HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Sports & Outdoor Recreation

Old Posted Mar 30, 2010, 4:45 AM
Vancouverite

I think the idea of bringing Asian talent is a great one.
I remember seeing all those kids in Beijing playing Bball, and surprised there were more Kobe Bryant Jerseys than YaoMing!

Old Posted Apr 1, 2010, 2:18 AM

Basketball is a bad fit for Vancouver...African American players don't like playing in canada, it will be hard to compete for free agents, due to travel committments and small corporate community

look at the way the raptors struggle...it will be even worse for us here....it may have fan support but not player support

Old Posted Apr 1, 2010, 3:17 AM

^ That was true in the 90's, but I think there is greater awareness and appreciation of Vancouver today. We can't do much about the fact that our city has practically no African Americans (Canadians?), but the NBA attracted a lot of other ethnic groups that are under-represented in the Canucks sellout crowds, and I think the potential is greater today than it was 15 years ago. I think there is room for two teams, given that they will have a common owner, and there is so much interest in sports after the Olympics. It is basically Aquilini's opportunity to double his number of revenue home games, which he has no way to do through the NHL. The TV and radio market is much more amenable to covering two 80+ game teams than it was in the 90's.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2010, 3:47 AM
Vancouverite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zassk View Post
^ That was true in the 90's, but I think there is greater awareness and appreciation of Vancouver today. We can't do much about the fact that our city has practically no African Americans (Canadians?), but the NBA attracted a lot of other ethnic groups that are under-represented in the Canucks sellout crowds, and I think the potential is greater today than it was 15 years ago. I think there is room for two teams, given that they will have a common owner, and there is so much interest in sports after the Olympics. It is basically Aquilini's opportunity to double his number of revenue home games, which he has no way to do through the NHL. The TV and radio market is much more amenable to covering two 80+ game teams than it was in the 90's.
Not to mention that Basketball as a game is become more inclusive, having Asian, European and South American players coming up!

Plus all that matters is the Fan support, you make money from the fans not the players.
Just draft non-NorthAmerican players or do a Toronto and sign people like Turkoglu.

Also remember Toronto is in the top ten money making teams!

Old Posted Apr 1, 2010, 4:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikePhanta View Post
Not to mention that Basketball as a game is become more inclusive, having Asian, European and South American players coming up!

Plus all that matters is the Fan support, you make money from the fans not the players.
Just draft non-NorthAmerican players or do a Toronto and sign people like Turkoglu.

Also remember Toronto is in the top ten money making teams!
Good and valid points. The NBA is more multi-national today than it has ever been and that trend will most likely continue. In particular, there their has never been as many Canadians playing in the NCAA and we likely will see more Canadians in the NBA than ever before in the coming future.

As for teams making money, remember that the Raptors lean heavily on the Maple Leafs for TV, sponsorship, and ticket revenues. Without the Leafs, the Raptors would barely be above the waterline. The good news is that in Vancouver, unlike in the 90's, the Canucks are a money making machine where similar advantages could be exploited.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2010, 6:13 AM
loafing in lotusland

Basketball is MUCH more inclusive than Hockey, that's for sure.

I could count the number of players who come from minorities on both hands.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2010, 6:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastVanMark View Post
Good and valid points. The NBA is more multi-national today than it has ever been and that trend will most likely continue. In particular, there their has never been as many Canadians playing in the NCAA and we likely will see more Canadians in the NBA than ever before in the coming future.

As for teams making money, remember that the Raptors lean heavily on the Maple Leafs for TV, sponsorship, and ticket revenues. Without the Leafs, the Raptors would barely be above the waterline. The good news is that in Vancouver, unlike in the 90's, the Canucks are a money making machine where similar advantages could be exploited.
I wonder if the Aquilini's are interested in bringing a struggling NBA franchise north of the border? If they do what the Raptors are doing (depending heavily upon the Canucks), maybe the franchise would stand a chance of competing with the big market teams. Players want to come into a winning team. Toronto feels much like an american city, Vancouver does not. So, I would definitely go the route of drafting more asian talent, and more european players, than north american players. If our NBA team begins winning games, and establishing itself as a franchise that has high expectations, then I think players will begin to come out. Vancouver has NBA fans in this city. There is no doubt about that. Having the worst team in the league for 6 years, and still averaging (in the 2000-01 season) 13,737 fans is remarkable, considering the team never won more than 23 games a season.

I think the NBA made several mistakes, but no mistake worse than allowing TWO northwest pacific teams to move. Portland basically has no rivals right now. They're closest rival would be Sacramento - which is a team, as of right now, that sucks.

I see the NBA returning to Vancouver some day. I hope Aquilini does make a move for one of the struggling NBA franchises, and move 'em up here, and market them like crazy. Put a good product on the floor, and the fans will come. It comes down to one thing: WIN BABY, WIN.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2010, 6:47 AM

There are several current teams for sale, including one that locals might be familiar with:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memphis_Grizzlies

Old Posted Apr 1, 2010, 7:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastVanMark View Post
There are several current teams for sale, including one that locals might be familiar with:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memphis_Grizzlies
Wouldn't be that justice if the Grizzlies were to return to Vancouver? WOW. I'd laugh at Heisley all the way to the bank. Memphis is drawing poorer now than when they were back in Van. I hope, for as long as they are in Memphis, that they never win a playoff series.

I wonder if Aquilini has interest. He must, eh? To fill the other 41 dates at GM Place, when the Canucks are on the road. If they could get an NBA franchise (one that wins more than 23 games a year) to fill in for the other 41 dates at GM Place, I think things would be very different. Vancouver IS an NBA city. We just need an NBA caliber team to cheer for.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2010, 9:50 AM
Reason and Freedom

What do you think a cool name would be for a new Vancouver NBA franchise? The name "Grizzlies" is tarnished by now I think (assuming we were to buy the Grizzlies).

I am having a hard time thinking of anything really good.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2010, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prometheus View Post
What do you think a cool name would be for a new Vancouver NBA franchise? The name "Grizzlies" is tarnished by now I think (assuming we were to buy the Grizzlies).

I am having a hard time thinking of anything really good.
vancouver Aquas or Whales

Old Posted Apr 1, 2010, 10:31 AM
Reason and Freedom

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansky View Post
vancouver Aquas or Whales
I think we can do a bit better than that.

How about The Vancouver Storm? Or has that already been used before?

Old Posted Apr 1, 2010, 1:44 PM

WNBA - Seattle Storm

Old Posted Apr 1, 2010, 2:02 PM

how about Vancouver Losers - with historical significance and pride...inheriting the last franchise

Old Posted Apr 1, 2010, 2:54 PM
loafing in lotusland

• Vancouver Rain
  • Vancouver Red Dragons ( Suggested by the Chinese community )
  • Vancouver Ravens ( I know it was the Lacrosse Team )
  • Vancouver Predators
  • Vancouver Extinction ( Name suggested by the society for competition with Toronto committee )
  • Vancouver GreenestEvar ( Name suggested by the mayor )
  • Vancouver Sea Lions

Of those, I think Rain has the most potential for fun at games and wordplay.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2010, 3:07 PM

If you want to resurrect another one...
How about Vancouver Mounties?

After the recent embarrassment caused by the short-skirt versions of the mountie uniforms at the Olympic closing ceremonies, how could this be any worse?

Old Posted Apr 1, 2010, 3:19 PM

Something with an edge...

Vancouver Maulers
Vancouver Hitmen

Old Posted Apr 1, 2010, 3:51 PM
testify

the vancouver slithering rattlesnakes? the vancouver vintage toasters? the vancouver barnyard animals? each of those team names is as likely as the return of nba basketball to vancouver.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2010, 4:33 PM
loafing in lotusland

An edge, you say?
  • Vancouver Ponies
  • Vancouver Unicorns
  • Vancouver Popsicles
  • Vancouver Narwhals
  • Vancouver Mermen
  • Vancouver Fast Fairies [sic]
  • Vancouver Minimum-wagers
  • Vancouver Nimbys
  • Vancouver Bunnies/Kittens/Puppies
  • Vancouver Sea Otters

Old Posted Apr 1, 2010, 5:01 PM

Vancouver Spirit Bears?
Vancouver Spotted Owls?

or something more dear to home...

Vancouver Panhandlers?
Vancouver Anarchists?
Vancouver Black Bloc?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Sports & Outdoor Recreation