HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Trinity Place Building [B] in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • San Francisco Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
San Francisco Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Apr 27, 2013, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy as pie View Post
if i'm really honest with myself, i have to admit that this project is horribly ugly and that i've only really liked (loved?) it because of what it's demolishing, the high number of normal people it's bringing, and the retail wrap. it'll definitely be a complex that's instantly hated, no question, but it serves a super important function in terms of gentrification.

that said, i bet this next phase includes the two central buildings, with the market street-fronting lot serving as a construction staging area.
yup, it's basically a housing project

that said, the value engineering and lack of amenities will help ensure that (many) ppl who make less than 100k can actually afford to live in the city--i see some value in that

Old Posted Apr 29, 2013, 1:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggerhigherfaster View Post
yup, it's basically a housing project

that said, the value engineering and lack of amenities will help ensure that (many) ppl who make less than 100k can actually afford to live in the city--i see some value in that
If you believe that, you're crazy. The only thing the value engineering an lack of amenities do is allow Angelo Sangiacomo to make even more money at the expense of the City. Don't think he's going to charge one penny less than market just because the buildings have been cheapened up.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2013, 3:50 PM

I really like this project and think it looks GREAT. You people are deluded living in your elite San Francisco flats pretending to know what a housing project is. Lol. Get out more before making such judgments.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2013, 4:03 PM
Build Baby Build

Old Posted Apr 29, 2013, 4:12 PM

@cv94117:

Why would you say Sangiacomo is making money "at the expense of the City"?

He is merely filling a much-needed demand for housing, and I for one have a hard time knocking a guy for wanting to earn as much profit as he can from his ventures. I know this may be an extremely unpopular view in SF but there are many of us who still believe that developers are not "responsible" for providing below-market rate housing for everyone who would like to live in the City. They are businesspeople and their function is to provide a service and make as much profit as they can. Period.

It's not at all surprising that developers often employ value engineering after the fact, especially in "command and control" city like SF in which the Powers That Be essentially extort money from them by forcing them to provide a percentage of their units for much less than what they are worth in the real market. This is Econ 1A, that monetary loss WILL be made up somewhere.

And while I agree that the latest phase is very disappointing aesthetically I also totally agree with "easy as pie" that the ultimate impact on Mid-Market should be tremendously positive, and I for one am thrilled to see it go up regardless.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2013, 5:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakamesalad View Post
I really like this project and think it looks GREAT. You people are deluded living in your elite San Francisco flats pretending to know what a housing project is. Lol. Get out more before making such judgments.
San Francisco has tons of housing projects. 30,000 People live in public housing in this city. And what makes you think all of us posters from SF are "elite"? Most SF residents are not elite. But yeah, Trinity place is definitely not a project, that's a pretty funny thing to say. There are some poor residents living there though, with 380 units in the first building reserved for residents of the previous rent-controlled buildings, and there are also at least 12 new below market rate units...but the rest of the units are gonna be market rate.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2013, 5:32 PM
Build Baby Build

Exclamation

You spent all that time lecturing about developers rights and then come to the same conclusion that everyone else has: its ugly. I didnt realize there was anybody on the forum more pro-development than me.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2013, 7:05 PM

I was not saying that Sangiacomo should not be allowed to make as much profit as he can - and I for one disagreed with Chris Daly's extortion of rent-controlled units in the project as a condition of his approval. Nevertheless, Sangiacomo's approval was also based on a far more exciting and refined design than we are getting and he is going back on his word - by "at the expense of the City" I mean at the expense of the City environment. He promised something that supposedly pencilled out financially. He shouldn't be allowed to back off on his commitment because he wants to make more money than he would have made if he built what was approved. I'll bet that if he had shown renderings of the cheap design that is apparently now being built at the time, the project never would have been approved - especially because it is going to be so massive. I actually ran into him at an event a few years ago when the project was still in contention and thanked him for proposing an exciting design by a talented architect, remarking how much it would transform the area. Now he's gone back on his word and the City environment will pay for it. Slimeball.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2013, 7:18 PM

My "housing project" comment was just hyperbole--another way of saying that the building is a rather ugly/bland block and looks a bit cheap relative to other new buildings going up

Also, while Trinity may try to charge every penny that they can, my point is precisely that they won't be able to charge much given the building quality, amenities, aesthetics, and last, but certainly not least, Trinity's horrendous reputation as a building/leasing manager

Old Posted May 1, 2013, 2:28 AM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cv94117 View Post
I for one disagreed with Chris Daly's extortion of rent-controlled units in the project as a condition of his approval.
Sangiacomo got a 1-for-1 density bonus in exchange for those rent-controlled units.

Old Posted May 1, 2013, 2:32 AM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

Quote:
As a proposal, this project was beautiful. As it is now, it's ugly. And knock off the ad hominem--that's not cool.

Old Posted May 1, 2013, 4:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fflint View Post
As a proposal, this project was beautiful. As it is now, it's ugly. And knock off the ad hominem--that's not cool.
You are nothing but a basket of negativity on these forums. Yeah I have opinions at times, but I also contribute my time and effort through photos and research. I have never seen a photo published from you, all you do is belittle everybody else. So why don't YOU knock it off.

Back on topic...

I hope the last phase has more color variation.. I like the rust tones seen in the renderings.

Old Posted May 1, 2013, 3:22 PM

Quote:
You are nothing but a basket of negativity on these forums. Yeah I have opinions at times, but I also contribute my time and effort through photos and research. I have never seen a photo published from you, all you do is belittle everybody else. So why don't YOU knock it off.
What you posted was pretty dumb (as was the comment you made it in response to... but two dumbs don't make a non-dumb). I don't blame fflint for jumping on you because of it.

Old Posted May 1, 2013, 5:56 PM

back on topic, it would be great if someone could get ahold of an updated rendering of the completed project so that we have something concrete to comment on.

Old Posted May 2, 2013, 1:19 AM

specifics

yes. I'd appreciate it if when one of us is critical of a project, they are specific about what they didn't like, rather than just saying "ugly.".... Regarding Trinity, I agree that it would be good to have an undated version of the complete plan..I don't know if that even exists. Anyone? .... I found the original images difficult to judge because they seemed to be glamorized night-time visions. So glamorized that I didn't take them very seriously in the first place.

Old Posted May 2, 2013, 1:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech12 View Post
What you posted was pretty dumb (as was the comment you made it in response to... but two dumbs don't make a non-dumb). I don't blame fflint for jumping on you because of it.
A number of posters here live in high rise apartments with bay and downtown views. Not sure about others but if those who actually live in a housing project were the ones that called this a housing project I apologize. However I doubt that. This is in no way a housing project. Housing projects don't have granite and marble in the lobbies. It actually looks better than Soma Grand next door which is a pretty upscale residence with hotel like amenities. The exterior looks like precast concrete panels and metal, which is what we were expecting right? I just don't get the housing project reference. I've been inside housing projects in Oakland and SF. Therefore, these statements are pretty dumb. If you think I'm dumb for calling that out, so be it.

Old Posted May 2, 2013, 1:58 AM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

Quote:
I also contribute my time and effort through photos and research. I have never seen a photo published from you, all you do is belittle everybody else.
I was a moderator and then an administrator on this forum for well over ten years. I helped build and organize the setup, wrote many of the rules, set up most of the procedures, and spent literally uncountable hours volunteering my time to keep this place running smoothly. I have given more to this forum than you will ever give in your lifetime to all the forums in the world.

Stop insulting people just because they don't share your aesthetics. Seriously, who does that?

Old Posted May 2, 2013, 2:43 AM

I'm not sure how current these are but here are a few renderings of what I believe are Phase 3.

Looking east:

Source: www.construction-today.com
*This one could be Market St. but the setbacks seem to resemble the rendering below

Here you can kind make out Phase 3 (looking north) along Mission St.:

Source: http://bishop.vetsequitycenter.org/t...ce-apartments/

Not the greatest update, but hopefully it will put this thread at peace.

Old Posted May 2, 2013, 5:56 PM

Demolition progress this morning (5/2/2013)

Click to enlarge:

Old Posted May 2, 2013, 6:01 PM

I like this project. With the different dimensions of the buildings it kind of reminds me of the SOHO development in Beijing. Big improvement over what was there previously.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive