HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Apr 23, 2015, 7:41 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayorOfChicago View Post
edit: looked like the house approved it within minutes...ha.
what a magnificently swift rebuke to friends of the parking lot.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2015, 8:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
what a magnificently swift rebuke to friends of the parking lot.
It's really a shame the FOTPs had to become so rigid with these two museums. I think there is a place for the group in Chicago, they just went over board on these two proposals. I imagine the ED who is leaving realized this and wanted out.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2015, 8:08 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
I wonder if that will cause Lucas to take his ball and go home to California.

You do know that Lucas lives here in Chicago, right? His wife is a Chicago native, they had a wedding reception in Chicago and have already donated millions to Chicago based non-profits, outside of this museum and it's proposed collection.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2015, 8:34 PM
The City

I bet you this is just another generational thing. I bet that Friends of the Parking Lot are the same old farts that oppose development everywhere and want more parking. I wonder how many members under the age of 40 they have?

That same demographic probably is too old to have appreciated most of George Lucas' films and just think of him as a maker of "kid's movies" and "how can he possibly have a worthwhile art collection"?

Old Posted Apr 23, 2015, 8:35 PM

Lucas lives in the Park Hyatt building, which explains him randomly showing up in the background of a science documentary: http://youtu.be/oAVCaUonrbE?t=13m37s

Old Posted Apr 23, 2015, 8:40 PM

Quote:
Well look at that, Illinois' government can actually move pretty damn fast when they want to. Bill first introduced yesterday, approved through committee today, approved by the senate and now on to the House and the Gov.

http://www.wbez.org/news/lawmakers-f...-museum-111931

Hilarious, I guess that means that the FOTP lawsuit will be thrown out now.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2015, 8:43 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
I bet you this is just another generational thing. I bet that Friends of the Parking Lot are the same old farts that oppose development everywhere and want more parking. I wonder how many members under the age of 40 they have?

That same demographic probably is too old to have appreciated most of George Lucas' films and just think of him as a maker of "kid's movies" and "how can he possibly have a worthwhile art collection"?
the prime age range these days for star wars fandom is probably 38-58 (people who were between the ages of 0 and 20 when "a new hope" was 1st released way back in '77).

Old Posted Apr 23, 2015, 8:48 PM
BANNED

Quote:
the prime age range these days for star wars fandom is probably 38-58 (people who were between the ages of 0 and 20 when "a new hope" was 1st released way back in '77).
eh it goes a lot younger. the extended universe brought in a lot of millennials, all the books and games and toys.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2015, 9:14 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Off topic, but I'd consider myself a Star Wars fan. Was naively really into the prequels (only now as an adult do I realize how actually bad they are haha) and loved the original three as a kid. I'm really looking forward to the latest reboot.

I was born in 86. I'm not sure Star Wars has quite the age restricted fan base. And that's what I think makes it so great; it's timeless.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2015, 9:19 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^ i wasn't trying to say that the fandom is exclusively restricted to that age range, just that people who grew up with the original trilogy (and its totally kick-ass toys) are probably the prime group of the fandom.

i'm glad to hear that the follow-up generations are into it too.

my real point was that there are a shit load of people over the age of 40 who are still WAY into stars wars. it was the foundation of our entire childhood.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2015, 9:34 PM

Quote:
Well look at that, Illinois' government can actually move pretty damn fast when they want to. Bill first introduced yesterday, approved through committee today, approved by the senate and now on to the House and the Gov.

http://www.wbez.org/news/lawmakers-f...-museum-111931

Well FotP made it really easy for them. Their opinions on Obama Library and Lucas Museum being widely unpopular with the public makes this a slam dunk for any politician looking toward re-elected. #defeatedByDemocracy

Old Posted Apr 23, 2015, 9:41 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
[/B]
You do know that Lucas lives here in Chicago, right? His wife is a Chicago native, they had a wedding reception in Chicago and have already donated millions to Chicago based non-profits, outside of this museum and it's proposed collection.
I think it was more than just a reception, I think the actual wedding was at Promontory Point.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2015, 10:18 PM
BANNED

Quote:
^ i wasn't trying to say that the fandom is exclusively restricted to that age range, just that people who grew up with the original trilogy (and its totally kick-ass toys) are probably the prime group of the fandom.

i'm glad to hear that the follow-up generations are into it too.

my real point was that there are a shit load of people over the age of 40 who are still WAY into stars wars. it was the foundation of our entire childhood.
I have a feeling the new reboot will create a whole new generation of life long fans of the franchise. Lucas really is a genius.

Also, original fans can say what they will about the middle trilogy, and I do agree that they were horrible in many ways. Nonetheless, they really got me, and others within 5 years of me, into the franchise beyond what watching the original three ever could have...

I suspect the new reboot will be similar to Nolan's Batman resurrection. I'm expecting an epic new story and set of films!

Long live Star Wars

Old Posted Apr 23, 2015, 10:38 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
I think it was more than just a reception, I think the actual wedding was at Promontory Point.
You're probably correct - my point was that he isn't some type of heartless carpetbagger trying to swindle the good, God-fearin' folks of this small town. I believe he genuinely cares about Chicago and wants his namesake museum to reflect a legacy of not just pop-culture hits but of singular and beautiful artwork that millions can enjoy over many many years.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2015, 2:13 PM
devout Pizzatarian

so apparently the bill made it to Rauner's desk yesterday, but i haven't seen any follow-up articles about whether or not he's going to sign it.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2015, 2:19 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
so apparently the bill made it to Rauner's desk yesterday, but i haven't seen any follow-up articles about whether or not he's going to sign it.
Is there any reason he wouldn't?

Old Posted Apr 24, 2015, 5:30 PM
The City

^ Just to create suspense... you know how politicians are with their drama and theatrics.

I bet he'll sign it but may try to get something out of it. What a great form of leverage this is.

Old Posted May 1, 2015, 3:41 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Sun-Times exclusive: Gov. Rauner to sign Obama Library, Lucas Museum bill
Posted: 05/01/2015, 09:57am | Lynn Sweet

WASHINGTON — Gov. Bruce Rauner on Friday afternoon will sign the bill making it harder to legally challenge the construction of the Obama presidential library complex and the Lucas Museum.

“I am very excited about it. I look forward to signing it,” Rauner told the Sun-Times.

“I plan to sign it this afternoon as soon as I get back to Springfield,” he added. “The bill obviously makes it easier to get the Obama Library in Chicago. And I think the president’s library will be a very benefit to the state of Illinois and to the city of Chicago and I am very supportive of that.”

Likewise, he said, “I also think the Lucas museum will be a big benefit to the state of Illinois and the city of Chicago and I am supportive of that.”
source: http://chicago.suntimes.com/lynn-swe...imes-exclusive

Old Posted May 1, 2015, 3:59 PM

Last edited by 123fakestreet; Feb 23, 2016 at 6:30 PM.

Old Posted May 1, 2015, 4:59 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123fakestreet View Post
So he's very supportive of the library but only supportive of the museum? Crap.
So yes, he's supportive of both..not sure I understand - do you mean the Lucas Museum or the Obama library/museum?

Regardless, as much as I dislike Rauner to a degree, I'm glad this is happening because there will many new jobs (both temporary and permanent) that will be nothing but a benefit to Chicago and even Illinois at large. Game over.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive