HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Closed Thread

Old Posted Jun 13, 2012, 1:24 PM

MLS in San Antonio?

A recent article in the Business Journal suggests they are interested in San Antonio.

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanantoni....html?page=all

Old Posted Jan 29, 2014, 2:08 PM
“The Big EasyChair”

MLS expansion report: San Antonio scored meeting with Garber

Could MLS see a third team in Texas as part of its goal to have 24 teams by the end of the decade? San Antonio’s mayor and NASL franchise hope that’s the case as they met with MLS commissioner Don Garber on Tuesday.

Mayor Julian Castro and San Antonio Scorpions owner Gordon Hartman were set to meet with Garber ahead of Wednesday’s match between Mexico and South Korea, after Garber had to cancel a New York meeting with Castro in late 2013.

“(Garber) is certainly aware of growing popularity of the sport in San Antonio, and he’s excited to learn more during the visit,” MLS spokesman Dan Courtemanche said. “Clearly the Scorpions have been a tremendous success at the lower divisions, as illustrated by their strong support. It’s something all of us in the American soccer community have noticed.”
Surely the club would love to be in the news for something much bigger than trading a player for team travel accommodations.

The report from the San Antonio Express News notes that the league is braced for twin interest from the NASL’s Minnesota United in addition to one from the NFL’s Minnesota Vikings, as well as Atlanta and, of course, David Beckham in Miami.

The former Manchester United, Real Madrid and LA Galaxy star has been working to drum up support for a soccer specific stadium in South Florida, enthusiastically aided by Miami-Dade mayor Carlos Gimenez and the pair will meet next Tuesday or Wednesday to go over their ideas.

http://prosoccertalk.nbcsports.com/2...ext-week-push/

Old Posted Mar 9, 2014, 10:53 PM
Member since 2001

The MLS brass is pitting San Antonio against Austin for a franchise. The MLS has said they want new venues to be in or near downtowns. If this is the case, San Antonio and Austin are in a dead heat. Neither city has anything in development for a downtown, soccer-specific stadium seating approximately 20,000.

If not, San Antonio is the clear winner. They already has an expandable, soccer-specific stadium (Toyota Field) in northeast SA. It already has plans to be able to expand to 18,500 seats (including 32 luxury/VIP suites).

This will be interesting to watch...

Old Posted Mar 27, 2014, 6:44 AM

Apparently, someone's a wee bit too gullible. It's a prank/joke story.

Last edited by sirkingwilliam; Mar 27, 2014 at 7:13 AM.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2014, 11:13 PM
Member since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schertz1 View Post
Gullible? To what are you referring? If you are referring to yesterday's Austin Chronicle story...note: my comments were posted on March 9, long before that story was written!!!

My comments stemmed from a Business Journal op-ed.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2014, 1:12 AM
Loving SA 365 days a year

My EDIT was note directed at you but a link to a story.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2014, 6:06 AM

Quote:

Not really following you here. Yah, the article is way out there and loaded with questionable facts and dates. In fact, it has changed since yesterday. However it is about Austin and Austin currently defies logic.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2014, 8:29 AM

Quote:
Not really following you here. Yah, the article is way out there and loaded with questionable facts and dates. In fact, it has changed since yesterday. However it is about Austin and Austin currently defies logic.
It's an April fools joke.

Key advice: Don't believe everything you read online.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2014, 2:53 AM

I appreciate the tip. I'll be sure to start looking for the jokes early next year.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2014, 4:27 AM
“The Big EasyChair”

Quote:
A recent article in the Business Journal suggests they are interested in San Antonio.

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanantoni....html?page=all
It's been awhile since I lived in SA, can you share with me where the stadium site is a little better.?

Old Posted Mar 31, 2014, 5:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban_encounter View Post
It's been awhile since I lived in SA, can you share with me where the stadium site is a little better.?
It's located on the northeast side. It was built in an old abandonded quarry.

Basically, where the red star is.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2014, 3:04 AM
“The Big EasyChair”

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
It's located on the northeast side. It was built in an old abandonded quarry.

Basically, where the red star is.

Perfect, thanks for the info

Old Posted Apr 8, 2014, 1:28 PM

It looks like Atlanta is the front runner:

http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/bl...ccer-team.html

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2014, 2:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill Country View Post
It looks like Atlanta is the front runner:

http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/bl...ccer-team.html
Wow, what a terribly reported article.

Quote:
Orlando (1) has already agreed to build a new downtown stadium to house a new Florida MLS team that will join the league in 2015 along with a second team in New York City (2), while Houston's MLS franchise moved into a brand-new stadium built downtown in 2012. British soccer star David Beckham is now drumming up support for a new franchise in Miami (3).
The author thinks that the second team in NYC is part of the 4 new franchises and that Atlanta is getting the fourth and final spot.

The NYC team will become the 20th MLS franchise; this news came out a long time ago. After that announcement MLS said that they would expand to 24 teams.

Orlando, Miami, and Atlanta have basically been locks for a long time. MLS has really wanted to break into the Southeast. The competition is for that 4th and final spot.

Cities competing for final spot:
- Minneapolis
- Sacramento
- San Antonio
- Austin
- St. Louis
- San Diego

Thanks for the link though, I needed a good laugh.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2017, 9:56 AM

MLS getting closer? official bid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AesA7GR_PAE

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLtoSA View Post
Wow, what a terribly reported article.

The author thinks that the second team in NYC is part of the 4 new franchises and that Atlanta is getting the fourth and final spot.

The NYC team will become the 20th MLS franchise; this news came out a long time ago. After that announcement MLS said that they would expand to 24 teams.

Orlando, Miami, and Atlanta have basically been locks for a long time. MLS has really wanted to break into the Southeast. The competition is for that 4th and final spot.

Cities competing for final spot:
- Minneapolis
- Sacramento
- San Antonio
- Austin
- St. Louis
- San Diego

Thanks for the link though, I needed a good laugh.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2017, 2:54 PM

Thanks for sharing that video! The past few weeks I've been reading more and more on the expansion. I know there was a lot of talk about Austin being in competition with us, but it'd appear that as of yesterday (deadline to submit applications) Austin didn't submit anything. I know SA was trying to sell MLS on the SA/Austin megaregion and also used Austin as an excuse for why the stadium isn't in downtown SA, since the stadium is so close to 35.

Anyone have thoughts as to who they think MLS will select? They plan for four, but only announcing two this year from what I've gathered.

San Antonio- Having SS&E as the owners is a huge plus, but plans & funding for stadium expansion leaves questions.
Phoenix- Not sure Phoenix can get its act together quickly enough for this. I live here and haven't heard much, not like I have SA.
San Diego- MLS could consider now that the Chargers have left a big void.
Sacramento- From what I've read, they seem to be the most prepared.
St. Louis- Same as San Diego, no more Rams, but city seems eager for soccer and has a good location for their stadium. Would also make a good rival for Sporting KC.
Indianapolis
Cincinnati
Detroit
Nashville
Charlotte
Raleigh
Tampa/St. Petersburg

More on Austin and MLS LINK

Old Posted Feb 1, 2017, 3:52 PM

MLS is big Ponzi scheme. Too poorly run to justify the price for entry.

But, as long as it'd SS&E's money, and not publicly financed, I won't gripe too much.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2017, 5:36 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean1187 View Post
Thanks for sharing that video! The past few weeks I've been reading more and more on the expansion. I know there was a lot of talk about Austin being in competition with us, but it'd appear that as of yesterday (deadline to submit applications) Austin didn't submit anything. I know SA was trying to sell MLS on the SA/Austin megaregion and also used Austin as an excuse for why the stadium isn't in downtown SA, since the stadium is so close to 35.

Anyone have thoughts as to who they think MLS will select? They plan for four, but only announcing two this year from what I've gathered.

San Antonio- Having SS&E as the owners is a huge plus, but plans & funding for stadium expansion leaves questions.
Phoenix- Not sure Phoenix can get its act together quickly enough for this. I live here and haven't heard much, not like I have SA.
San Diego- MLS could consider now that the Chargers have left a big void.
Sacramento- From what I've read, they seem to be the most prepared.
St. Louis- Same as San Diego, no more Rams, but city seems eager for soccer and has a good location for their stadium. Would also make a good rival for Sporting KC.
Indianapolis
Cincinnati
Detroit
Nashville
Charlotte
Raleigh
Tampa/St. Petersburg

More on Austin and MLS LINK
This is going to be about media markets and geographic footprint.

St Louis is desired by MLS. If they can figure out a stadium, they're in.

Sacramento has been told that "it's a matter of when not if" and their stadium is shovel-ready.

Cincinnati has 10k season ticket holders and 10 Fortune500 companies to boast.

Tampa/St Pete has a downtown stadium and an upgrade/expansion plan in place - and is the largest media market not in MLS.

Detroit has a downtown stadium plan and owner of Cleveland Cavs and Detroit Pistons joining forces in their bid. ($$$$!!!!)

Shall we go on?

This is a BIG hill to climb for San Antonio. Still possible, but longshot.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2017, 5:38 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

You can read all about the various bids here: http://www.si.com/planet-futbol/mls-...-bids-28-teams

Really a great look at who we're bidding against...and the page is updated as more of the city profiles are completed.

Here is San Antonio's specifically: http://www.si.com/planet-futbol/mls-...ty-san-antonio

Old Posted Feb 7, 2017, 7:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakyle04 View Post
You can read all about the various bids here: http://www.si.com/planet-futbol/mls-...-bids-28-teams

Really a great look at who we're bidding against...and the page is updated as more of the city profiles are completed.

Here is San Antonio's specifically: http://www.si.com/planet-futbol/mls-...ty-san-antonio

I think San Antonio's chances are pretty good because of the reputable, financially able, ownership group involved.
We shall see!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio