HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Nov 10, 2015, 5:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryAlex View Post
Why should surface parking be a "given"?
Because suburban retail requires parking and it's usually not feasible to provide this in a parkade given costs and typical rental rates achieved in these properties. The plan has only one surface parking lot and proposes the most parkade space of any project I can think of outside the inner city, so it will be interesting to see how this development fares.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryAlex View Post
Why is the surface parking taking up huge swathes of land dead smack in the center of the plan? Surface parking could have been along the highway on the outside of the plan. Instead it separates areas of the plan entirely.
Not really - the only thing it separates is the Lowblaws liquor store from the Superstore. I'd consider the "high street" area to be the centre of the plan. The surface lot is away from this to the south. The other option would have been to position this to the north alongside 16 Ave, however that would result in an awkward layout for the high street corridor and the exposure to the TransCanada would be comprised of a Superstore

Old Posted Nov 10, 2015, 5:42 PM
City of Blinding Lights

This seems like it might be a poorly executed version of the Uptown Centre in Victoria. The Superstore should have been better integrated.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=uptow...Ch0k-g3h&dpr=1

Old Posted Nov 10, 2015, 6:05 PM

Would it be all that more expensive to do the lower shopping area above a one level parkade? It's on a hill, so wouldn't require much excavating. I assume they will have to build up that area anyway so they are going to be moving lots of dirt.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2015, 6:14 PM
power to the people!

Expensive enough that BB&B, Petsmart, Marshalls etc would look elsewhere.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2015, 6:31 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chealion View Post
Not enough land left for surface parking lots.</sarcasm> The renders look appealing but the overhead view just scream Deerfoot Meadows 2.0.

If that grey portion immediately south of the south boulevard units is supposed to be a two level parkade, I'd like to see more of the top level be a green roof courtyard. Parkades are prime candidates for green roofs, as there is no issues generally about weight or drainage. What I'd like to see happen on that space in addition to good garden design would be market on weekends, including perhaps a night market on summer Saturdays. This would invite more people there, and would itself leverage people coming for other amenities (such as movies or to eat) and walking over from the hotels on the south of 16th. This would also allow patrons to enjoy views of nature looking south, as walking on the boulevard you really mix the broader contexts you're. It would also be positive to get more people to walk the trails in the nature reserve. By the way, what is the path patrons of the Sheraton Four Points and other hotels across 16th would need to walk?

I've not completely thought this through but I've highlighted several times that nature needs to be part of the plan, and I don't necessarily see that.

Would still like to see a hotel there also.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2015, 6:35 PM

There is a hotel included in the plan. I think many of you are looking at only the "town centre" portion of the plan.

http://www.trinity-group.com/wp-cont...inityHill2.pdf

Old Posted Nov 10, 2015, 6:54 PM

Ah, I see. So there are multi level stores in the south and parkades. Thanks for that. The MEC is in the western development by COP, that makes sense for them. My dad will love it, as he lives in Canmore. No need to drive into downtown.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation