HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Feb 26, 2008, 6:48 AM
Loving SA 365 days a year

SAN ANTONIO │ Big Tex │ 4 FLOORS│Under Construction

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/met...s.385ea14.html

Quote:
EPA testing Big Tex plant site for asbestos

Web Posted: 02/25/2008 10:46 PM CST

Anton Caputo
Express-News

Crews in full "moon suits" and respirators have been all over the old Big Tex site the past few days trying to determine how much asbestos is left over from the area's industrial past.

The testing, conducted by the Environmental Protection Agency, is the next step in a process to transform the area, home to a collection of dilapidated metal buildings on the banks of the San Antonio River, into a multimillion-dollar mixed-use development.

"The sooner we know what is going on, the better for everybody," said Eric Delgado, EPA on-scene coordinator.

The stretch of metal buildings off Probandt Street in the King William neighborhood got its common name, Big Tex, from a grain company that operated there. But it's the facility's association with W.R. Grace & Co. that has attracted the attention of federal cleanup crews.

W.R. Grace & Co. now is known to have sent millions of tons of vermiculite ore from its mine in Libby, Mont., to 200 locations throughout the country despite, according to federal court documents, company officials' knowledge that the ore was tainted with tremolite asbestos. This is a particularly hazardous form of asbestos that can cause lung cancer and other deadly illnesses. The San Antonio site was one of the company's largest plants, processing 124,000 tons of the tainted ore from 1961 to 1989.

Crews are in the middle of punching 320 holes in the site, taking samples of dirt from each, typically at depths of 6 inches but as deep as 2 feet in some spots. They probably will be at the site until the end of this week testing the soil as well as shafts underneath the facility, Delgado said.

Lab results won't be available for three to four weeks. Then crews will return for a series of tests to determine how much asbestos dust is kicked into the air by normal activity. Cleanup work should be completed by the end of the year.

Developer James Lifshutz wants to redevelop the 7.5-acre site in the style of the trendy Blue Star Arts Complex that stands nearby, but he has said he will do so only after authorities give the property an unequivocal clean bill of health.

Bottom right

Old Posted May 31, 2013, 9:55 PM

Big Tex

The site plan and scaling of the Big Tex mixed-use development just south of Southtown has received HDRC approval. The final designs are not shown in the renderings below.

Big Tex will have 321 apartments and 6,500 sq ft of commercial space. There will also be a wrapped around parking garage and a connection to the hike and bike trail along the Mission Reach of the San Antonio River.

Old Posted May 31, 2013, 10:01 PM

Realizing that this is not final design, I sure hope they plan on planting real trees. Enough with the palm trees; plant something that provides shade.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2013, 2:09 AM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by kornbread View Post
Realizing that this is not final design, I sure hope they plan on planting real trees. Enough with the palm trees; plant something that provides shade.
Live Oaks. They grow slowly, but after 20 years... damn.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2013, 6:57 AM

The location of the Big Tex development in relation to downtown.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2013, 6:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kornbread View Post
In the pdf document, the renderings show both palm tree lined sidewalks and live oak lined sidewalks. Which one they go with is anyone's guess right now.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2013, 4:27 PM

Following sirkingwilliams' suggestion on titles, I propose we update this to

Blue Star II | 4 Floors | Proposed

Or

Blue Star II | 4 Floors | 350 units | Proposed

Old Posted Jun 9, 2013, 6:07 PM

I wish they'd make one of the SA regulers a mod.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2014, 2:00 AM

I don't know if this was reported anywhere else already, but after biking through the area this evening, I can confirm this thing is now under construction! It looks like demo has been completed on everything except the old silo(?) and the whole lot has been broken up for foundation work.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2014, 5:23 PM

Awesome! Does anyone have any pictures?

Old Posted May 10, 2014, 8:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
Awesome! Does anyone have any pictures?
Here you go!

Old Posted May 14, 2014, 11:57 PM

Thanks WorldTexas. Looks like we should see more progress here in the coming months.

Old Posted May 29, 2014, 7:01 AM

Quote:
The dirt will be flying soon on one of the latest multifamily projects within the center city.

This Friday, James Lifshutz of Lifshutz Cos. LP and Dan Markson Sr. of NRP Group LLC will join city officials to celebrate the start of construction on Big Tex — a $50 million plan to turn the former Big Tex Grain Co. into an eclectic urban residential community.

Plans call for 336 units and 6,000 square feet of ground-floor retail space.

Mayor Julián Castro and Bexar County Judge Nelson Wolff will also be on hand for the event.

The project is now being hailed as the gateway to the Mission Reach portion of the San Antonio River.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2015, 10:41 AM

Has anyone heard of any updates on Big Tex? I've tried to drive past to see if the project is making progress but never seem to see anything.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2015, 9:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mklunder13 View Post
Has anyone heard of any updates on Big Tex? I've tried to drive past to see if the project is making progress but never seem to see anything.
If you walk along the river you will have a front-row seat.

I walked past the site a few months ago. A lot of excavations were dug for foundations, the old grain building looked gutted and ready for reconstruction, the property was leveled and looked ready for poured concrete. If it still looks like that today, I would wonder why.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2015, 9:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mklunder13 View Post
They took the summer off and hit it hard in the late fall. The foundations for the eastern units were poured weeks ago; I'd guess the framing should be going up by now. The concrete columns also went up for what I believe is the retail space at the western entrance. They were also digging out a level for the garage.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2015, 10:40 AM

Some construction photos from this past Sunday. With all the delays, it looks like this one and the Transwestern project across the street will deliver fairly close together.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2015, 2:16 AM

More changes coming to Blue Star.

Quote:
A Portion Of Historic Blue Star Complex To Be Demolished For New Four-Story Development
Posted By Albert Salazar

The San Antonio Current has obtained a notice that was distributed to Blue Star residents informing them of the plans. The letter indicated that a portion of Building 125, which is toward the back of the complex near the Probandt exit, will be torn down to make room for what is described as "a four (4) story building that will include commercial/retail space on the ground floor and up to twenty-for (24) apartment lofts on the second, third and fourth floors."

Old Posted Dec 30, 2015, 11:51 PM

Almost 8 years after the first post in this thread, this one is finally nearing completion!

I wonder if they turn those mini-silos into pop up retail? Or a fruit stand?

What're doing with the old big silo?

Old Posted Dec 31, 2015, 1:46 AM
James

I haven't seen these at all!

I think they were turning the little silos into art studios weren't they?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio