HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Apr 6, 2016, 1:35 PM

I do know about the 737's they have on order, which will not be delivered for years. And as for Southwest, those were only a few obsolete 717's. I can't see Alaska selling over 60 perfectly good (and relatively new) aircraft. They are trying to establish a west coast dominance, while expanding eastward. Besides, we don't even know if/when alaska will merge the two airlines.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2016, 4:22 PM

Strange coincidence... I'm currently typing this in Reno-Tahoe International awaiting my Alaska flight back to SLC connecting through Portland.

My first time flying Alaska and I'm impressed.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2016, 7:31 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasatch Wasteland View Post
I do know about the 737's they have on order, which will not be delivered for years. And as for Southwest, those were only a few obsolete 717's. I can't see Alaska selling over 60 perfectly good (and relatively new) aircraft. They are trying to establish a west coast dominance, while expanding eastward. Besides, we don't even know if/when alaska will merge the two airlines.
By a few you do realize there were almost 100 717's that Delta bought from Southwest, right? Definitely not a small "few" amount. Delta also got a killer deal with them as well. Alaska's big order of aircraft is already underway and that will carry on into 2017. After that they have another big order of the new 737 MAX that will give them about another 40 aircraft so after all of this, they will have about 65 new aircraft probably by about 2019-2020.

I can definitely see Alaska selling 60 perfectly good used A320's. It would definitely help with the $2.6 billion deal they made and like I said there will be plenty of other airlines that will most likely want them.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2016, 11:00 PM

Well you obviously seem to know more about the industry than I. Does this mean Alaska will kill the Virgin Brand eventually?

Old Posted Apr 7, 2016, 2:09 AM
I took a bus pic, CIRRUS

Quote:
Well you obviously seem to know more about the industry than I. Does this mean Alaska will kill the Virgin Brand eventually?

Yes. Besides KLM-Air France and British Airways-Ibera, I can't think of another active 2 airline group. Eastern-Continental was the last 2 airline group in the US. As for how that went, find some older United workers from the Continental days and ask their opinion on Frank Lorenzo, the former CEO of the two who is actually banned from running airlines.

"Of course you're right." Cirrus

Old Posted Apr 18, 2016, 3:50 AM

United is starting flights to Newark. Delta offers flights to Newark and JFK already, but do not offer flights to LaGuardia. I never realized this. Why on earth would Delta not offer flights to another major delta hub? As far as demand goes there is obviously some between SLC and NY, there are multiple daily flights between the two.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2016, 2:53 PM

Quote:
United is starting flights to Newark. Delta offers flights to Newark and JFK already, but do not offer flights to LaGuardia. I never realized this. Why on earth would Delta not offer flights to another major delta hub? As far as demand goes there is obviously some between SLC and NY, there are multiple daily flights between the two.
LGA is more of an east coast hub for delta. They don't fly to the west coast hubs (LAX, SLC or SEA).

Old Posted Apr 18, 2016, 7:09 PM
BANNED

Quote:
LaGuardia has a perimeter restriction on flights. No flights can be more than 1,500 miles away from LaGuardia. The only airport with an exception is Denver. All other airports such as LAX, SAN, SLC, SEA, SFO, LAS, PDX, PHX, etc. can fly to/from LaGuardia but they can only be Saturday only flights. Delta has tried Saturday only flights a few years ago from Salt Lake City and it was very unsuccessful.

Yes United is starting Newark in December. I think it will be successful this time. They tried it several years back when it was Continental but didn't find success. They will be joining Delta as the only other carrier flying to Newark from Salt Lake City. As for JFK Delta has either four or five flights a day depending on the day of the week between the airports. JetBlue has one daily flight which is a red eye on the east bound flight and an evening departure on the west bound flight with a late night arrival. SLC is covered very well as far as flights from the NYC area goes. I wouldn't be surprised to see American or maybe even Alaska (after they have merged Virgin America into themselves of course) try a nonstop between JFK and Salt Lake City maybe in the next couple years.

The Delta London-Heathrow flight starts late this week and the KLM Amsterdam flight and Air Canada Toronto flight begin in May. Exciting times in SLC.

Also Boutique Air has begun their flights out of Salt Lake City to both Vernal and Moab. They are operating out of the FBO on the southeast side of the airport on the general aviation ramp. I had a rare opportunity to take a round trip from SLC to Moab a few weeks back. It was a great flight and they offer great service. They offer shuttle service to the main terminals for passengers with "connecting" flights on other airlines.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2016, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by San Diego-Honolulu View Post
LaGuardia has a perimeter restriction on flights. No flights can be more than 1,500 miles away from LaGuardia. The only airport with an exception is Denver. All other airports such as LAX, SAN, SLC, SEA, SFO, LAS, PDX, PHX, etc. can fly to/from LaGuardia but they can only be Saturday only flights. Delta has tried Saturday only flights a few years ago from Salt Lake City and it was very unsuccessful.

LGA has a flight to Bozeman Montana seasonally as well, which is 1800 miles. Wonder why that is an exception.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2016, 12:55 AM
They all float down here

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrendog View Post
LGA has a flight to Bozeman Montana seasonally as well, which is 1800 miles. Wonder why that is an exception.
Bozeman is a huge tourist draw due to Yellowstone. That's my guess.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2016, 1:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
Bozeman is a huge tourist draw due to Yellowstone. That's my guess.
I get why there are flights to Bozeman, just don't understand why there would be an exception from the 1500 mile rule from Laguardia for Bozeman and not a bunch of other destinations (with huge tourist draws) outside of the limited radius.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2016, 1:43 AM
BANNED

Quote:
I get why there are flights to Bozeman, just don't understand why there would be an exception from the 1500 mile rule from Laguardia for Bozeman and not a bunch of other destinations (with huge tourist draws) outside of the limited radius.
It's because the Bozeman flight even though seasonal is Saturday ONLY. Any airline can fly outside the 1,500 miles but it's going to be Saturday only flights, again the only exception is Denver which can run daily flights any day of the week. An airline could fly LaGuardia to St. George, Utah nonstop but it would only be allowed the Saturday only flight rule....just as Los Angeles and Bozeman fall under that exact same rule.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2016, 1:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by San Diego-Honolulu View Post
It's because the Bozeman flight even though seasonal is Saturday ONLY. Any airline can fly outside the 1,500 miles but it's going to be Saturday only flights, again the only exception is Denver which can run daily flights any day of the week. An airline could fly LaGuardia to St. George, Utah nonstop but it would only be allowed the Saturday only flight rule....just as Los Angeles and Bozeman fall under that exact same rule.
Whoops. Gotcha. You did mention that.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2016, 5:55 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
It's not just tourists. A high percentage of land outside of Bozeman as well as Big Sky is owned by NYC and some DC residents. They leave the sweltering heat to be in the BZN area for summer. Many commute back and forth a few times in the summer.

BZN does get some of the tourists, but far more enter the Park by the south. Those are usually people who want to see the Grand Tetons too.
Delta's seasonal flight from Minneapolis to Idaho Falls is packed, along with other United etc. flights.

Side fact: Last year YNP broke it's all time record of visitors. This year is expected to surpass last year as YNP is 100 years old.

Last edited by N2I.F.; Apr 23, 2016 at 6:15 PM.

Old Posted May 2, 2016, 11:26 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

I know I'm not the only one that called this.

SLC International Airport to get another concourse

SALT LAKE CITY — The airport is expanding again.

The Salt Lake City International Airport announced on Monday that it would be adding another concourse to the terminal redevelopment project, adding 30 extra gates with room to grow. The north concourse would cost $740 million to build, bringing the total project from $1.8 to $2.6 billion.

http://fox13now.com/2016/05/02/slc-i...her-concourse/

If they see the need is going to be there about the time the first concourse is done they might as well build both of them. Plus I always hated the thought of the brand new concourse with B, C and D still being that stupid cul-de-sac design.

SPHansen gave me the heads up on this one.

Old Posted May 2, 2016, 11:35 PM
Exurb Enjoyer

Eat your heart out San Diego-Honolulu

Old Posted May 3, 2016, 12:39 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.p.hansen View Post
Eat your heart out San Diego-Honolulu
I love it! This will put the SLC airport up there with the Denver and Las Vegas airports. I'm glad they are going ahead with this, from a safety point of view and also an aircraft movement standpoint and the case that all the airlines need more gates at SLC especially Alaska, Delta, Frontier, JetBlue, and American.

Hopefully the design is something that is welcoming and shows off the views of the mountains.

Old Posted May 3, 2016, 1:17 PM

This is huge news for the SLC airport! It only made sense to rebuild the entire airport together. The airport would have had a weird layout if they had left the B,C and D concourses. They would have spent a lot of money to renovate these concourses only to tear them down in the not too distant future. I just hope that they make the connections between the north and south concourses easy for those trying to connect flights.

I will be closely watching the new KLM AMS-SLC flights that begin this week. If they are successful then that will open the doors for more European airlines to come into SLC. It looks like the intial KLM flights to and from SLC will be full or close to full. Exciting times for the people of Utah and SLC!

Old Posted May 3, 2016, 2:40 PM

Great news. Very pleased about this. Now, in for the sake of rampant speculation (why else would sites like this exist?) - supposing the airport expansion is wildly successful and brings in even more air traffic to SLC... what options are there to expand the airport even more? Like, could we see the potential addition of a third concourse farther north?

Old Posted May 3, 2016, 3:34 PM

Not going to say this is the case now but my father was on a committee that saw master plans for the airport years ago (about 15) and it showed 6 terminals and six runways. This meant the charter airport was moved. Anyways not saying it will ever happen but they have plans for a very large airport if needed.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West