nevertheless a tad more of that in our road planning, but that's very much another story.

My major 'concern', if you will, is that this will create huge low desnsity suburban sprawl, (think Phoenix, Los Angeles ...) and create an ever-more car dependent Calgay. Right or wrong?

I would have thought this this huge free-suburban sprawl deal would fly in the face of the development of LRT, maybe subway, commuter rail... any feedback appreciated.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2019, 1:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trofirhen View Post
As a Vancouverite, who doesn't consult SSP Calgary too often, I was awed by the new gigantic freeway sysyem (sorry I forget the name) that will wrap around 2 sides of the city.

This was super-impressive, and I wish we had just a drop, not much, but nevertheless a tad more of that in our road planning, but that's very much another story.

My major 'concern', if you will, is that this will create huge low desnsity suburban sprawl, (think Phoenix, Los Angeles ...) and create an ever-more car dependent Calgay. Right or wrong?

I would have thought this this huge free-suburban sprawl deal would fly in the face of the development of LRT, maybe subway, commuter rail... any feedback appreciated.
Like Edmonton's system the freeway you're referring to will be a complete belt around the city. It's 3/4 done with the last two parts (the work is being split due to the size of the overall project) being done now.

Given Vancouver's near nonexistent road system wouldn't you want a lot more than a tad? To effectively and efficiently move goods and people you need a good road system. Not everyone is going to live in TOD developments nor wants to. No, the road being built in Calgary is not going to result in more sprawl but it will help people who live on the edges of the city get to where they need to go a lot faster than if they had to rely on a road network as bad as Vancouver's. If Vancouver were to build one decent freeway the demand for more would appear over night.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2019, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndogger View Post
the road being built in Calgary is not going to result in more sprawl
Oh, Stoney Trail definitely will, and already is...

Old Posted Jun 27, 2019, 11:47 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
Oh, Stoney Trail definitely will, and already is...
I think the city growing is not something that will change. Either from the inside, or the outside (IE via commuter community growth). What we do require (and have been improving at) is managing better how and what we build. Lamenting Stoney Trail makes no sense.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2019, 6:17 PM

Quote:
I think the city growing is not something that will change. Either from the inside, or the outside (IE via commuter community growth). What we do require (and have been improving at) is managing better how and what we build. Lamenting Stoney Trail makes no sense.
I'm not saying it was a mistake to build Stoney. It's been on the books for a very long time for a reason. I'm saying that claiming that it's not the cause of extra spawl is wrong.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2019, 6:26 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
I'm not saying it was a mistake to build Stoney. It's been on the books for a very long time for a reason. I'm saying that claiming that it's not the cause of extra spawl is wrong.
Got ya. Agreed.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2019, 5:49 AM

Quote:
Like Edmonton's system the freeway you're referring to will be a complete belt around the city. It's 3/4 done with the last two parts (the work is being split due to the size of the overall project) being done now.

Given Vancouver's near nonexistent road system wouldn't you want a lot more than a tad? To effectively and efficiently move goods and people you need a good road system. Not everyone is going to live in TOD developments nor wants to. No, the road being built in Calgary is not going to result in more sprawl but it will help people who live on the edges of the city get to where they need to go a lot faster than if they had to rely on a road network as bad as Vancouver's. If Vancouver were to build one decent freeway the demand for more would appear over night.

Thank you for your reply.
I saw a documentary of it on television and thought it would create low-density sprawl, but I trust your statement that it will serve the outlying areas.
Yes, I would indeed like better roads in Vancouver!! But the geography - urban and natural - there is so complex, that it is a more complex task than in Calgary.
And I'm not knocking what Calgary is building. I'd like a bit of that in Vancouver, for sure, especially ramps and underpasses for quicker, better connectivity.
But peope here have a phobia of freeways, and the only place with anything impressive is the Port Mann Bridge crossing on the Trans-Canada, with the Cape Horn Interchange.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2019, 7:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trofirhen View Post
Thank you for your reply.
I saw a documentary of it on television and thought it would create low-density sprawl, but I trust your statement that it will serve the outlying areas.
Yes, I would indeed like better roads in Vancouver!! But the geography - urban and natural - there is so complex, that it is a more complex task than in Calgary.
And I'm not knocking what Calgary is building. I'd like a bit of that in Vancouver, for sure, especially ramps and underpasses for quicker, better connectivity.
But peope here have a phobia of freeways, and the only place with anything impressive is the Port Mann Bridge crossing on the Trans-Canada, with the Cape Horn Interchange.
Do you remember the name of the documentary? I'm surprised someone would have done one before the entire road is completed.

The road serves a number of purposes including moving goods more efficiently, providing a bypass of Calgary for travelers going elsewhere who don't want to get stuck in traffic going thru the city, and to help suburban commuters move across/around the city much faster. The section being built right now will help commuters a lot as there's a real need for more capacity to serve the area.

The leg being built right now also has some geographic challenges. For example, they're diverting a river in places to build the road. If Seattle can build major freeways there's no reason why Vancouver can't. Calgary (actually the province as it's their road not the city's) also faced one other huge problem that I'm pretty sure Vancouver doesn't. It took decades to work out a land deal with the neighboring First Nation on the western edge of the city. That deal has a number of requirements including completing that section in a set amount of time. If the deadline isn't met the land reverts back and they get to keep the money paid to them. I think they also get to keep the extra land given to them. They also asked for more entry points into their land than the province had planned on building which meant more interchanges. It also requires the city to tie certain roads into the freeway to provide access to their nation. They have plans for some massive developments and want good access to them which makes total sense.

I'm not sure I agree with you that people in Vancouver have a freeway phobia. The politicians and elites definitely do but I have a feeling if a vote was held most people would vote to build something. It's too bad the NDP won the last provincial election in B.C. as it looked like the Liberals had some very impressive road upgrades planned for the lower mainland. Sucks that the NDP cancelled those projects as it would have helped locals and the national economy.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2019, 8:33 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure I agree with you that people in Vancouver have a freeway phobia. The politicians and elites definitely do but I have a feeling if a vote was held most people would vote to build something.
Metro Vancouver, sure. City of Vancouver, nope.

This is the problem of having 20+ municipalities governing a region that is economically a single unit. Imagine if every ward in Calgary was an independant government and just think how much harder it would be to get region wide infrastructure built. Herding cats.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2019, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porfiry View Post
Metro Vancouver, sure. City of Vancouver, nope.

This is the problem of having 20+ municipalities governing a region that is economically a single unit. Imagine if every ward in Calgary was an independant government and just think how much harder it would be to get region wide infrastructure built. Herding cats.
I believe in the City of Vancouver would vote for a freeway.

As for having to deal with a ton of municipalities that's why most freeways are built by a higher order of government. Are there TUCs in B.C. like there are in AB? If not, that's horrible planning on the part of past B.C. governments. If there were that would eliminate opposition to such projects including pipelines. We also badly need a national transportation system in this country to help provide economic prosperity for all Canadians and to prevent fringe groups from holding the nation hostage. This should be a major election issue but if 20% of Canadians think Gilles Duceppe is the PM of Canada they're probably too stupid to see the importance of a national transportation system and plan.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure