HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Jun 6, 2008, 3:10 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWin View Post
So its going to be big then?
I don't think so. I haven't seen any conceptual renderings or drawings, just the way Torode was describing it to me.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2008, 3:18 PM
City of Blinding Lights

Kudos to John for setting the bar for other developers in the city. The art is unique some will love it and I am am sure some will hate it but that is just the nature of art. Any idea if the steel will have colour to it or will it be as shown in the renderings?

I a now waiting to see some art incorporated into the exterior of a building. Something really amazing could be done. For example one of my fave buildings in Victoria is the Mosaic Building on Fort Street.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2008, 3:26 PM

I like it.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2008, 4:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWin View Post
I like it.

But then I like the trees by Bankers Hall too.
Me too.

P.S., Why do so many people hate those trees?

Old Posted Jun 6, 2008, 4:16 PM
not a NIMBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeavedWeb View Post
Me too.

Oh, I always thought they were giant spatulas! I think they make good photo opps for me.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2008, 4:53 PM
of Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeavedWeb View Post
Me too.

Not sure. In the beginning I didn't like them either. Did they take out some real trees to put those there? That may be it.

Over time though, I've come to really like them.
All right... all right... but apart from better sanitation and medicine and education and irrigation and public health and roads and a freshwater system and baths and public order... what have the Romans done for us? NOTHING!

Old Posted Jun 6, 2008, 5:02 PM
Majestic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innersoul1 View Post
Kudos to John for setting the bar for other developers in the city. The art is unique some will love it and I am am sure some will hate it but that is just the nature of art. Any idea if the steel will have colour to it or will it be as shown in the renderings?

I a now waiting to see some art incorporated into the exterior of a building. Something really amazing could be done. For example one of my fave buildings in Victoria is the Mosaic Building on Fort Street.
That building is art itself, even without the front

Flickr

Old Posted Jun 6, 2008, 5:19 PM
City of Blinding Lights

I always called it the peep show building as people on the upper floors rarely use their blinds! LOL

Old Posted Jun 6, 2008, 5:29 PM
of Canada

I hope these works of art will be seen as art rather than just roadside attractions.
All right... all right... but apart from better sanitation and medicine and education and irrigation and public health and roads and a freshwater system and baths and public order... what have the Romans done for us? NOTHING!

Old Posted Jun 6, 2008, 5:59 PM

I have always loved the trees and cannot understand the aversion. My GF hates them! The scribble is unconventional and dare I say dynamic. I love it. A great week for Calgary. Thank you Torode.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2008, 6:04 PM
City of Blinding Lights

Did the winning piece of art HAVE to incorporate the old bungalow school?

Old Posted Jun 6, 2008, 6:35 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
Re: the sculpture (or whatever) at Arriva.

I can't say I like it. I don't get it, and it does nothing for me. Looks like someone hauled over a scrap piece of twisted metal from some building that was demolished.

But whatever, we all have our opinions and I DO like the fact that someone has the vision to at least try something. It's better than nothing at all.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Jun 6, 2008, 6:39 PM
HVAC guru

The one thing I don't like is that the article mentions it will be painted metal. Painted sculptures tend to start looking shabby after a while. I would have prefered to see this in stainless steel or aluminum.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2008, 6:48 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

Quote:
Did the winning piece of art HAVE to incorporate the old bungalow school?
No it did not. About 4 months ago I was talking with Torode about the competition, and he said he was amazed at the scale some of the projects would be. Showing us on the model at the sales centre that they could pretty much set it up anywhere on the site between the towers as they liked. Obviously it would be tweaked a little due to site constraints or restrictions, but they had complete freedom. Something Micah made mention of last night when he was talking. It was completely free to the artists to decide what to do, no pre-requisites.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2008, 6:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240glt View Post
The one thing I don't like is that the article mentions it will be painted metal. Painted sculptures tend to start looking shabby after a while. I would have prefered to see this in stainless steel or aluminum.
Aluminum is a great material for public art in urban areas but it needs to be cleaned every few months with soapy water in order to remove dirt and sulfur deposits caused by exhaust fumes or the surface will become pitted and corroded. Unfortunately, cities rarely incorporate this cost into their budgets. We should treat our art infrastructure with the same care we put into our road and bridge infrastructure. Oops, looking at our roads and bridges, I take that back.

The upside down church ("Device to Root Out Evil") is a powerful work of art. Its appearance is arresting, and makes you think. Is it pro-religious, or anti-religious? Or is it about something else altogether?

This is a shameful episode in Vancouver's art history, and a triumph for Alberta. I hope it has a long life there.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2008, 6:57 PM
City of Blinding Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden West View Post
Aluminum is a great material for public art in urban areas but it needs to be cleaned every few months with soapy water in order to remove dirt and sulfur deposits caused by exhaust fumes or the surface will become pitted and corroded. Unfortunately, cities rarely incorporate this cost into their budgets. We should treat our art infrastructure with the same care we put into our road and bridge infrastructure. Oops, looking at our roads and bridges, I take that back.

The upside down church ("Device to Root Out Evil") is a powerful work of art. Its appearance is arresting, and makes you think. Is it pro-religious, or anti-religious? Or is it about something else altogether?

This is a shameful episode in Vancouver's art history, and a triumph for Alberta. I hope it has a long life there.
With that being said stainless steel is PRICEY as HELL at the moment! I am trying to build a stainless steel fireplace that burns denaturized ethanol and the cost for a sheet of stainless is nuts!

Old Posted Jun 6, 2008, 6:59 PM
HVAC guru

I was just wondering what a half a kilometer of 4-5" stainless tubing would cost. I can't even remember the last time I purchased a bulk amount of it. There's company in Kelowna where I get all my various metals. (copper, aluminum etc) They're pretty reasonable.

ETA: ^ Looks nice I1!

Old Posted Jun 6, 2008, 7:05 PM

Quote:

The Mosaic condo was originally an office building built in 1963 by local modernist architect John Di Castri, who died recently. Here's how the building looked originally:

Note on the right how the motel-style baconies were eliminated and the exterior wall pulled out to the surface. Also note the added penthouse.

The murals were not part of the original plan but were proposed by the developer. When Di Castri heard of the plan he was angry, saying the kitsch of the murals detracted from the building's pure modernism.

In the late 90s when the building was being renovated, the local heritage preservation society complained about the windows cut into the murals but the developer claimed it was absolutely necessary to bring light into the condos. And they said, hey, it's kitsch, so no biggie.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2008, 7:19 PM
City of Blinding Lights

Thanks for the history lesson! I have always wondered about that building!

Old Posted Jun 6, 2008, 7:30 PM
I am the law!

Does Calgary have a 1% or more art "tax" on development or does this factor into density bonusing or is this straight out philanthropy ?

I hate how the scupture overpowers and somewhat clashes with the school. Be much better if it had its own plaza

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation